2007 Lady Jaguar Results
Last updated 4/24/07
Varsity Jags 11-9 (Gila 7-3)
Junior Jags 6-7-1 (Gila 2-3-1)
Li'l Jags 3-4 (Gila 2-1)
Baby Jags 0-0 (Gila 0-0)
Wee Jags 0-0 (Gila 0-0)
STATE INDIVIDUAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
LADY JAGS COMPETE AT STATE TOURNAMENT
(4/27/06) For the first time ever, three Lady Jaguars advanced to the state championships: Priscilla Rojas in singles, and the doubles team of Daisy Quezada and Stephanie Celaya. We couldn't be prouder of them!
Man, was it HOT! The hundred-degree temperatures moved players to wherever they could find shade.
Lady Jags at state! From left: Priscilla, Daisy, and Stephanie.
In the first round, Priscilla overcame a shaky first set to come back and easily defeat Coronado's Jessica Bautista, 7-5, 6-1 to advance to the quarterfinals. Unfortunately, she next had to face #1 seed Courtney Byron of Notre Dame Prep.
Junior Daisy and sophomore Stephanie have never experienced this sort of pressure before, and I think it got to them. Nevertheless, they played with a lot of heart.
Priscilla credits her water bottle for her first-round victory!
Priscilla Rojas, DV d. Jessica Bautista, COR 7-5, 6-1
(1) Courtney Byron, ND d. Priscilla Rojas, 6-0, 6-0
Allan/Gehrts, BUCK d. Quezada/Celaya 6-2, 6-2
STATE REGIONAL TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS
#5 BUCKEYE 5 #13 DESERT VIEW 2
(4/26/07) In a shocking result, Buckeye defeated the Lady Jags in the state quarterfinals in a tight match (we were ahead in the two unfinished matches). What was surprising was that our seniors, who had been here before and won, simply did not play well at all; I had expected them to lead the way. Just the same, it has been another excellent run for the Lady Jags!
1. Daryl Allan, BUCK d. Priscilla Rojas 6-0, 6-3
2. Jeana Gehrts, BUCK d. Jessica Pena 6-0, 6-1
3. Daisy Quezada, DV v. Julie Kerr DNF
4. Erna Dubravic, DV v. Melissa Turner DNF
5. Alyssa Currie, BUCK d. Stephanie Celaya 6-0, 6-2
6. Jordan Coker, BUCK d. Yvette Torres 6-3, 6-2
1. Rojas/Pena, DV d. Allan/Gehrts 8-6
2. Kerr/Julie Finchum, BUCK d. Quezada/Celaya 8-6
3. Dubravic/Torres, DV d. Turner/Coker 8-2
#13 DESERT VIEW 5 #4 WASHINGTON (Phoenix) 3
(4/24/07) Who knows where the AIA comes up with its seedings for tennis? Last year, we were seeded #12 and beat the #5 seed in the first round of State, and this year we were seeded 13th and we beat the #4 seed. Go figure.
Washington fielded a strong team, featuring Anela Pehlic, last year’s state singles runner-up, but the Lady Jags had greater depth, which made the difference. Stephanie Celaya clinched the match with a thrilling come-from-behind second set win at #5 singles, roaring back from a 5-1 deficit to win, 7-5! All our doubles teams were impressive, and Daisy Quezada played one of her best singles matches yet.
Our next match is Thursday, April 24th, as we hit the road again to face Buckeye.
1. Anela Pehlic W d. Priscilla Rojas 6-1, 6-2
2. Jessica Pena DV v. Julia Hociota DNF
3. Daisy Quezada DV d. Katy Donaldson 6-1, 6-0
4. Verushcka Reloj W d. Erna Dubravic 6-0, 7-6 (5)
5. Stephanie Celaya DV d. Liz Mendoza 6-1, 7-5
6. Yvette Torres DV d. Betsy Arias 6-3, 6-4
1. Pehlic/Hociota W d. Rojas/Pena 8-6
2. Quezada/Celaya DV d. Donaldson/Mendoza 8-5
3. Dubravic/Torres DV d. Reloj/Arias 8-1
GILA REGIONAL INDIVIDUAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
3 LADY JAGS GOING TO STATE!!!
(4/19/07) For the first time in our history, THREE Lady Jaguars have qualified for the state championships. Today, senior Priscilla Rojas, junior Daisy Quezada, and sophomore Stephanie Celaya earned the right to advance. Priscilla finished second in singles, losing in the finals to her nemesis, top-seeded Danielle Petersen of Palo Verde. Daisy and Stephanie played a poor semifinal match, but regrouped and pumped each other up, as only the best doubles teams can do. They went out and made short work of their opponents in the 3rd-place match, winning in straight sets.
Happy faces: Daisy, Priscilla, and Stephanie are all winners!
(2) Priscilla Rojas d. (3) Katrina Flores, DOUG 2-6, 6-1, 6-3
(1) Danielle Petersen, PV d. Rojas 6-2, 6-3
(2) Nunez/Gage, DOUG d.(3) Quezada/Celaya 6-2, 6-1
Doubles Third Place:
(3) Quezada/Celaya d. (4) Ochoa/Anderson, CHO 6-3, 6-3
Lady Jags Shine at Regional Tournament
Mascot "Mighty Mite" Romero presents (from left)Yvette, Erna, Daisy, Priscilla, Ana, Stephanie, and Jessica.
(4/18/07) The Lady Jaguars enjoyed an excellent first day at the regional individual tournament, held at the beautiful Tucson Racquet Club. #2 seed Priscilla
Rojas advanced to the semifinals in singles, as did our third-seeded doubles team of Daisy Quezada and Stephanie Celaya. Erna Dubravic and Yvette Torres won their first round in doubles before falling to the top seed. The only upset of the day was Jessica Pena's tough loss in the quarterfinals.
