The Serpent and the Sculptor (Part 3)

The docking procedures took longer than expected. Sisko saw to that personally. He didn't like Necheyev hovering like a vulture over his station, and he had no intention of making her job easier. O'Brien and Dax flanked him as they waited in the airlock. Necheyev stood impatiently on the other side of the transparent aluminum window with Kira and Odo in tow.

"Jeez," O'Brien muttered. "What did she do? Click her heels three times and say, 'There's no place like DS9?'"

"She probably caught the first broom out the minute she got the scientific data from ZM Prime," Dax offered.

The hiss of the locking mechanism halted their conversation. Necheyev practically leapt through the open doors.

"Admiral," Sisko said smoothly. "It's good to see you again."

Necheyev halted on one heel, apparently weighing her options. In the end, diplomacy won out. Her lips widened into a wholly insincere smile. "Commander. It's always a pleasure seeing you. I hope you had a good journey."

Kira and Odo exchanged a glance at the pleasantries, then Odo said, "Sir, I am here to escort the prisoner to Security."

"Constable," Sisko's voice held the utmost of apologies. "Dr. Bashir transported both of our guests directly to the infirmary as soon as we reached transporter range."

"The infirmary?" Necheyev repeated in disbelief.

The look of sheer disgust on Odo's face tugged at the string of guilt in Sisko's stomach. "I see," the security chief said gruffly. "Admiral Necheyev has had us in meetings all morning. I have not had time to check in with Security."

"I'm sorry, Constable." And he really was...for Odo. Sisko turned to Necheyev, "I thought for sure someone would have mentioned...."

"No one said a thing," Necheyev muttered, each word a knife aimed straight at Sisko.

A questioning look towards Dax and O'Brien netted only innocent shrugs. Sisko turned back to Necheyev with wide eyes. "Were you waiting long, Admiral?"

The admiral bit down her frown, returning a taut smirk which was only slightly less sincere than his. "If you'll excuse me, I'll be down in the infirmary questioning the--"

"If you intend to interrogate our guest, Admiral," Sisko interrupted with a hand on her shoulder. "You might have a bit of trouble." He touched the insignia on his chest. "Sisko to Dr. Bashir."

"Bashir here."

"Doctor, how are our guests?"

"Alixus has been returned to Security, but I'm concerned about Tsirrku's readings."

"How long until she's strong enough for questioning?"

"Not for several hours at least."

"Very well." Sisko tried hard not to be smug. If Necheyev intended to trespass into his territory, he was going to make the road very muddy for her. "Keep us informed. Sisko out." He turned his gaze back to the quietly smoldering Necheyev. "Well, then, that will give us time to brief you on the current situation. Mr. O'Brien, Dax, you will join us. Constable, you are dismissed."

The Changeling nodded and turned on his heels to leave. As Kira started to follow him, however, Sisko caught her by the arm.

"Major, I'd like you to join us."

The Bajoran's eyes widened slightly, but she maintained her calm expression. "I was just going to Ops to--"

"That can wait." He nodded the small party towards the briefing room, a reluctant Kira joining in. "I'll only be here a short time before leaving for the Orellius system. You will be assisting Admiral Necheyev in coordinating Tsirrku's integration into our society." As he felt the blade of Kira's glare in his neck, Sisko did smile this time. Things were looking up.


"I must see her. Why have you taken her away?" Tsirrku pushed weakly at the hand placed on her arm, trying to lift herself off the biobed.

"You are not well," the Terran doctor argued.

Tsirrku allowed herself a bit of annoyed indignation. Of course, she was not well. Was this the best this human healer could come up with? "I must see Alixus. I will be...better when we are together." She felt a brushing of discomfort from the young man. Despite her concern for Alixus's safety, she forced herself to remain calm. "I was attempting to heal her when you separated us. I meant her no harm."

Bashir--his name was Bashir--smiled gently. Suddenly, she recognized him as one of the beings who had found her. "I realize that. But you are too weak; I was afraid I'd lose both of you."

