The Serpent and the Sculptor (Part 5)

Alixus woke just before dawn, knowing even before she was fully alert that Tsirrku had broken the bond. The Alezai lay sleeping on the cot next to hers; beside her, Bashir had nodded off in a chair. Alixus felt a rush of...something as she watched the two sleeping healers. They had obviously not left her side through the night. Quietly, she retrieved a pair of blankets from the supply closet, placing them over the two of them. Bashir mumbled incoherently, shifting to find a more comfortable position. Tsirrku remained perfectly still, exhaustion robbing her of even that little strength. Alixus stared for a long time at the Alezai, then brushed the feathers away from her temples. Tsirrku mumbled sleepily at her touch.

Leaving her friends to their rest, Alixus wandered out of the infirmary building. The sun was just beginning to etch shadows on the encampment. She was struck by a hard wave of nostalgia as the ruby, grey, and amber light stretched upwards against the metal of the Cabin. She'd always loved this time of morning, before the work began, when it was still quiet. She'd never been able to sleep until full daylight, a perfect balance to Cassandra, who could sleep until night fall. Alixus laughed silently at the old joke, enjoying the familiar comfort of her own history as she walked about the encampment. Stephen, the camp's other notorious morning person, was already out and about--the same as she remembered. He waved to her and began making his way to her side, but Alixus nodded him away. He shrugged and turned back to his work.

Alixus's eyes lit on the cooking area, curious to see who had drawn breakfast duty. Pamela, who had gotten Tangii fever three years earlier, was yawning next to Brynna, Joseph's younger sister, as they prepared the meal for the colonists. Alixus started over to offer her assistance when she felt a hand on her arm. She turned to find Sisko standing there in full uniform.

"Ben," she greeted softly. "Another morning person, I see."

"Not really. I'm still on ship's time," he admitted.

Alixus felt slightly embarrassed under his intense gaze. He's wondering if I'm still crazy, she thought to herself. Which was perfectly understandable under the circumstances. I'm wondering if I'm still crazy, she added with a rueful sigh. She certainly didn't feel crazy. She felt--

"How do you feel?"

Alixus laughed aloud, startling both Sisko and the women behind them. Quickly ducking away from the encampment, she locked her arm in Sisko's and led him just beyond the site. "I feel wonderful," she said. At Sisko's questioning look, she added, "Tsirrku broke the healing bond last night."

Sisko's response was guarded. "That's...good news."

"I certainly think so." She stood there next to him for a moment, silently watching Orellius's magnificent sunrise. Ben Sisko, on the hand, was silently watching her. She let him for a while, then turned to address his concerns. "You needn't worry, Ben. I'm not going to make any trouble about going back to Darius."

"I didn't think you would." But despite his words, he looked relieved.

"What kind of example would I be setting if I didn't?" she continued. "If a community is to work, there have to be rules. And those rules have got to be enforced." Alixus looked into Sisko's dark face, recognizing something she'd always known she'd find there. And, to her delight, she saw the look of recognition in Sisko's face as he saw it in her. "We both understand that, don't we, Ben?"

"Yes."

"And maybe, if I do what I'm supposed to and don't try anything stupid, I might get another chance at parole." She broke their steady gaze, turning to survey the natural beauty before them. "I'd like to come back here, if they'll allow me. Joseph is a good man; the colony is doing very well under his leadership."

"Could you accept that? Being here, but under someone else's leadership?"

"It's amazing what you can accept when you have the right attitude." She stared pointedly at his Starfleet uniform. "Even that costume is beginning to look good on you. Although," she added, "I still would have liked to have seen you out of uniform."

Sisko raised an eyebrow at the mild flirtation.

"Everything changes, Ben," she said softly. "Even home. I can accept that. All that matters is having a home to return to. Someday," she added wistfully.

"What about technology? Joseph isn't going to budge on the medikit or the communication devices."