(2) Priscille Rojas BYE
(3) Jessica Pena BYE
(2) Rojas d. Britney Johnson, SR 6-4, 6-0
Renee Morales, DOUG d. (3) Pena 6-4, 6-2
(3) Quezada/Celaya BYE
Dubravic/Torres d. Perez/Towne, PV
(3) Quezada/Celaya d. Sourathathorne/Villafane, PV 6-3, 6-2
(1) Owen/Romero, DOUG d. Dubravic/Torres 6-0, 6-0
GILA REGIONAL TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS:
4/17/07 DOUGLAS 5 DESERT VIEW 0
Once again, the Bulldogs beat us for the conference title. Our doubles teams didn’t seem to have the edge they had yesterday – Erna and Yvette squandered a 6-3 lead when they became overconfident. Fortunately, the Jags regrouped and played tough singles (Priscilla, Daisy, and Eran were on their way to victory) when the match was clinched. However, we still qualify for the state team tournament (we lost in the quarterfinals last year and hope to improve that this year). Tomorrow, we begin the individual championships at the Tucson Racquet Club. Matches begin at 11am and run all day.
1. Priscilla Rojas DV v. Evyline Owen DNF
2. Alexis Romero DOUG d. Jessica Pena DV 6-0, 6-0
3. Daisy Quezada DV v. Cynthia Nunez DNF
4. Erna Dubravic DV v. Christina Gage DNF
5. Renee Morales DOUG d. Stephanie Celaya 6-0, 6-0
6. Yvette Torres DV v. Katrina Flores DNF
1. Owen/Romero DOUG d. Rojas/Pena 8-2
2. Nunez/Gage DOUG d. Quezada/Celaya 8-1
3. Morales/Flores DOUG d. Dubravic/Torres 8-6
4/16/07 DESERT VIEW 5 PALO VERDE 0
Daisy flies through the air slamming a forehand return as Stephanie gets ready to poach.
The 2nd place Lady Jaguars really came out to play today, sweeping doubles against 3rd place Palo Verde and the Titans were never able to recover. Doubles partners Erna Dubravic and Yvette Torres won at #4 and #6 singles by identical 6-1, 6-0 scores to clinch the match. Next up – tomorrow, we travel to Douglas to face the first-place Bulldogs on their home turf. Match time is 2pm, so we hope to get home early enough to get a good night's sleep before the individual tournament Wednesday morning at the Tucson racquet Club!
The Amazin' Yvette and Erna won three of the five matches to pace the Jags to victory.
1. Jessica Pena DV v. Danielle Petersen DNF
2. Priscilla Rojas DV v. Maria Laube DNF
3. Daisy Quezada DV v. Olivia Carrizales DNF
4. Erna Dubravic DV d. Kimaly Sourathathone 6-1, 6-0
5. Stephanie Celaya DV v. Elina Ly DNF
6. Yvette Torres DV. D. Iris Villafane 6-1, 6-0
1. Rojas/Pena DV d. Petersen/Laube 8-3
2. Quezada/Celaya DV d. Carrizales/Ly 8-4
3. Dubravic/Torres DV d. Sourathathone/Villafane 8-3
LADY JAGS RECEIVE HIGH SEEDS AT REGIONALS!
(4/13/07)This year, the Lady Jags are the team to beat, according their opponents' coaches. Tonight, Priscilla Rojas and Jessica Pena received the #2 and 3 seeds in singles, and our doubles tandem of Daisy Quezada and Stephanie Celaya is seeded #3.
Priscilla and Jessica are among the top seeds!
The 4A individual singles and doubles tournament takes place on Wednesday and Thursday, April 18th and 19th at the Tucson Racquet Club.
4/11/07 DESERT VIEW 7 PALO VERDE 2
The final match of our regular season resulted in our clinching second place in the Gila Conference. However, it was shaky going at the beginning, and not only because of the wind. The Titans had just come off an intense match against Douglas while our latest matches were not that competitive, so they had the edge on us there. Things picked up when Erna Dubravic and Daisy Quezada picked up their games after lethargic first sets, and our doubles teams really rose to the occasion, as they have all year, sweeping Palo Verde.
1. Danielle Petersen PV d. Priscilla Rojas 6-3, 6-0
2. Jessica Pena DV d. Maria Laube 6-1, 6-4
3. Daisy Quezada DV d. Olivia Carrizales 5-7, 6-3, 10-7
4. Erna Dubravic DV d. Kimaly Sourathathone 7-5, 6-2
5. Elina Ly PV d. Stephanie Celaya 6-2, 6-1
6. Yvette Torres DV. D. Lisa Avila 6-1, 6-2
1. Rojas/Pena DV d. Petersen/Laube 8-2
2. Quezada/Celaya DV d. Carrizales/Ly 8-5
3. Dubravic/Torres DV d. Surathathone/Villafane 8-3
Junior Jags Blanked by Titans, 5-0
1. Jayme Squires d. Ana Romero 8-3
2. Tracy Thielmann d. Carla Rodriguez 8-4
3. Iris Villafane d. Esmeralda Quezada 8-3
4. Iris Villafane d. Julie Bermudez 7-5
1. Squires/Thielmann d. Kyla Kemp/Mayra Alcantara 8-1
4/10/07 DESERT VIEW 7 SANTA RITA 2
A winning record at last! I knew this season would be a tough road, playing the best teams we could schedule out of conference, but the girls came through just as I knew they could. Today was an opportunity to play some JV players at varsity (the Eagles only had 5 players show up), and they struggled, Carla Rodriguez (“the Queen of Tiebreakers”) losing a heartbreaker, but Ana Valenzuela was mighty impressive at #5 singles.
