This recipe is in metric. Many commercial recipes have the ingredients
measured by weight, a scale is a good investment when making large recipes.
Basic Metric Conversions
Metric Instant Conversions here or here
The first column serves 48, the larger amount serves 240.
|Apple slices, canned, solid pack
Lemon rind, grated fine
|1. Toss ingredients together. Set aside for use in step 6.|
|Phyllo pastry, frozen, thawed *
Margarine, soft, melted
*Cover with damp cloth when not using to prevent drying.
410 g = 36 sheets phyllo
|2. For each strudel, place one sheet of phyllo on damp
3. Brush with melted butter.
|180 g||Breadcrumbs, white, dried||900 g||4. Sprinkle with 15 ml (6 g) bread crumbs.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 with 5 more sheets of phyllo, ending with crumbs.
6. About 5 cm from one long edge of pastry, place 500 g apple mixture in a strip about 7cm wide, leaving 5 cm free of filling at each short edge.
7. Carefully roll each strudel, jelly-roll fashion, starting at long edge nearest filling and tucking in ends.
8. Place strudels on greased baking sheets; brush with melted margarine.
9. Cut slits in top of each strudel.
10. Bake at 200 deg. C. for 25 min. (convection oven 180 deg. C. for 25 min.) or until crisp and golden. Cut each strudel in 8 slices.
|Apple filling may be replaced with any commercial fruit filling. Serve warm or cold, sprinkle with icing sugar.|