1 (1/4 ounce) package of active dry yeast
1 cup milk
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 teaspoon salt
5 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 (12 ounce) can poppy seed filling
1 teaspoon lemon peel
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 egg yolk mixed with 1 T water
1. Soften yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Heat milk, sugar, butter or margarine and salt until sugar dissolves; cool to lukewarm. Stir in 2 eggs. Stir in 2 cups of flour, beat well. Stir in enough of rest of flour to make a moderately stiff dough.
2. Knead on floured surface till smooth, and shape into a ball. Place dough into a greased bowl and cover with a towel. Let rise until doubled, then divide in half.
3. To make Filling: Combine poppy seeds with lemon peel and lemon juice and mix well. Set aside.
4. Roll each half of risen dough into a 17 x 12 inch rectangle. And cut into 4 inch circles. Place about 1/2 Tablespoon of filling on each circle. Moisten edges, bring sides together and pinch, forming a triangle. Place on greased cookie sheet and cover. Let dough rise again until doubled.
5. Brush with egg yolk mixed with water, then bake at 350 degrees
F (180 degrees C)
for 15 to 20 minutes.
Makes 30 cookies
[Growlies Main Index] [Holiday Recipe Index]