1. Priscilla Rojas DV d. Britney Johnson 6-0, 6-0
2. Jessica Pena DV d. Sarah Kelly 6-0, 6-0
3. Lisa Timpani SR d. Carla Rodriguez 4-6, 6-4, 10-7
4. Tajia Towne SR d. Cassandra Rodriguez 6-0, 6-0
5. Ana Valenzuela DV d. Crystal Perez 6-1, 6-1
6. DV won by forfeit
1. Quezada/Celaya DV d. Johnson/Kelly 8-5
2. Erna Dubravic/Yvette Torres DV d. Timpani/Towne 8-0
3. DV won by forfeit
4/5/07 DESERT VIEW 7 SUNNYSIDE 2
It’s not often that Desert View defeats sister school Sunnyside in athletic competition, but the Lady Jaguars are most often the exception. We haven’t been able to play since Sunnyside moved up to 5A, so it was fun to see girls who’ve grown up together to face each other across the court. The matches were competitive and exciting, but the Lady Jags came through as I knew they would. We can now lay claim to the southside championship title, having beaten Sahuarita, Pueblo, Cholla, and the Blue Devils. We are the Champions!!!
1. Priscilla Rojas DV d. Tracy Villareal 6-4, 6-2
2. Jessica Pena DV d. Linda Lopez 6-1, 6-3
3. Daisy Quezada DV d. Gladys Amaya 6-3, 6-1
4. Erna Dubravic DV d. Kesone Naveunxay 6-2, 6-3
5. Missy Aparicio SS d. Stephanie Celaya 7-5, 7-5
6. Rozina Mesane SS d. Yvette Torres DV 3-6, 6-1, 10-8
1. Rojas/Pena DV d. Villareal/Lopez 8-3
2. Quezada/Celaya DV d. Amaya/Naveunxay 8-6
3. Dubravic/Torres DV d. Marisol Posada/Lisa Morales 8-0
Junior Jags Topple Devils, 9-3!
GREAT performances today – here are just some of them: Ana Romero played very smart at #1, as did Carla Rodriguez and Ana Valenzuela at 4 and 5. Freshman Kyla Kemp continues to impress, with a near-flawless shutout at number 6. And special congrats go to Brendie Johnson and Sara Welton on their first victories of the season! In doubles, Li’l Jags Sandra Pollak and Julie Bermudez, our non-home-grown team, defeated Sunnyside’s #2 JV team, and Betzi Castillo teamed up with Ana Romero to down the Devils’ #3 JV player teamed with a varsity player.
1. Ana Romero DV d. Kailie Lucero 8-2
2. Lucy Nunez SS d. Cassandra Rodriguez 8-6
3. Yanin Parra SS d. Esmeralda Quezada 8-1
4. Carla Rodriguez DV d. Karen Rios 8-2
5. Ana Valenzuela DV d. Whitney Triplett 8-2
6. Kyla Kemp DV d. Christina Morales 8-0
7. Brendie Johnson DV d. C. Morales 6-1
8. Sara Welton DV d. Marisol Posada 6-1
9. Ashley Diaz DV d. Lisa Morales 6-1
1. Lucero/Nunez SS d. Mayra Alcantara/Jimena Duarte 8-1
2. Sandra Pollak/Julie Bermudez DV d. Rios/Triplett 8-2
3. Romero/Betzi Castillo DV d. Parra/Aparicio 8-3
4/3/07 DESERT VIEW 7 PALO VERDE 2
A most important win for us, as we’re now tied with Palo Verde for second place in the Gila region (we play again next week – great scheduling, huh? - to see who clinches the spot). We got courageous performances from Jessica Pena and Yvette Torres, both of whom crawled off their sickbeds to attend class so they could play today. Palo Verde’s Danielle Petersen likely earned the top seed at the Gila regional tournament with her straight-set victory over Priscilla Rojas at #1 singles. I congratulate coach Kathy Locke on her team’s dramatic improvement over last season. I was fortunate to have her as my assistant coach three years ago and she did a great job then, too.
1. Danielle Petersen PV d. Priscilla Rojas 6-4, 6-2
2. Jessica Pena DV d. Maria Laube 6-3, 7-6 (5)
3. Daisy Quezada DV d. Olivia Carrizales 6-2, 6-1
4. Erna Dubravic DV d. Kimaly Sourathathone 6-1, 6-1
5. Elina Ly PV d. Stephanie Celaya 2-6, 6-3, 10-6
6. Yvette Torres DV d. Lisa Avila 6-2, 6-1
1. Rojas/Pena DV d. Petersen/Laube 8-3
2. Quezada/Celaya DV d. Carrizales/Sourathathone 8-4
3. Dubravic/Torres DV d. Ly/Avila 8-0
Junior Jags tie, 3-3
Not a great performance today by the Junior Jags, whose roster has been pretty much the same all season. We’re going to make some adjustments before the Sunnyside match, because a number of Li’l Jags have been playing very well and deserve the chance to move up and get some JV experience before the season ends.
1. Ana Romero DV d. Jayme Squires 8-3
2. Tracy Thielmann PV d. Esmeralda Quezada 8-3
3. Iris Villafane d. Carla Rodriguez 8-4
4. Cassandra Rodriguez DV d. Ashley O’Donnell 8-1
1. Squires/Thielmann PV d. Kyla Kemp/Julie Bermudez 8-3
2. Mayra Alcantara/Jimena Duartes DV d. Villafane/O’Donnell 8-1
3/29/07 DOUGLAS 9 DESERT VIEW 0
Sorry for the late update - we didn't get home from Douglas until nearly midnight. About halfway through the match, Bulldog coach Paula Shelton turned to me and said, “I can’t believe how much your girls have improved.”
And they have. I am very proud of how they played. Most of them walked into their matches with no fear, despite the unfortunate distractions that always come with playing in Douglas, and walked out with their confidence and dignity intact.