Tsirrku had to agree with him. Even at her full strength, Alixus would have been a challenge. As it was, she could feel the inexorable pull of the human woman against her consciousness. They couldn't have taken her far. Alixus's mind whispered inside of her, distorting her perceptions, confusing her. "I must continue," she said.

"That would not be a good idea at this point."

She shook her head fervently. "Would you abandon a patient in the middle of surgery, Doctor?" At his shocked look, she continued, "How can I, with so much at stake?"

"I understand your dilemma, Tsirrku," Bashir said sincerely. "But Alixus is already under a doctor's care. She's being taken to her son's funeral, then she will be returned to the...facility where she was being treated."

"They are taking her away?" His words gave Tsirrku the strength to rise. She was ill; how else had she not seen this?

"Yes. In a few hours."

"They cannot. I cannot let them."

Bashir took a deep breath. "I'm afraid there's not much of a choice. Alixus is a prisoner on leave; she must be returned to Starbase 93 within the time allowed her."

"You don't understand," she whispered fervently. "They cannot take her. If we are separated before the healing bond is dissolved..." She dropped back onto the hard bed. "We will both die."


"There is nothing in our intelligence reports about the Alezai or any emissaries under the Dominion besides the Jem'Hadar," Necheyev continued. She sat at the head of the main conference room table, flanked on one side by Sisko and Dax, and on the other by O'Brien and a silently glowering Kira.

"With what we know about the Founders," Dax said. "It's quite possible that having the Jem'Hadar commit genocide seemed the most logical and expedient way of...upgrading their diplomatic system."

"The Jem'Hadar have controlled this sector for hundreds of years, Lieutenant," Necheyev said. "The odds of a pre-Jem'Hadar emissary surviving until this time are...."

"Small?" Dax supplied.

Sisko regarded his science officer with raised eyebrows. He never could quite get over the Trill's penchant for understatement. "We have no idea what the lifespan of the average Alezai is, Admiral."

"True," she said. "For all we know, she could be a child. After all, Constable Odo was not expected to return to the Founders for three hundred years. Any race with such longevity would naturally choose a similarly long-lived species to act as emissaries."

Sisko glowered at her mention of Odo. His security chief was no more a Founder than Sisko was a Zulu warrior. But, by virtue of his race, the admiral had lumped Odo into the suspicious company of the very group which had abandoned him decades before. "That would contradict what we know about the Jem'Hadar. According to Dr. Bashir's medical records on the Jem'Hadar child..." Sisko could almost hear Necheyev's silent accusation, The Jem'Hadar child that you lost. "The race has a noticeably shorter life span than most humanoids."

"They're expendable," Necheyev answered coldly. "An emissary needs experience, background, expertise. A trained killer only needs to be...aggressive. And loyal."

Sisko sighed. He could smell the blood lust on Necheyev's clothes. Despite the fact that he hadn't even met the infamous Tsirrku, the commander already felt pity for her. He tapped the communicator on his chest, unable and unwilling to postpone the inevitable. "Sisko to Dr. Bashir."

"This is Bashir."

"Doctor, how is our visitor?"

There was a noticeable hesitation before the doctor responded. "Er...Commander, I believe we have a bit of a problem."


For the first time in her long life, Tsirrku understood the Founder's practice of pairing Alezai with Wirrum for diplomatic missions. Lante may not have been a sparkling conversationalist, but she was beginning to realize how his steady emotions had served as an anchor during their contacts with other races. As Tsirkku made the long journey from the Infirmary to Security with Julian Bashir, the Alezai found herself buffeted by the conflicting thoughts and emotions of the beings who crowded the station's Promenade. Out of habit, she reached for Lante's steadying mind as she made her way through the hundreds of different histories, the thousands of different hatreds and desires and petty arguments which jumbled together like so many dnari fish.

And strongest wind in the storm was Alixus. As they neared Security, the Terran's mind reached out like a fist, stretching beyond the walls which contained her to pull Tsirrku in. The Alezai felt herself buckling under the strain of sorting too many minds. She paused, Julian Bashir's arm a comforting steadiness at her waist.

"Are you alright?" he asked.

