surname White is listed as the most common name in Newfoundland,
according to Family Names of the Island of Newfoundland . Our
White family connections in Newfoundland were first recorded in the
Bonavista Bay area, with a marriage in 1786 between Edward White and
Elizabeth Greenan. This family had four children - William, Thomas,
Edward, and Mary. It would be a member of this family William White
(1790-1862) who was immortalized in song.
Tickle Cove Pond was written by Mark
Tickle Cove boatbuilder and songwriter.
can always rely on the Oldfords
To render assistance in all your bad
To help a poor neighbour is part of their lives.
The same I can say for their children and wives. . .
. . . William White for a shanty song made a request.
There was no time for thinking, no time for delay.
Straight from his head came this song right away.
Lay hold William Oldford, lay
Lay hold of the cordage and pull all
Lay hold of the bowline and pull all
And give me a lift with poor Kit on
William White and his wife Mary
moved from Catalina around 1810,
to Tickle Cove, Bonavista Bay. The family is recorded as having six
Eventually he established his own wholesale
firm on Water Street,
and continued his leadership role in George
Church. With Edith he raised six children and enjoyed
fishing and hunting all interests that are shown in the formative years
within his journal. Living
a politically active family, he documented, political events in
amid his daily activities and interests. Learn more about
or read his Journals.
of Walter Edward White a great grandson of William and
(of Tickle Cove) covers a three year period from 1903 to 1906. It was
started by Walter at the
of 23, and tells of his life in the capital of Newfoundland. Born
grandson of prominent politician and master mariner, the Hon.
White and his wife Anne Weir, young Walter enjoys a shared
in experimental agriculture at a family summer retreat in Brookfield
St. John's (now part of Bowring Park). He lived with his
parents in a Victorian double house, The
House, on the South Side of
John's harbour next door to his cousins, and had begun
work among the Water Street merchants, in the Hardware Department at
Bowring Bros. & Co. During these years he
involvement with Methodism and direct Christian service
and courts his future wife, Edith Knight.
"Taken about 1898. Standing left
to right - Daisy, Walter, May.
Bottom - Mother [Emma Jane (Bemister)
White], Alice, Minnie,
Father [Capt. Edward White Jr.]" -
identified by Walter E. White (1879-1969) St. John's NFLD
with Hon. Edward White,
tells of the Newfoundland ship owner
and captain who sailed
schooners and brigantines built in the Atlantic Provinces, from Brazil
Labrador. He later served as captain of three large wooden
constructed in Scotland for Job Brothers & Co. After he
from the sea at 71, several of his ships continued to have illustrious
not only in Newfoundland but also in establishing Canadian arctic
and in international Antarctic exploration carrying Sir. Ernest
on his voyage of 1907-1909. Edward was the son of William & Mary of
George M. Story,
a Rhodes Scholar who
taught for 40 years at Memorial University of Newfoundland was a
descendant of Hon. Edward White. His article, Building
a St. John's Victorian House describes the process by which
White built The
House, a house long associated with Story who grew up in one side
the two family house and upon his return to Newfoundland from Oxford
the other side (which had briefly been sold outside the family) making
home there and raising a family, next door to his sister Janet Story.
restoration brought full occupancy of the building to the fifth
of the same family. George
M. Story was one
of the three authors of the Dictionary of
Newfoundland English. A biography
White, by Dr. George
is part of the Dictionary of
Canadian Virtual War
Memorial contains family
pictures of Ronald
White who served and died
in WW II.
Also there are
pictures from White family
that could be helpful in correcting or adding to the contents of
? We appreciate your comments, suggestions and additions.