1. Evelyn Owen d. Priscilla Rojas DV 6-2, 6-2
2. Alexis Romero d. Jessica Pena DV 6-3, 6-3
3. Christina Gage d. Daisy Quezada 6-3, 7-6 (4)
4. Cynthia Nunez d. Erna Dubravic 6-2, 6-1
5. Katrina Flores d. Stephanie Celaya 6-3, 6-0
6. Renee Morales d. Yvette Torres 6-1, 6-0
1. Owen/Romero d. Rojas/Pena 8-4
2. Gage/Nunez d. Quezada/Celaya 8-2
3. Flores/Morales d. Dubravic/Torres 8-3
Junior Jags improve, but lose 7-2
All of the Junior Jags played tough, but Ray Rodriguez and Kyla Kemp really stepped it up, handily winning their singles matches. Each of them then paired with their doubles partners, Carla Rodriguez and Sandra Pollak, and continued to play well.
1. Keoquita Skinner DOUG d. Ana Romero 8-2
2. Karime Ortiz DOUG d. Esmeralda Quezada 8-0
3. Roselia Melgoza DOUG d. Carla Rodriguez 8-2
4. Cassandra Rodriguez DV d. Katrina Garcia 8-2
5. Kyla Kemp DV d. Neyda Padilla 8-1
6. Carolina Tostado DOUG d. Sandra Pollak 8-3
1. Skinner/Melgoza DOUG d. Romero/Quezada 8-3
2. Ortiz/Garcia DOUG d. Rodriguez/Rodriguez 8-5
3. Padilla/Tostado DOUG d. Kemp/Pollak 8-7 (7)
Li’l Jags fall, 4-2
Despite strong performances by Mayra Alcantara, Julie Bermudez, and freshman Bianca Quijada, the Li’l Jags weren’t able to overcome the Bulldogs.
1. Ariel Vidoloso DOUG d. Mayra Alcantara 8-4
2. Danitza Montano DOUG d. Julie Bermudez 8-3
3. Aileen Leyva DOUG d. Brendie Johnson 8-2
4. Bianca Quijada DV d. Jayre Lopez 7-6 (5)
1. Alcantara/Bermudez DV d. Vidoloso/Montano 7-6 (2)
2. Leyva/Lopez DOUG d. Johnson/Quijada 6-0
3/27/07 DESERT VIEW 8 CHOLLA 1
This was one windy day, with gusts reaching 50 mph, and balls were flying all over the place. But the girls on both teams kept their composure and played with excellent control, culminating in some exciting matches. First-year player Betzi Castillo stepped up for her first varsity match and turned in an excellent performance, winning at # 3 doubles with partner Ana Romero. And aces Priscilla Rojas and Stephanie Celaya were flawless, each winning in double bagels!
1. Priscilla Rojas DV d. Danielle Ochoa 6-0, 6-0
2. Jessica Pena DV d. Monterea Duffy 6-2, 7-6 (5)
3. Yasmine Anderson CHO d. Daisy Quezada 1-6, 6-2, 10-8
4. Erna Dubravic DV d. Mandy Gallegos 6-2, 6-0
5. Stephanie Celaya DV d. Chrissy Thompson 6-0, 6-0
6. Ana Romero DV d. Sarah Hyatt 6-1, 6-0
1. Rojas/Pena DV d. Ochoa/Anderson 8-1
2. Quezada/Celaya DV d. Duffy/Thompson 8-4
3. Romero/Betzi Castillo DV d. Gallegos/Hyatt 8-2
Junior Jags down Charges, 7-1!
1. Lilly Curtis CHO d. Esmeralda Quezada 8-5
2. Carla Rodriguez DV d. Sarah Meranza 8-3
3. Cassandra Rodriguez DV d. Emma Lavaris 8-2
4. Ana Valenzuela DV d. Brandy Ventura 8-3
5. Kyla Kemp DV d. Edith Sanchez 8-1
6. Sandra Pollak DV d. Edith Sanchez 8-1
1. Carla Rodriguez/Valenzuela DV d. Curtis/Lavaris 6-0
2. Ashley Diaz/Julie Bermudez DV d. Meranza/Ventura 8-3
3/26/07 CATALINA FOOTHILLS 9 DESERT VIEW 0
The scores look pretty grim for our side, but there were many games we could have won. The girls need to focus harder on playing smart when ahead - over and over today, I saw us squander Ad, 40-30, 40-15 and 40-love leads. I attribute it to spring break rust, which we should shake off tomorrow against Cholla at home.
Nevertheless, it was a pleasure for all of our girls to play the state’s best team (for the past seven years!), which also happens to be the nicest. I enjoyed seeing new friendships being made.
Sadly, our undefeated #3 doubles team of Erna Dubravic and Yvette Torres is undefeated no longer, losing a close match 8-6.
1. Anya Dalkin d. Priscilla Rojas 6-0, 6-0
2. Nooria Sufi d. Jessica Pena 6-1, 6-0
3. Samantha Huo d. Daisy Quezada 6-0, 6-0
4. Monet Vakili d. Erna Dubravic 6-0, 6-0
5. Jina Choi d. Stephanie Celaya 6-0, 6-1
6. Alison Rachowiecki d. Yvette Torres 6-0, 6-0
1. Dalkin/Sufi d. Rojas/Pena 8-1
2. Jacqui Braunies/Sam Swartz d. Quezada/Celaya 8-1
3. Jeana Keatseangisilp/Michelle Han d. Dubravic/Torres 8-6
Junior Jags Fall, 9-0
There were a couple of exciting highlights in the JV matches: freshman Kyla Kemp played a tight match at #6 singles before her more experienced opponent pulled away, although every game was close. And Ana Romero and Esmeralda Quezada courageously battled to the end at #1 doubles before losing, 8-6.