She reached for his mind gratefully. He was no Wirrum, but he was young and uncomplex and easy to digest. A long moment passed, and she nodded. Then she did something she'd never done in her entire life. She began to shield. At first, she wasn't even sure she could do it--it went against her training and her nature to put blinders on her mind--but it was a matter of survival. She blinded herself to the young Bajoran woman who feared her husband was being unfaithful. She turned a silent ear to the Antican who had just won enough at the Dabo table to pay for his next month's living expenses. She narrowed her mind's eye, warping the peripheral to a low din as she focused on one mind, and one mind only.

The door opened before them. A young humanoid in what Tsirrku now recognized as a Starfleet uniform sat at a desk before them. "Doctor. May I help you?"

"Alicia," Bashir said jovially. "We're here to see Alixus." Both Bashir and Tsirrku ignored the curiously suspicious look Alicia Townsend gave them. After a momentary hesitation, she said, "This way," and led the pair to the inner office.

When she saw Alixus, Tsirrku's mind eased considerably. The Terran woman sat quietly in her cell, peaceful and seemingly oblivious to her surroundings. The Alezai considered the wild contrast between Alixus's external and internal appearance, and wondered how these Terrans managed to create such vivid illusions. These Terrans had no concept of what ailed someone like Alixus. They treated her mind, her body. They locked her up, punished her, and wondered why nothing worked. Even this healer beside her, with his vast knowledge of the inner workings of the human body, had no more idea of what he was doing than the prisoner he treated. "Alixus," Tsirrku said finally, shutting down her mind's inner conversation in order to hear the voices calling from within her charge.

Alixus was already aware of her presence; she had been since the moment the pair entered Security. But she turned slowly to acknowledge Tsirrku. "It seems I'm in your debt," she said stiffly, although the warmth in her eyes was real enough.

Tsirrku said nothing, but closed the distance between them, pressing her hand forward just short of touching the shimmering containment field which separated them.

"Lieutenant, I believe I can take it from here." Bashir said to the security officer. Tsirrku almost laughed. Young, uncomplex, and about as subtle as a boulder through a window.

The security officer stared from one female to another, then at Dr. Bashir. Finally, reluctantly, she nodded her head. "I'll be in the front office if you need me." With another long stare at Alixus and Tsirrku, she turned and left.

"She doesn't trust you," Alixus said quietly to the Alezai.

"Do you?"

Alixus considered that for a while. "I know you won't harm me. But, I'm...not sure why you're helping me."

"Tsirrku is a healer," Bashir supplied, then stopped, his face flushing slightly as both women turned to face him.

"That is true," Tsirrku said into the awkward silence which filled the small room.

"And obviously a good one," Alixus agreed. "I feel better than I have in a long time. I think...I will be ready to return to Darius once I've been home."

You don't believe that, Tsirrku said, reaching into Alixus's thoughts with an easy dexterity. The human woman's face widened in surprise. Tsirrku smiled. For the first time since they had entered Security, the outer Alixus and the inner Alixus reflected one another. There is much work to be done, Alixus. It won't be--

"Ah, Constable." Bashir was addressing a tall, pale officer who entered the room.

The sight of him was so startling that Tsirrku forgot to shield. She forgot about the press of minds against her, about the uncertainty of her situation, even about Alixus. And as the officer rushed forward to catch her as she fell, for the first time in her life, Tsirrku touched the mind of a Changeling.

It was calm here, although Tsirrku knew that should not be. She stepped through the garden carefully, gazing up at the starless sky of the Changeling homeworld. This pocket of atmosphere existed for her...no, for someone else's purpose. Changelings did not need such an atmosphere. Tsirrku felt alone, abandoned, betrayed. She lowered her eyes, not wishing to accept the reality of what she...this Changeling had just learned. A woman stepped out of the darkness, her face half cast in shadows. Tsirrku felt a rush of recognition, a quickening of the rhythms of this Changeling's being. "I'm ready, Major," she heard herself say with Odo's rough voice. There was a long pause as the woman, Kira, gazed up at him. Tsirrku...Odo swallowed a burst of longing as the Bajoran closed the distance between them, raising her hand to the Changeling's chest to lay it flat against his communicator. "Kira to Defiant. Two to beam up," she said softly.

