SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS:
- MS in neuroscience; BS/BA in biology and chemistry.
- 10+ years research experiences in wide range of disciplines
including biochemistry, pharmacology, electrophysiology, immunohistochemistry and
behavioral testing, as well as clinical studies. See list of expertise.
- Proficient in computer applications and statistics. Also trained in
organic and physical chemistry.
- I am a quick learner and conscientious worker, and enjoy a
multi-disciplinary collaborative environment.
- (February 2002 - present) Investigator, Research Pharmacology,
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc, Cambridge, MA
- Implement primary cortical and hippocampal cultures for in vitro screening of drug compounds
- Design and validate primary glial culture for CNS inflammation studies
- Investigate biomarkers for various neurological diseases with Western blots and immunohistochemistry
- Coordinate and evaluate CRO studies
- (September 1997 - February 2002) Associate Research Scientist, Neuroscience Drug Discovery,
Bristol-Myers Squibb Pharmaceutical Research
Institute, Wallingford CT
- Animal pharmacology research for Alzheimer's Disease
- (January 1995 - September 1997) Research Support Specialist, Dept. Medicine, SUNY Health
Science Center, Syracuse NY
- Role of protein kinase C in acid secretion in parietal cells
- Effects of various nutrient supplements on experimental ulcerative gastritis
and enterocolitis in rats and mice
- Correlation of several clinical indices in chronic hepatitis C
- (September 1990 - December 1994) Graduate Student, Program in Neuroscience, SUNY Health
Science Center, Syracuse NY
- Electrophysiology and anatomy of the aging rat olfactory mucosa [Master dissertation]
- Olfactory detection threshold of rats: a behavioral study
- Medical neuroanatomy [Teaching assistant]
- Classical conditioning of the cat spinal reflex: an electrophysiological study
- Visual learning and memory in monkey: a behavioral and anatomical study
- (September 1989 - May 1990) Research assistant, Dept. Biology, Pacific Lutheran University,
- Photosynthesis and water relations of Plantego major and Plantego lanceolata
- (September 1989 -May 1990) Senior undergraduate thesis, Dept. Chemistry, Pacific Lutheran
University, Tacoma WA
- Electron paramagnetic resonance study of bis(ethylammonium)-dibromodichloro-cuprate(II)
- Primary hippocampal and cortical neuronal and glial culture, retroviral infection, in vitro study design and drug screening.
- Surgery on mice, rats, rabbits, cats & monkeys, including sterile stereotaxic surgery and microinjection in rodents.
- Drug dosing in rodents, including p.o., i.v., i.p. and s.c. routes; cardiac perfusion, cerebrospinal fluid collection and tissue harvest.
- Cell extraction; enzyme activity assay; protein purification & assay; immuno-precipitation;
gel electrophoresis (SDS-PAGE & isoelectric-focusing gel); Western blot; autoradiography, ELISA.
- Maintain patient records & handling of diseased human blood samples, certified by Roche Biomedical Labs to run diagnostic PCR (polymerase chain reaction).
- Electrophysiological recording with electrodes & voltage-sensitive dyes. Exposure to MRI & video imaging.
- Perfusion & immunohistochemistry; paraffin & cryosectioning; light microscopy; photography & image analysis.
- Behavioral training of mice, rat & monkey; designing & trouble-shooting training & testing apparatus.
- Identification & growing of plants; extraction & preparation of sample; column dialysis; agarose gel electrophoresis; histological staining; spectrophotometry; densitometry.
- Synthesis of organic compounds; electron spin resonance spectrometry; structure determination; exposure to NMR & IR spectroscopy and mass spectroscopy.
- Presentation of lecture & private tutor to medical & graduate students; supervise research of medical fellows.
- Data analysis & statistics.
- Loo,A., S.Youngentob, P.Kent & J.Schwob (1996) The aging olfactory epithelium:
neurogenesis, response to damage, and odorant-induced activity. Int. J. Dev. Neurosci.
