Our McAlpin Family
I am grateful for the information my cousin, the late June McAlpin Phillips has supplied, particularly on her ancestor, William Glas McAlpin, and for the help given by cousin Craig McAlpin, descendant of William's brother Peter McAlpin. Help was also given by my aunt, the late Elsa Clark, who supplied information on our ancestor, Catherine McAlpin, and thanks also to Mel Lowth who gave me McAlpin and Eather information.
Peter McAlpin was born in the Scottish village of Killen, in Perthshire. He was one of twelve
children born to Peter McAlpin and Katherine nee Mclean. Peter was born in 1768. Other children were: Donald, Margaret, John, Donald, John, Alpin, Katherine, Duncan, Katherine and Elizabeth. It was the custom in those days to re-name a child the same name as one who previously died so we assume that was also the case here.
Peter joined the army and married his future wife, Elizabeth Elton, in 1798 at the Garrison
Church , Cape of Good Hope. They eventually came to Australia in 1812 on the "General
Graham", with three of the four children that were to be born to them...a fourth child, Catherine,
being added to the family in 1814, by which time Peter and his family were settled in the
Hawkesbury region of Sydney.
Four children were born to them, three at Stirling in Scotland:
- Sarah McAlpin, born 15 September, 1805, married Thomas Eather
- Peter McAlpin, born 4th April, 1809, married Elizabeth Cole.
- William Glas McAlpin, born 6 October, 1810, married Susannah Onus,
- Catherine McAlpin, born 9 May, 1814 at Windsor, NSW, married William
Peter purchased land in the Richmond and Windsor area, where he operated a blacksmith
On 15th November, 1817, at the age of 39, Elizabeth Elton died, leaving Peter with four
young children. Sarah was only 12, Peter 8, William Glas just over 7 and baby Catherine
only 3. Elizabeth was buried in the grounds of the new St Matthews Church at Windsor on
17 November, 1817.
Needing help to care for his young family, Peter was assigned, from the Female Factory
compound at Parramatta, Eleanor Blake, a convict
woman. Eleanor had arrived on the "Broxbornebury" on 28 July 1814.
Eleanor and Peter were married on 7th March, 1820. In 1818 Peter had received a grant of 2
acres in the town of Richmond. This land was situated on the corner of Francis and West
Market Streets, Richmond, and there Peter built a house with a blacksmith's shop, where he
lived until his death on 23rd February, 1850 Eleanor died in July of that same year).
Below are the details of the marriages and offspring of Peter and Elizabeth's four children.
Peter McAlpin & Elizabeth
Peter McAlpin, born 1809, married Elizabeth Cole, nee Harrison, at Maitland in 1835.
Elizabeth was a convict who had come out on the "Sovereign" in 1829. Prior to
her marriage to Peter she had married Amos Cole and bore him two children,
Amos and Harriett.
Peter and Elizabeth had one son, Henry Richard Cloweth McAlpin b. 1841
HENRY McALPIN married LAURA WIGRAM 1861 at Windeyer, NSW.
Issue of Henry McAlpin & Laura Wigram
- James Frederick Carey McAlpin b. 1862 at Windeyer NSW, married Johanna Hickey
- Laura Blanch McAlpin b. 1867 at Muswellbrook NSW
- John McAlpin b. 1870 at Black Creek NSW
- Henrietta Phoebe McAlpin b. 1873 at Breeza NSW, married William Chalmers
- Elsie McAlpin b. 1877 at Armidale
- Letitia Otway McAlpin b. 1878 at Armidale NSW, married John Godfrey
- Ida Harriett McAlpin b. 1881 at Armidale NSW
- Harrie Wigram McAlpin b. 1883 at Armidale NSW
Laura McAlpin nee Wigram died 14th July, 1883 at Armidale and Henry re-married 17th August 1887 at Pyrmont in Sydney, to LOUISA H.IVENS.
Issue of Henry McAlpin & Louisa Ivens
- Leslie Cecil McAlpin b. 1887 at Darlinghurst m. 1.Amy Leffley and 2.Madge Williams
- Stella May McAlpin b. 1890 at Leichardt m. Robert Banks
- Oscar Henry McAlpin b. 1893 at Windeyer d. 1912 at Como.