"Tsirrku?"

Bashir's voice brought her out of her daze. She looked up at the faces which surrounded her--Bashir, Odo, and two others who had just arrived. Behind them, she recognized Kira, the woman from Odo's mind. Alixus paced nervously within the confines of her cell. Tsirrku tried to block out the worry the Terran woman radiated.

"I'm sorry," she whispered. "I did not expect to meet a Changeling here." She stared hard at Odo, who was almost uncomfortable with the connection. "You are not part of the Great Link," she stated matter-of-factly.

"No." His voice was melted gravel, so reminiscent of Lante's that she almost wanted to cry. "I am...not part of the Great Link." It was an admission of fact mixed with regret and stubborn pride.

"You are not part of the Dominion," she said with awe. So many things were falling like snow around her, so many long-held realities shattering like crystals. Could this gentle being, this creature of sadness and longing, truly be one of the much-feared and hated Changelings? She tried to imagine the mind she'd just touched--a mind her training had always told her she was incapable of touching--ordering the annihilation of an entire planet. She couldn't.

"Mr. Odo was separated from his people at birth and sent out among the stars to gather information." This came from one of the newcomers, a short fair woman in a red Starfleet uniform. "He is a valuable and trusted member of the DS9 staff," the woman continued.

Tsirrku felt an almost immediate dislike for this woman. Try as she might, she could not pull away quickly enough from Necheyev to avoid the distasteful contact with her mind. The admiral was surrounded by an aura of dislike--no one in the room even pretended to do anything but despise her. And Tsirrku understood why. Necheyev was everything she'd ever imagine a Changeling as being--cold, heartless, a user of people and worlds. Tsirrku physically pulled back from the admiral, who hovered over her with what could only be described as greed in her eyes. The Alezai had a sudden and intense impression of cold rooms, examination tables, and long, uncomfortable interrogations. Under no circumstances would she allow herself to be taken with this woman, even if it meant abandoning her own life.

"That is true," Odo admitted. "It seems my people wanted to gather information about the galaxy...."

"They betrayed you," Tsirrku said softly as Bashir and the other Terran man helped her to her feet. "Just as they betrayed me."

The Changeling's eyes widened, but he said nothing.

"Tsirrku," the dark-skinned Terran said. "I am Commander Benjamin Sisko, and this is Admiral Necheyev. Dr. Bashir tells us there's some trouble." His sentence ended on a slightly higher note than it started, hoping against hope that there really wasn't any trouble to speak of.

"There really isn't any trouble to speak of," Tsirrku said graciously. "I simply wish to remain with Alixus until the healing process is complete."

Necheyev released a tight, viperous smile. "I'm afraid that isn't possible. Ms. Merrill is on leave from a detention facility and has only a few days before she must return."

Tsirrku echoed Sisko's annoyance at this woman's callous disregard for Alixus, who sat quietly watching from her cell, but said nothing.

"Besides," the admiral continued, "we would like to welcome you to the Federation. I'm here to escort you to Earth, where many of our leaders would like to get to know you."

"I'll bet," came from somewhere in back. Tsirrku recognized the voice as Kira's.

"Admiral, I will be glad to give you any information I can." Squaring her shoulders, she said, "I have no love for the Dominion, or the Founders. But I have been out of contact with the Dominion for several cycles. In fact, I never even met a Changeling until today. Surely you have more recent and, no doubt, more accurate information than I could give you." She said this with a pointed glance at Odo, who shifted uncomfortably.

"Nevertheless," Necheyev continued. "We are still interested in what you have to say. If, as your holo recording says, the Dominion was once a peaceful entity, perhaps there is still a way to establish peaceful trade with them."

"If you believe that, Admiral, then you are a fool. The Dominion does not want peaceful trade. No," she said firmly. "I will remain with Alixus until she is healed."