"I won't ask him to. It's his choice to make...and the community's. I will go along with their decision." Alixus flashed him a knowing smile. "Besides, we both know there isn't a technology known to mankind that can replace a human being." Her eyes widened in a smugly self-deprecating look. "Even an imperfect human being like me."

To that, Sisko had nothing to say. Instead, he just nodded and helped her appreciate the view.


"That is simply out of the question." Admiral Necheyev had given up all pretenses of patience and now stood in absolute defiance of the tiny group which stood before her.

"Admiral, we're not asking you--"

"You're asking me to release a dangerous criminal on the word of one unknown alien."

Joseph folded his huge arms across his chest. "Alixus is not dangerous, Admiral. And she's not a criminal."

"According to Federation law--"

"Alixus is a citizen of this colony, which is not a member of the Federation."

"Even so, there is the matter of her health." Necheyev turned a pasty gaze towards Alixus, who was already showing every sign of strength and good health. "Twice, she's attempted to take her own life. It would be inhumane to take her away from proper medical treatment."

"She's had proper medical treatment," Bashir growled with a quick look at Tsirrku. "I've run every medical and psychological diagnostic available. She's making a full recovery. In my medical opinion, the natural surroundings and physical lifestyle on Orellius are perfectly suited to Alixus's therapeutic needs."

The admiral flashed him an expression which told the doctor exactly what she thought of his medical opinions. "There are gardens on Darius Three. She can get all the fresh air and hard work she wants while completing her sentence," Necheyev countered smugly.

Sisko bit his lip slightly to keep the curse in check. Everyone here knew Alixus belonged on this world. Everyone knew what she'd done, and what she'd been through. The Orellians wanted her back; he wanted her to go back. Why couldn't this contemptible woman do the right thing, just once? "Perhaps there's another way, Admiral," he said.

Necheyev scrutinized him, and Sisko suddenly regretted all the trouble he'd caused her earlier. "Yes, Commander," she said coldly. "Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated."

From the tone of her voice, Sisko knew this would be like melting a glacier with a match. "Instead of dropping the charges, we could suggest a reduced sentence of community service. Here."

The admiral looked like she would laugh. "Oh, yes. Put her exactly where she wants to be, doing exactly what she wants to do. Now there's a novel concept in criminal justice."

"We are not trying to punish Alixus, are we, Admiral?" Sisko locked gazes with her, knowing that nothing short of Major League hardball would have any effect on this woman. "Federation justice is about not about punishing criminals, but rehabilitating them. By serving her community in a way they see fit, we would be benefitting both parties. As well as saving the Federation the living expenses of another prisoner."

"This has nothing to do with Alixus," Tsirrku said quietly, her voice slicing like velvet through the warm spring afternoon. She had been observing the heated debate so silently they'd almost forgotten she was there.

"What?" Necheyev asked with a slight tilt of her head.

"You're wasting your arguments on her, Commander." Tsirrku glared at the admiral with a vehemence no one was prepared for. "She's going to make you beg, then do exactly what she wants."

"I have no idea what you're--"

"Don't play innocent with a telepath, Admiral. It only makes you look foolish." Tsirrku bridged the gap between them, an air of hardness tingeing her voice. She released the grip she held on her mind, allowing the full force of Necheyev's personality to sink into her consciousness, then turning it back on the unsuspecting woman. "Alixus means nothing to you. All you care about is adding another trophy to your Gamma Quadrant collection, and you have no qualms about sacrificing Alixus's freedom...or mine...to get it."

"Trophy?" Bashir echoed in the background, but Tsirrku brushed his word off like a fly.

"You keep the Changeling on Deep Space Nine, not because he is a loyal and valued officer, but because you prefer to have him in your line of sight." Tsirrku smiled, a feral, carnivorous split in her face which sent chills down Sisko's spine. "Is your past clean, Admiral? Are you so self-confident that you'd risk your prized pet Changeling for me?"