- Stanley Norman McAlpin b. 1896 at Windeyer m. May Beehag
- Violet Lillian McAlpin b. 1898 at Windeyer m. Alan Stray
William Glas McAlpin and Susannah
These two friends from childhood, were married on 2nd January, 1833 at Castlereagh,
NSW. Susannah, born 1815, was the daughter of Joseph Onus and Ann Eather. Ann was a
sister to Thomas Eather who married Sarah McAlpin, sister of William Glas
Issue of William Glas and Susannah:
- Elizabeth McALPIN b. 25th October 1833 d. April 1835
- Ann McALPIN b. 11 January 1836 d. February 1836
- Peter McALPIN b. 16 November 1838 d. 25th November, 1838
- William McALPIN b. 19th February 1840 d. 12th August 1923 married Eva Peberdy,
2. Eliza Chapman.
- Susannah McALPIN b. 13th May 1842 d. 18th January 1882 married MacDonald
- Sarah McALPIN b. 28th July, 1845 d. 3rd July 1922 married William Woods
- Joseph McALPIN b. 31st January, 1849 d. 12th February, 1913 married Elizabeth
- Mary McALPIN b. 12th January, 1852 d. 3rd January, 1915 married Edward
There are a number of occasions where the lines of Clark, Roser, McAlpin and Eather are
interwoven. One such occasion occurs above, with Mary McAlpin, the daughter of William
Glas McAlpin, marrying Edward Roser. Ann Roser, Edward's sister, married Charles
Clark, who was the son of Catherine McAlpin, sister to William Glas McAlpin.
Catherine McAlpin & William
William and Catherine were married 16th June 1832 at Richmond, NSW. Their issue was:
- Elizabeth CLARK b. 1833 d 11th November 1833
- Jane CLARK b. 1834 d. 1834
- William Henry CLARK b. 22nd May 1835 d. 12th August 1866 married Mary
- Peter CLARK b. 3rd May 1837 d. 9th April 1863
- Thomas CLARK b. 1st July 1839 married Mary Ann Howell
- Ann Maria CLARK b. 30 September 1841 d. 19th May 1869 married Robert Lyons
- Samuel CLARK b. 1844 married Margaret Duckworth
- Charles CLARK b. 5th April 1846 d. 18th September 1932 married
- Elizabeth Lauderdale
- Margaret Lauderdale
- Sarah CLARK b.28th August 1850 d. 6th August 1875 married William Kirk
- Susannah CLARK b. 27th December 1850 d. 14th November 1892 married Thomas
- Catherine CLARK b. 13th November 1853 married Robert Kibble
- Susan Clark b. 9th February 1855
Charlotte CLARK b. 8th August 1858 d. 4th June 1944 married Jonathon Daniel
For more information on Charles Clark, go to the CHARLES CLARK HISTORY PAGE or for more information on his wife, Ann, go to the ROSER FAMILY HISTORY PAGE
Sarah McAlpin & Thomas Eather
Sarah and Thomas were married 24th August, 1824 at Windsor NSW
Their issue :
- Thomas EATHER b 27th September, 1824 d. 6th April 1909 married Eliza Crowley
- Elizabeth EATHER b. 25th December, 1825 married Thomas Onus
- Charles EATHER b. 25th October, 1827 married Eliza Hough
- Anne EATHER b. 18 August, 1829 married Edwin Young
- Peter EATHER b. 19th February 1831 married Charlotte Williams
- William EATHER b. 8th August, 1832 married Ann Senior
- Sarah EATHER b. 25th August, 1834 married William Eaton
- Charlotte EATHER b. 13 October 1836 married Laban Thomas Guest
- Robert EATHER b. 26th November, 1839
- James EATHER b. 13th December, 1840 married Isabella Nowland
- Susannah EATHER b. 9th June 1842
- John Roland EATHER b. 14 November, 1843 married Hannah Crothers
- Catherine EATHER b. 13th June, 1846 married William Taylor
Here is a list of Eather and McAlpin connections who are willing to be contacted.