1. Abby Cochran d. Ana Romero 8-2
2. Jackie Spera d. Esmeralda Quezada 8-0
3. Jaime Han d. Carla Rodriguez 8-0
4. Megan McCusker d. Ana Valenzuela 8-2
5. Allison Koenig d. Ashley Diaz 8-1
6. Laurie Stussie d. Kyla Kemp 8-4
1. Cochran/Spera d. Romero/Quezada 8-6
2. Han/McCusker d. Rodriguez/Valenzuela 8-0
3. Stussie/Troiano d. Diaz/Kemp 8-0
Li”l Jags swept!
Yes, they were scared, but I was proud of them. Because we had eight players absent today, this was the first time many of the Li’l Jags played both singles and doubles. Mayra Alcantara was impressive at #1 singles, and freshman Bianca Quijada and junior Katheryn Parades nearly pulled off an upset at #3 doubles!
1. Presley Troiano d. Mayra Alcantara 8-2
2. Jenni Keatseangsilp d. Julie Bermudez 8-1
3. Katie Fouts d. Karina Munguia 8-1
4. Emma Fried d. Betzi Castillo 8-1
5. Jennie Braunies d. Bianca Quijada 8-0
6. Sky Madsen d. Vanessa Lopeaux 8-0
7. 7. Brianna Zammitt d. Katheryn Parades 8-0
1. Keatseangsilp/Fried d. Alcantara/Bermudez 8-1
2. Gigi Theger/Lana Thriri d. Munguia/Castillo 8-1
3. Jennifer Reaves/Cari Alcombright d. Quijada/Parades 8-5
3/15/07 DESERT VIEW 8 CHOLLA 1
A strong performance by our doubles teams shows that our emphasis on this important part of the game has paid off. Erna Dubravic and Yvette Torres continue undefeated, and Daisy Quezada bounced back from a poor singles performance to play like a tiger with partner Stephanie Celaya. Priscilla Rojas finally looked like a true #1 player today with a near-perfect win over summer camp teammate Danielle Ochoa.
1. Priscilla Rojas DV d. Danielle Ochoa 6-1, 6-0
2. Jessica Pena DV d. Monterea Duffy 6-2, 6-2
3. Yasmine Anderson CHO d. Daisy Quezada 6-2, 7-5
4. Erna Dubravic DV d. Mandy Gallegos 6-0, 6-1
5. Stephanie Celaya DV d. Davi Arnold 6-2, 6-2
6. Yvette Torres DV d. Ashley Albert 6-0, 6-0
1. Rojas/Pena DV d. Ochoa/Anderson 8-2
2. Quezada/Celaya DV d. Duffy/Arnold 8-0
3. Dubravic/Torres DV d. Gallegos/Albert 8-0
Junior Jags Pluck Eagles, 8-1
When Kyla Kemp arrived late, Ashley Diaz had to step up to the Junior Jags, and did she ever deliver! Flying all over the court, she defeated her opponent, 8-0. The other Junior Jags were equally impressive, showing that the future shines brightly for the Lady Jaguar’s winning tradition. And congratulations to Bianca Quijada and Betzi Castillo on their first high school tennis wins!
1. Ana Romero DV d. Chrissy Thompson 8-2
2. Esmeralda Quezada DV d. Sarah Hyatt 8-2
3. Carla Rodriguez DV d. Lilly Curtis 8-1
4. Cassandra Rodriguez DV d. Jessica Gambrell 8-1
5. Ana Valenzuela DV d. Sarah Meranza 8-6
6. Ashley Diaz DV d. Brandi Ventura 8-0
1. Thompson/Curtis CHO d. Carla Rodriguez/Julie Bermudez 6-4
2. Diaz/Bianca Quijada DV d. Hyatt/Gambrell 6-4
3. Cassandray Rodriguez/Betzi Castillo DV d. Meranza/Ventura 6-1
Li’l Jags Sweep!
Congratulations also go to Karina Munguia and Brendie Johnson for their first high school tennis wins. I’ve never seen bigger smiles in my years of coaching!
1. Kyla Kemp d. Emma Lavarias 8-1
2. Rebekah Lewis d. Edith Sanchez 8-4
3. Karina Munguia d. Briana Don 8-0
1. Brendie Johnson/Sandra Pollak d. Lavarias/Sanchez 4-2
3/14/07 DESERT VIEW 9 SANTA RITA 0
Good performances all around, as the girls continue to improve, although Jessica Pena had a shaky second set against a tough opponent who just wouldn’t go away. I couldn’t be prouder of our undefeated #3 doubles team of Erna Dubravic and Yvette Torres, who improved their season record to 6-0, playing at the #1 position today! Junior Jags Carla Rodriguez and Ana Valenzuela stepped up to varsity #2 doubles and won in a thrilling 7-3 tiebreaker. I called the tiebreaker, and could see their hands shaking from where I stood, but they stayed focused and played some of the best tennis of their young careers. I was looking forward to seeing “the Tall Girls,” Jimena Duarte and Sara Welton, in their first varsity match, but one of the Eagles fell ill (perhaps in fear?) so we won by default. Way to go, Lady Jags!
1. Priscilla Rojas d. Shauneshia Taylor 6-1, 6-0
2. Jessica Pena d. Britney Johnson 6-2, 6-4
3. Daisy Quezada d. Liz Uribe 6-0, 6-2
4. Erna Dubravic d. Sarah Kelly 6-1, 6-2
5. Stephanie Celaya d. Tajia Towne 6-1, 6-1
6. Yvette Torres d. Lisa Timpani 6-2, 6-0
1. Dubravic/Torres d. Taylor/Johnson 8-6
2. Carla Rodriguez/Ana Valenzuela d. Uribe/Towne 9-8 (3)
3. Jimena Duarte/Sara Welton d. Kelly/Timpani default (ill)
3/13/07 DESERT VIEW 7 PUEBLO 2
Southside tennis is picking up! Not only did Pueblo field a large team (17 girls to our 22 today), but it was also a well-coached and competitive one. This match could have been much closer had we not had a couple of great come-from-behind rallies. Erna Dubravic faced three match points before overcoming Vanessa Weisbrod at #4 singles, and our number one doubles team of Priscilla Rojas and Jessica Pena roared back from 6-5 down to win 8-6. Priscilla is struggling at #1 singles, but Albert and I are hoping to get her back on track tomorrow against Santa Rita.