"Alixus has access to the best medical and psychological treatment in the Federation," Necheyev assured her sweetly. "You needn't worry about her."

You're lying, Tsirrku thought without bothering to transmit the thought into the admiral's mind. Even if she had been concerned with Alixus's health, why would Starfleet waste the best treatment on someone they obviously considered a petty criminal? "Your treatments are not working," she said instead.

Necheyev tightened her jaw slightly. "Alixus is a very sick woman. These things take time."

"Your doctors are trying to heal her mind. There is nothing wrong with her mind."

"I'm not a doctor, but I have faith in Federation medical knowledge."

Tsirrku swallowed an angry remark. From what little she knew about these Terrans, she was certain they had no idea how to cure Alixus. They flirted around the source, swaddling it in religion and mysticism and metaphysics without ever getting any nearer to understanding. "This is not a matter of medicine or rehabilitation. I can cure her," she said, her eyes locking hard with the admiral's. "If that is what you wish for her."

Necheyev took a deep breath. "Of course, that's--"

"I share a healing bond with Alixus, Admiral. This bond will allow me to cure her; to break it would come at great risk to both of our lives."

"And that is not a risk we want to take," Bashir said from the sidelines.

"Doctor," the admiral warned.

"There is no choice," Tsirrku said blandly. "I cannot and will not break the healing bond."

"Tsirrku," Sisko said gently. "We are leaving in a matter of hours for the Orellius system. There simply isn't enough time--"

"Then I will accompany you to Orellius, Commander."

"That is out of the question," Necheyev began.

"Actually," Bashir interjected. "It sounds like an excellent compromise. Commander," he queried.

Sisko nodded reluctantly.

"I'd like to come along also," the doctor continued. "The healing process Tsirrku utilizes is unstable at best, given Alixus's current condition. I would monitor the proceedings and--"

"Yes, Doctor," Sisko said impatiently.

Tsirrku felt a wave of sympathy for the commander. Her shielding a thing of the past, she knew exactly how much he dreaded this journey.

And Tsirrku's sympathy for Sisko doubled when the admiral said sweetly, "Since it seems we have no choice in the matter, I believe I'll come along as well. It's been a while since I've had a vacation, and the fresh air of Orellius sounds perfect." She wasn't making a suggestion.


There were few things Benjamin Sisko enjoyed more than helming a runabout. Throwing a perfect curveball, perhaps. Or getting a shrimp sauce piquant just right. Few things ranked up there with the joy of feeling the controls respond to his touch, feeling the power of this lithe, tiny ship responding to his command. It made him feel omnipotent, empowered.

"Entering Orellius Minor system."

Sisko sighed as the body attached to the voice giving the report settled back in her seat. Leave it to Admiral Necheyev to ruin an otherwise wonderful experience. "Plotting course for the Orellius colony," he said through gritted teeth. "Doctor, how are our guests?"

Bashir stepped up from the back of the cabin, where Alixus and Tsirrku sat talking quietly. "Not so good," the physician sighed. "Tsirrku is having trouble maintaining a connection with Alixus. Each time she begins what she calls sculpting, their readings plummet." He tried valiantly not to look at Necheyev. "Tsirrku thinks it's the enclosed setting. There are too many conflicting thoughts and emotions vying for her attention."

Sisko didn't wait for the words to settle. Necheyev could digest that on her own time. "We will be arriving at the colony shortly. It may be easier for her to continue once Alixus is back in familiar surroundings."

Bashir nodded.

"Doctor," Sisko added sotto voce. "Can you do anything about the garment lock?"

Bashir turned to Alixus. She had changed from the hospital shift she wore on Starbase 93; however, the tiny black lock which symbolized her medical status still clung to the back of the soft green frock she wore. "It's for her own protection. Not only does it keep her from...harming herself, but it acts in much the same way as the old perscan devices. It provides constant medical readings, as well as acting as a homing device in case...." He let the words drift off.

"I know that," Sisko said. "And I understand your concern." With a glance towards Tsirrku, who sat protectively at the side of her charge, he added, "But I'm willing to gamble that she's not going to try anything foolish. Besides, she will be under either your or Tsirrku's constant supervision."

