EMPOWERING BIRTHS DOULA SERVICES
Empowering Births Doula Service
Lower Nicola, British Columbia
WHAT IS A DOULA?
The word "Doula" comes from the Greek word for the most important female servant in an ancient Greek household.
Doulas are experienced in childbirth and provide continuous physical,emotional and informational support to the mother before,during and after childbirth.("Klaus,Kennel and Klaus,Mothering the Mother")
Recent studies indicate that when a Doula is present,there are better outcomes for babies, and their mothers have shorter,more comfortable labours,and greater maternal satisfaction.
AS A DOULA I PROVIDE:
- help with preparation of a birth plan
- explanations of medical procedures
- advice during pregnancy,including "natural" alternatives to common pregnancy discomforts
- continuous labour support,beginning with early labour in your home
- massage and other non-pharmacological pain relief measures
- positioning suggestions during labour and birth
- Help with breastfeeding preparations and beginnings
- a written record of the birth