1. Zuleima Cota PUE d. Priscilla Rojas DV 4-6, 6-3, 10-8
2. Jessica Pena DV d. Bianca Sanchez PUE 6-2, 6-1
3. Daisy Quezada DV d. Kristin Hindley PUE 6-2, 6-3
4. Erna Dubravic DV d. Vanessa Weisbrod PUE 6-1, 5-7, 13-11
5. Stephanie Celaya DV d. Kristina Armenta PUE 6-2, 7-5
6. Yvette Torres DV d. Christian Gutierrez PUE 6-0, 6-2
1. Rojas/Pena DV d. Cota/Sanchez PUE 8-6
2. Hindley/Weisbroad PUE d. Quezada/Celaya DV 8-6
3. Dubravic/Torres DV d. Armenta/Gutierrez PUE 8-3
Junior Jags whip Warriors, 6-3
Another solid effort by the Junior Jags, led by Ana Romero, who set the tone with an 8-5 win at #1. This was a chance to give some of the Li’l Jags an opportunity to play at the JV level, and Jimena, Rebekah and Betzi all performed very well! Ray Rodriguez sprained her neck during her singles match at #4, but bravely played through. We wish her a quick recovery - she's a very important part of the team.
1. Ana Romero DV d. Vadel Valenzuela PUE 8-5
2. Esmeralda Quezada DV d. Sonia Reyes PUE 8-4
3. Carla Rodriguez DV d. Elizabeth Starks PUE 8-3
4. Lizette Molena PUE d. Cassandra Rodriguez DV 8-4
5. Kyla Kemp DV d. Mariella Esparza PUE 8-4
6. Ana Valenzuela DV d. Genesis Quintero PUE 8-2
1. Valenzuela/Reyes PUE d. Romero/Quezada DV 8-6
2. Starks/Molena PUE d. Rodriguez/Jimena Duarte DV 6-4
3. Rebekah Lewis/Betzi Castillo DV d. Esparza/Quintero PUE 6-4
Li’l Jags Win, 4-2!
1. Ashley Diaz DV d. Imelda Galaviz PUE 6-3
2. Julie Bermudez DV d. Berenice Borbon PUE 6-1
3. Sandra Pollak DV d. Ariana Maceas PUE 6-0
4. Mayra Alcantara DV d. Reyna Rodriguez PUE 6-0
5. Reyna Rodriguez PUE d. Jennifer Daniels DV 6-4
1. Galaviz/Borbon PUE d. Brendie Johnson/Karina Munguia DV 6-1
3/9/07 DESERT VIEW 7 SAHUARITA 2
Priscilla played her best match of the season,
It may seem late in the season for our first win, but we’re in a familiar pattern: we started last year in identical fashion, and then proceeded to reach the state quarterfinals, losing 5-4 only because a player became ill. I’m optimistic that this team can exceed those results. The #1 and #2 matches could not have been closer – in both matches, summer camp teammates at our Southside Tennis Academy faced off with typically hard-fought matches. After fighting back to split sets, Priscilla lost a thrilling tiebreaker to Ali Brackey. Jessica roared back from a sluggish start to win the second set and the tiebreaker over Brinley Suppes.
only to fall in three sets.
Congratulations are due to Ana “Mighty Mite” Romero, who stepped up to varsity due to the absence of Stephanie Celaya, and was awesome at the number six position.
Daisy Quezada also went to a third set at #3, but was unable to pull out a win.
1. Ali Brackey SAH d. Priscilla Rojas DV 6-4, 6-7 (5), 11-9
2. Jessica Pena DV d. Brinley Suppes SAH 4-6, 6-2, 10-6
3. Clarissa Jimenez SAH d. Daisy Quezada DV 1-6, 6-3, 10-5
4. Erna Dubravic DV d. Liz Watkins SAH 6-1, 6-1
5. Yvette Torres DV d. Jennifer Waudlaw SAH 7-5, 6-1
6. Ana Romero DV d. Catie 6-0, 6-1
1. Rojas/Pena DV d. Brackey/Suppes SAH 8-3
2. Quezada/Dubravic DV d. Jimenez/Watkins SAH 8-6
3. Torres/Romero DV d. Waudlaw/Catie SAH 8-0
Junior Jags crush Mustangs, 9-0!
Wow! Talk about coming into their own – the Junior Jags and Li’l Jags combined to sweep Sahuarita. I’m so proud of them for not becoming discouraged after facing opponents who have been playing tennis for years. Today, they faced kids just like them – first or second year players – and showed great heart, enthusiasm, and skill. And they are as competitive on the court as any team I’ve coached. A tip of the cap to freshman phenom Kyla Kemp, who won her singles and doubles matches without dropping a game! Way to go, Junior/Li’l Jags!!!
1. Esmeralda Quezada d. Taylor Beggins 9-7
2. Carla Rodriguez d. Erin Beggens 8-3
3. Cassandra Rodriguez d. Alexis Paulos 8-1
4. Kyla Kemp d. Lisa Vanwageren 8-0
5. Ana Valenzuela d. Elissa Hack 8-1
6. Ashley Diaz d. Jiana Trinidad 8-0
1. Quezada/Carla Rodriguez d. Beggens/Beggens 8-3
2. Kemp/Julie Bermudez d. Paulos/Vanwageren 8-0
3. Jimena Duarte/Sara Welton d. Hack/Trinidad 8-2
3/8/07 CANYON DEL ORO 8 DESERT VIEW 1
With today’s win, our #3 doubles team of Erna Dubravic and Yvette Torres has gone 4-0 against the strongest lineup any southern Arizona team has faced. Now that we’re entering conference play, I expect great things from them, as from the rest of the girls who’ve learned to be match tough.