The doctor followed his gaze and sighed. "I wish I knew exactly what was going on, Commander. My guess is that if she could teach us her sculpting technique, Tsirrku could greatly add to the Federation body of medical knowledge." At the look of genuine interest on Necheyev's face, Bashir blanched and added, "But I agree with you; anything Alixus did now to harm herself would harm Tsirrku as well. I don't think she is willing to do that."

"Then you'll remove the lock?" He paused, not sure why this was suddenly so important to him. "Alixus founded this colony; she was its leader for ten years." Shaking his head, he continued, "The least we can do is give her a bit of dignity."

After a long moment of consideration, Bashir nodded and returned to the back of the cabin. Sisko turned back to the forward viewer, feeling slightly better about the situation.

"My, aren't we the compassionate one?"

For a brief instant, he'd almost forgotten Necheyev was sitting next to him. Thank the Prophets she was there to remind him. "Do you have a problem with my decision, Admiral?" he countered darkly.

From the look she gave him, Sisko had no doubt that Admiral Necheyev could single-handedly quell a band of Orion pirates by sheer force of that acid charm. "You're willing to gamble that the prisoner is not going to try anything foolish," she said softly. "But if you come up snake eyes, and we lose the Alezai in the process..." The gleam in her eyes was pure malice. "Your career is mine." Without missing a beat, she continued full-voice, "Now entering communications range of the Orellius colony."

"Establishing standard orbit." Sisko bit back his sarcastic response, choosing instead to follow her lead of insincere professionalism. "Hail the colony. If the duonetic field is activated, we may not be able to establish contact until we are planetside."

Necheyev punched the command into the control panel before her, then said, "This is the vessel Oronoco hailing Orellius colony. Come in, Orellius colony."

There was an almost instantaneous response. "This is the Orellius colony."

"Establishing visual contact." Necheyev raised her eyebrows slightly. "So much for eschewing modern technology."

At that moment, Sisko came as close as he'd ever come to hitting a woman. He took a deep breath before addressing the image of the man which blinked onto the screen. "Joseph," he said with more enthusiasm than he felt.

The colony's leader smiled broadly. "Ben," he said warmly. "I always knew our paths would cross again."

"I'm only sorry it has to be such an unhappy occasion," Sisko replied. He did not look behind him to see if Alixus was listening. At this moment, he didn't know if he could look her in the eye.

"Yes, we heard. Since Thierren's accident, we've maintained an emergency communications link with the Red Cross. We received a message from Dr. Breel'anso through them a few days ago." His kind face darkened slightly. "How is Alixus?" he asked.

Sisko paused, wondering the same thing himself. "She is...as well as can be expected under the circumstances." He didn't allow himself to remember the expression on Joseph's face as O'Brien revealed the secret of Alixus's duonetic device to the colonists only a year before. He tried not to think of the undeniable love which had passed between Alixus and her people, even as she was being hauled off for the crime which had marooned them for ten years. The "victims" of her crime considered what she'd accomplished on Orellius nothing short of a miracle.

Joseph took a long breath, then said much too brightly, "We have prepared accommodations for you and your crew. We hope you will remain planetside during your stay."

"That will be..." Sisko turned to Necheyev, whose face held all the anticipatory glow of a root canal patient. "...wonderful. We shall beam down momentarily." With that, Joseph broke the contact.

Sisko turned to the three passengers at the back of the cabin. If Alixus had listened to the exchange, she allowed no response to show on her face. The Orellian woman stared tiredly at her two healers, who in turn looked expectantly at Sisko. "If you're ready..." he prompted.

Tsirrku and Bashir nodded almost simultaneously.

"Very well," Sisko set the commands on automatic, then stood to join his passengers. With a polite nod to Necheyev, he said, "If you'd prefer to wait this out aboard the Orinoco, Admiral--"

Necheyev was at his side immediately. "I wouldn't miss it for the world, Commander," she countered smoothly.

Sisko sighed, then said simply, "Five to beam down."


Part 4