14(7/8):881-900. Abstract 1
- Reedy, D.W., J.Nandi, A.Loo, H.Mahoney & R.A.Levine (1996) Parallelism of serum
HCV-RNA and ALT levels during breakthrough and/re relapse in patients treated with
alpha-interferon for chronic hepatitis C. Hepatology 24(4)Pt 2:565A.
- Sukumar,P., A.Loo, E.Magur, J.Nandi, A.Oler & R.A.Levine (1997) Dietary supplementation of
nucleotides and arginine promotes healing of small bowel ulcers in experimental enterocolitis.
Dig. Dis. Sci. 42:1530-1536. Abstract 3
- Nandi,J., A.Loo & R.A.Levine (1997) An endogenous activator protein of H+,K+-ATPase
regulates acid secretion in isolated rabbit gastric glands. Gastroenterology 112(4):A231.
- Reedy,D.W., A.Loo & R.A.Levine (1998) AST/ALT ratio >=1 is not diagnostic of cirrhosis
in patients with chronic hepatitis C. Dig. Dis. Sci. 43(9):2156-2159.
- Nandi,J., A.Loo, S.Kim & R.A.Levine (1999) Expression and characterization of protein
kinase C in isolated rabbit parietal cells. Int. J. Molecular Medicine 3(5):521-526.
- Sukumar,P., A.Loo, R.Aldophe, J.Nandi, A.Oler & R.A.Levine (1999) Dietary nucleotides
augment dextran sulfate sodium-induced distal colitis in rats. J. Nutrition. 129:1377-1381.
- Nandi,J., A.Loo, S.Kim & R.A.Levine (May 1996) Protein kinase C expression and translocation
in isolated rabbit parietal cells. 96th Annual meeting of the American Gastroenterological
Association, San Francisco, CA.
- Sukumar,P., E.Magur, A.Loo, A.Oler, J.Nandi & R.A.Levine (May 1996) Enteral feeding of
nucleotides promotes healing of small bowel ulcers in a rat model of ulcerative ileitis.
96th Annual meeting of the American Gastroenterological Association, San Francisco, CA.
- Reedy, D.W., A.T.Loo & R.A.Levine (November 1996) Serum HCV-RNA, ALT levels and AST/ALT
ratio do not predict severity of liver disease in chronic hepatitis C virus infection.
47th Annual meeting of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases, Chicago, IL.
- Reedy, D.W., J.Nandi, A.T.Loo, H.Mahoney & R.A.Levine (November 1996) Parallelism of serum
HCV-RNA and ALT levels during breakthrough and/or relapse in patients treated with alpha-
interferon for chronic hepatitis C. 47th Annual meeting of the American Association for the
Study of Liver Diseases, Chicago, IL.
- Nandi,J., A.Loo & R.A.Levine (May 1997) An endogenous activator protein of H+,K+-ATPase
regulates acid secretion in isolated rabbit gastric glands. 97th Annual meeting of the
American Gastroenterological Association, Washington, DC.
- Sukumar,P., A.T.Loo, R.Adolphe, J.Nandi, A.Oler & R.A.Levine (May 1997) Effect of enteral
feeding of nucleotides and arginine in dextran sulfate sodium-induced ulcerative colitis in rats.
97th Annual meeting of the American Gastroenterological Association, Washington, DC.
- Loo,A., J.Corsa & D.Barten (May 1998) Determination of dosing regimen for drug testing
in mice - specificity and correlation of various assays. Ninth annual Wallingford scientific
symposium, Bristol-Myers Squibb Company Pharmaceutical Research Institute, Wallingford, CT.
- Loo,A., V.Guss, J.Corsa & D.Barten (May 1999) Quantitation of beta-amyloid protein in
mouse cerebrospinal fluid. Tenth annual Wallingford scientific symposium, Bristol-Myers Squibb
Company Pharmaceutical Research Institute, Wallingford, CT.
- Thakur,A., D.Barten, A.Loo, M.Zheng & K.Raghavan (May 2000) Formulation of BMS-299897 for
chronic subcutaneous dosing in transgenic mice using osmotic minipump. Eleventh annual
Wallingford scientific symposium, Bristol-Myers Squibb Company Pharmaceutical Research Institute,