1. Hannah Baker CDO d. Priscilla Rojas DV 6-1, 6-2
2. Jenn Noon CDO d. Jessica Pena DV 6-3, 6-1
3. Jessica Pensky CDO d. Daisy Quezada DV 6-2, 6-1
4. Carlie Shlittenhart CDO d. Erna Dubravic DV 6-1, 6-1
5. Kelly Zimmer CDO d. Stephanie Celaya DV 6-0, 6-0
6. Lyric Barkley CDO d. Yvette Torres DV 6-4, 6-2
1. Noon/Pensky CDO d. Rojas/Pena DV 8-3
2. Pensky/Zimmer CDO d. Quezada/Celaya DV 8-0
3. Dubravic/Torres DV d. Barkley/McDaniel CDO 8-3
Junior Jags blanked again!
It was a tough day for the Junior Jags against a much more experienced CDO squad. Kudos to freshman Kyla Kemp for her second straight nail-biter against strong competition!
1. Sam Tress d. Ana Romero 8-2
2. Kyndal Marten d. Esmeralda Quezada 8-2
3. Kaytee McDaniel d. Carla Roderiguez 8-2
4. Jen Robinson d. Cassandra Rodriguez 8-3
5. Alyssa Dormer d. Kyla Kemp 8-6
6. Krista Durr d. Ana Valenzuela 8-0
1. Marten/McDaniel d. Carla Rodriguez/Valenzuela 8-3
2. Robinson/Cherry d. Julie Bermudez/Mayra Alcantara 8-0
3. Singer/Honan d. Jennifer Daniels/Brendie Johnson 8-0
Li’l Jags lose, 8-2 but Pollak wins again!
Exchange student Sandra Pollak (Berlin, Germany) continues to improve her game, winning impressively again today. Tennis is not her sport – she plays badminton in her native country, but she’s picking it up quickly! And Karina Munguia was impressive too, notching the first win of her young career. Congratulations, Li’l Jags!
1. Sam Cherry CDO d. Ashley Diaz DV 8-0
2. Gibson Singer CDO d. Rebekah Lewis DV 8-2
3. Jenna Honan CDO d. Mayra Alcantara DV 8-2
4. Hannah Scholnik CDO d. Betzi Castillo DV 6-0
5. Savannah Verdugo CDO d. Jimena Duarte DV 6-2
6. Sandra Pollak DV d. Cynthia Tripathi CDO 6-1
7. Karina Munguia DV d. C. Tripathi CDO 5-3
1. Dormer/Durr CDO d. Kemp/Quijada DV 6-0
2. Scholnik/Verdugo CDO d. Lopeaux/Parades DV 6-1
3/7/07 DOUGLAS 8 DESERT VIEW 1
Our tough early schedule against the toughest teams we could schedule is winding down, and it’s paying off. Despite the seemingly one-sided scores against region champs Douglas, the girls are playing stronger than ever, and improve with each match. Congrats to our #3 doubles team of Erna Dubravic and Yvette Torres, who improved their record to 3-0.
1. Evyline Owen DOUG d. Priscilla Rojas DV 6-4, 6-2
2. Alexis Romero DOUG d. Jessica Pena DV 6-0, 6-0
3. Cynthia Nunez DOUG d. Daisy Quezada DV 6-2, 6-1
4. Katrina Flores DOUG d. Erna Dubravic DV 6-2, 6-2
5. Christina Gage DOUG d. Stephanie Celaya DV 6-0, 6-0
6. Renee Morales DOUG d. Yvette Torres DV 6-0, 6-1
1. Owen/Romero DOUG d. Rojas/Pena DV 8-6
2. Nunez/Gage DOUG d. Quezada/Celaya DV 8-5
3. Dubravic/Torres DV d. Flores/Morales DOUG 8-6
Junior Jags eat bagel, 9-0
It was a tough outing for the Junior Jags who struggled against their more experienced and more consistent opponents. However, Ray Ray Rodriguez, Kyla Kemp, and Ana Valenzuela valiantly fought to the bitter end and showed great improvement.
1. Keo Skinner d. Ana Romero 8-0
2. Rosella Melgoza d. Esmeralda Quezada 8-3
3. Karime Ortiz d. Carla Rodriguez 8-2
4. Katrina Garcia d. Cassandra Rodriguez 8-5
5. Neyda Padilla d. Kyla Kemp 8-6
6. Arielle Vitosola d. Ana Valenzuela 8-6
1. Skinner/Melgoza d. Carla Rodriguez/Valenzuela 6-3
2. Ortiz/Garcia d. Jimena Duarte/Sara Welton 8-3
3. Padilla/Vitosola d. Betzi Castillo/Karina Munguia 8-4
Li’l Jags Down Li’l Bulldogs, 2-1!
Thanks to an exciting win in tiebreaker by Mayra Alcantara, the Li’l Jags played with tremendous heart. Ashley Diaz led the way, dominating at #1 singles.
1. Ashley Diaz DV d. Danitza Montano DOUG 8-4
2. Mayra Alcantara DV d. Aileen Leyva DOUG 9-8 (3)
1. Montano/Leyva DOUG d. Julie Bermudez/Sandra Pollak DV 6-3
3/5/07 NOGALES 9 DESERT VIEW 0
We got spanked by the Apaches today. We were released late for the long trip, so the girls only had about 20 minutes of practice time, but Nogales deserved the win - they're the second-best team in southern Arizona. It's too bad that they are in the same conference as the state's best team, Catalina Foothills (whom we play on March 26th).