"You are way out of line," Necheyev hissed.

"A proper word, the right information, and Odo can slip through your fingers like that." The threat in Tsirrku's voice was nothing compared to the promise in her eyes. "I assure you, if you try to pen me up like an animal, not only will you lose the Changeling, but I won't stop until your entire career is nothing more than a sad memory."

"You have no idea who you're dealing with," Necheyev warned.

"Nor do you, Admiral. I see right through you. I know you better than you know yourself. You're like the Founders, dealing lives for power. Does Altair Two ring a bell?" She almost snarled with glee as Necheyev paled. "How about Starbase 14? Remember that?"

"You've said enough," Necheyev whispered weakly.

"No," Tsirrku insisted. "I haven't even begun. Do you want me to dig deeper? Beyond the surface? Into the really interesting parts of your mind? Are you that brave, Admiral?"

"Tsirrku," Alixus said gently, placing a hand on the Alezai's shoulder. "Don't."

"She's not ready yet," Tsirrku argued. "I can make her--"

"Don't. Don't stoop to her level." Alixus pulled herself up straight. "I appreciate what you are all trying to do, but the admiral is right. I committed a crime. Against the Federation," she added as Joseph opened his mouth in argument. "I have to pay for that."

Alixus turned to Sisko. "I always knew you were strong, Ben. I'm gratified that for once we got a chance to fight on the same side." Once again quieting Tsirrku's arguments, Alixus took a step closer to Necheyev. "Admiral, I'll return to Darius. Without an argument," she added for the seething Alezai's benefit.

Necheyev cleared her throat, looking from one angry face to another and finally settling on Tsirrku's. "That...won't be necessary, Ms. Merrill. Under the circumstances, I believe I can have your sentence reduced to community service. I'll make the arrangements myself as soon as we return to the Oronoco. With Commander Sisko's and Dr. Bashir's official recommendations, in addition to my own, it should only be a matter of paperwork." With a nod to the Alezai, she added, "It's the least we can do. Under the circumstances."

Tsirrku nodded ferociously. "The very least."

As the party took a collective breath, Necheyev continued. "So, then, we will leave you in Joseph's capable hands. I'm sure there's lots of..." She looked around at the agricultural setting with slight distaste. "...work you have to do."

"Yes," Tsirrku added just as pointedly. "We do."

"In the name of interspecies cooperation, Tsirrku, perhaps I could convince you to come with me to Starfleet Command. Just briefly, and then you can return here to settle."

"In the name of interspecies cooperation, perhaps I could come with you," she said too sweetly. "But I don't think so. This colony needs a healer more than you need outdated information. I've requested and received permission from Joseph to join this colony. And that is exactly what I intend to do." The Alezai shot the admiral a warning look. "Unless you are willing to take me prisoner and force me--"

"We are a civilized people," Necheyev countered haughtily. "We would never do that."

"Good, then." With a nod to Sisko and Bashir, she said. "Thank you for your hospitality, gentlemen."

Sisko took her hand warmly, then turned to Joseph. "We'll stay in orbit until the orders have been processed. I don't anticipate any problem, but we'll keep you apprised of the situation."

Joseph nodded. "I'll keep the channel open until we get word."

"Then it's settled." Sisko said, turning to the other two officers. "I suppose we should let these good people back to their work." He nodded to Alixus, who stood in stunned silence.

Tsirrku clasped her hands together with glee. "Alixus?"

Alixus moved slowly to her side, still not sure of the reality of the situation. "Yes?"

"When can we begin my first farming lesson?"


It was starting to get hot. Alixus straightened slowly, pushing her hair out of her eyes. Tsirrku was working two rows down, tirelessly picking the beans which would help feed the community. The Alezai's voice floated above the fields, a glistening beam of white light dancing in the summer air. The woman stretched happily before returning to the task at hand. It was good to be home.

The End


Back to Fan Fiction Back to Home Page