We got home last night at 10:15pm and I left the scorebook at school today, but I'll post the individual results tomorrow.
In the meantime, a big CONGRATULATIONS to Sandra Pollak for her huge win against the Apaches - in her first singles match ever! I'm sure her family back in Germany is very proud of her, as we all are.
3/1/07 MOUNTAIN VIEW 8 DESERT VIEW 1
A drawback to playing 5A schools at the start of the season is that they’ve had a two-week start on us, so their players are already match-tough. This was Mountain View’s 5th match. But there’s an advantage, as well. Our girls have to play at a higher level than our 4A-II peers do, and I’m confident that it will pay off for us by the end of the season, as it did last year when we reached the state quarterfinals.
Daisy slams a forehand in her match.
Despite the scores, all of the matches were competitive – the shortest singles match ran an hour and a half. HIGHLIGHT: Our #3 doubles team of Erna Dubravic and Yvette Torres remains unbeaten, and Yvette lost a close singles match in three sets.
1. Ashley Desmarais MV d. Priscilla Rojas DV 6-0, 6-4
2. Lizzy Jeffrey MV d. Jessica Pena DV 6-1, 6-3
3. Natalie Mora MV d. Daisy Quezada DV 6-2, 6-1
4. Shelly Klein MV d. Erna Dubravic DV 6-2, 6-3
5. Ana Gallardo MV d. Stephanie Celaya DV 6-4, 6-3
6. Christina Harrod MV d. Yvette Torres DV 6-4, 3-6, 7-3
1. Dsemarais/Jeffrey MV d. Rojas/Pena DV 8-1
2. Mora/Klein MV d. Quezada/Celaya DV 8-5
3. Dubravic/Torres DV d. Gallardo/Harrod MV 8-6
Junior Jags win, 7-2!
The JV welcomed back #1 Ana Romero and she provided the leadership and enthusiasm to lead the squad to victory. Freshman Kyla Kemp notched her second straight victory in impressive fashion, 8-1, and Li’l Jags Mayra Alcantara and Julie Bermudez won their first doubles match ever in a 6-4 nailbiter. Way to go, Junior Jags!
1. Ana Romero DV d. Ariella Gabino MV 8-5
2. Jessica Castillo MV d. Esmeralda Quezada DV 8-6
3. Carla Rodriguez DV d. Janell Farler MV 8-4
4. Cassandra Rodriguez DV d. Ann Jeffrey MV 8-3
5. Kyla Kemp DV d. Anna Kerkau MV 8-1
6. Ana Valenzuela DV d. Kylie Schlobohm MV default
1. Gabino/Castillo MV d. Betzi Castillo/Ashley Diaz DV 8-3
2. Mayra Alcantara/Julie Bermudez DV d. Farler/Jeffrey MV 6-4
3. DV wins by default
2/27/07 FLOWING WELLS 5 DESERT VIEW 4
The Varsity Jags and Junior Jags show off their new uniforms while we are waiting for...
you guessed it - ANOTHER late bus!
I couldn’t be prouder of this young team (we lost 7 seniors last year) in their first match of the season, facing off against 5A Flowing Wells and their two-time state doubles champions, Kirsten and Tristany Leikem. Priscilla Rojas and Jessica Pena, in only their second day of playing together, nearly made history before falling 9-7 at #1 doubles. Stephanie Celaya and Yvette Torres showed tons of heart, winning arduous three-set matches at 5 and 6. Daisy Quezada made it look easy at #3 singles, playing a brilliant match, smart and focused as she breezed to a 6-1, 6-2 win.
1. Kirsten Leikem FW d. Priscilla Rojas DV 6-0, 6-1
2. Tristany Leikem FW d. Jessica Pena DV 6-0, 6-2
3. Daisy Quezada DV d. Alyssa Emery FW 6-1, 6-2
4. Casey Moore FW d. Erna Dubravic DV 7-6 (0), 6-1
5. Stephanie Celaya DV d. Sierra Anderson FW 6-8, 6-1, 7-2
6. Yvette Torres DV d. Sammi Shepler FW 4-6, 7-6 (0), 7-2
1. K. Leikem/Emery FW d. Rojas/Pena 9-7
2. T. Leikem/Moore FW d. Quezada/Celaya DV 8-1
3. Dubravic/Torres DV d. Anderson/Shepler FW 8-1
Junior Jags Fall, 5-3-1
Here's the whole team - they are the greatest!
Our top two Junior Jags weren’t able to make the match today: #1 Ana Romero had to attend an important event, and #2 Sara Lewis is sidelined by a serious ankle injury. However, the girls stepped up with complaining and gave it their best, gaining valuable court experience, especially Li’l Jags Kyla Kemp, Ashley Diaz, Julie Bermudez and Jennifer Daniels, who won their matches. “Tall Girls” Jimena Duarte and Sara Welton were impressive as well, and were tied at #1 doubles when their match was called because of darkness.
1. Justine Mayo FW d. Esmeralda Quezada DV 8-4
2. Jessica Gonzales FW d. Cassandra Rodriguez DV 8-4
3. Alexia Trujillo FW d. Carla Rodriguez DV 9-8 (7)
4. Justina Salzman FW d. Ana Valenzuela DV 8-5
5. Kyla Kemp DV d. Tasha Martinez FW 8-5
6. Ashley Diaz DV d. Mariah Romero FW 8-1
1. Duarte/Welton DV tied Brianna/Rhea FW 3-3
2. Bermudez/Daniels DV d. Grace/Sidney FW 3-2
3. Jeanette/Justine FW d. Johnson/Pollak DV 40-15
Back to Main Page