A FRESH COAT OF PAINT

Written by Sadie Maxwell

Christopher Pike sat in his cabin, glaring at Phil Boyce out the corner of his eyes. "I'm not going. It's as simple as that."

"`Daring Starfleet Captain chickens out of formal affair.' A charming epitaph for a brilliant career."

"I'm not chickening out of anything, and don't talk about me as if I were dead. Fleet commander is not exactly out to pasture."

Dr. Philip Boyce grinned at his soon-to-be former commanding officer. "Let's not get into that, shall we?" He stretched back against the headboard of Pike's narrow bunk.

"I have a backlog of paperwork a meter high. I can't go traipsing off to some--"

"If it were anybody other than Clive Barrow--"

"Clive Barrow was an obnoxious little twerp in the Academy, and he's still an obnoxious little twerp."

"An obnoxious little twerp who's also the premier violinist of our time."

"So? He couldn't make the soccer team."

Boyce scowled. "Why don't you admit you're jealous?"

"Jealous? Just because this little idiot who couldn't spell his own name--"

"Is now rich and famous and successful. Yeah, something like that. He must want you to come. He sent you a personal invitation. That in itself is going to be a collectors' item someday."

"I'm not impressed." At Boyce's accusing look, he shrugged. "I don't have a date."

"You're a coward. There are half-a-dozen women who'd jump at the chance to join you at that concert."

"Half a dozen?" Pike sighed, picking up his empty martini glass and pacing before his desk. "Phil, this guy Barrow managed to beat me out of every competition in school. He was this underfed little weasel of a boy; he never cared about anything. But he always got the better of me. It's humiliating. He just wants to gloat." He looked down at his hands, embarrassed. "At my senior ball, my date dumped me for him because she wanted to be with a musician."

Boyce looked quietly at his captain, studying his down-cast face closely. "This has got to be the most idiotic conversation we have ever had."

"I know it is. But, really. Didn't you ever have somebody that you just wanted to show up? To rub his nose in the ground?"

"You're a starship captain; you're supposed to be above that sort of pettiness." He placed his empty glass onto the table next to the bed. "It's not like you don't have any reason to be proud. You've been promoted to fleet commander, for goodness sake." Pike continued to stare dejectedly at his shoes. "Just go to the damn party and have a good time. Stop being such an adolescent."

"I can't go alone."

"Get a date."

"At this time? The concert's in two days."

Boyce stood up, heading for the door. "Stop stalling, then. Find a date, go to the party and get on with it."

<--->

"Come on, little guy. Don't give up on me now." Number One lifted the sagging pink vine to an upright position, only to watch it flop back into the moist soil the moment she let go. "All right, that's enough. You're making me look bad." She lifted the vine again, packing the gooey mud underneath it for support. The defeated plant just lay there, pathetic.

She sat back on her heels, brushing her hair out of her face with one gloved hand. As she felt the mud smear onto her light skin, she groaned, "Great. Thanks a lot, Junior." She stared down at it, perplexed. "Now, just what is the problem here? I've given you water and light; I keep you in good soil. Hell, I even talk to you. Why won't you grow? Why is it that a person who can perform high level mathematics in her head cannot get one lousy vine to grow?"

"You might be over-watering it."

She whirled around to see Captain Christopher Pike standing behind her, an amused look just breaking past his bright blue eyes. She quickly snapped back into character. "Sir, you startled me."

"Sorry, Number One." He squatted down in the mud beside her. "Yup, definitely over-watering."

"But, the manual said--"

"Manual doesn't know everything. Sansuras vines only need to be watered once every two weeks. This poor fellow looks like you watered him at least--"

"Once a day," She looked down at the vine apologetically and sighed. "Poor thing. I've been drowning you."

"Shame on you. Even once a week is too much." He lifted the vine and rubbed a sickly pink leaf between his thumb and forefinger. "Don't water it for several weeks. It should be OK."

"Thank you, sir. Dr. Boyce `suggested' I get a hobby." Pike smiled, familiar with the Chief Surgeon's suggestions. "Perhaps gardening wasn't such a wise choice." Suddenly aware of the mud streaked across her face, she stood up, all business. "Was there something you needed?"

"Uh, yes." Pike stood also, stepping into the cleansing tray where a wave of low-intensity sonics removed the soil from his uniform boots. "Commander, have you made any plans for this leave?"

She turned to him, surprised. Not once had he ever inquired into her personal life. Her relationship with Captain Pike had mellowed over the years, but had always remained strictly professional. "No, sir. I was just going to do a little light reading."

"Schematics for the Pacific, no doubt."

A slight smile danced across her lips. "How did you guess?"

"Just a hunch. Captain," he added. "Just trying it on for size." He stepped onto the terrarium's walkway, and gestured for her to join him. Slipping off her gloves, she was surprised when he offered her his hand. After she'd removed the grime from her boots, she stepped onto the walkway beside him. "Number One, I..."

"Yes, sir?"

"I know that your personal time is very important to you, but--" He looked away for a moment, as if arguing with himself. "I wouldn't bother you with this if there was any other way... but, would you like to go to a Clive Barrow concert with me tomorrow night, Commander?"

"A date?" She looked at him incredulously. "You're asking me on a date?"

"No, no. You see, I have these tickets and an invitation to a private party afterwards. I wouldn't go at all, except--well, that's irrelevant. The problem is I waited too long, and everybody else is already busy--"

She felt the slight tinge of excitement flicker and died in the pit of her stomach. "I see."

Noting the raised eyebrow and subtle look of hurt in her eyes, Pike quickly took her hand in his. "No, that's not right at all. I didn't mean..." He shook his head. "I'm getting in deeper by the second. I just know how you value your personal time, that's all. I didn't want to impose."

"It's no imposition," she said flatly. She removed her hand from his grasp, walking ahead of him towards the exit. "Should I get a new outfit or will my dress uniform suffice?

"You'll go?" he asked, then smiled broadly. "I knew I could count on you. And don't worry about what to wear. Just slap on a fresh coat of paint; you'll look fine. As a matter of fact, charge it to the ship's budget."

"Sir, that would hardly be appropriate."

"You'll be representing the Enterprise. I'll just put it down as a public relations expense." Pike thumped her soundly on the shoulders. "Thank you, Commander. I knew you'd come through for me." He left the terrarium with a smile on his face, leaving her staring after him, hands on her hips.

"Like your faithful dog Trey." She stared at the closed door. "Arf. Arf." She turned back to the wilted vine. "Know what I think, Junior? Somebody needs to teach our captain some manners." Looking down at her soiled hands and clothes, she muttered. "Slap on a fresh coat of paint, indeed."

<--->

"Howdy, Farmer Girl," Phil Boyce was loitering in the corridor outside the terrarium when Number One exited.

"I killed the plant you gave me," she muttered, preoccupied.

"Nonsense." He stepped in beside her as she walked to the turbo. "Just don't water it for a couple of weeks."

Number One, stopping dead in her tracks, spun to face the laughing Boyce. "You've been eavesdropping again," she accused.

"I have never witnessed such a romantic invitation in my life." He grinned at her, then laughed again as she rolled her eyes in exasperation. "It's your own fault, you know. You should've weaned him off that `Number One' routine years ago."

"Don't start with me, Boyce. I still outrank you."

"As if that ever meant anything." Boyce put his arm around her waist, leading her to the turbolift. "Why is it that, after all these years, I'm the only person on board this ship who knows what a fun person you are?"

"Because you have an overactive imagination, Doctor." She slipped out of his grasp and into the empty turbo. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to see a man about some paint."

<--->

"She said she be here an hour before." Pike paced the floor of his hotel room nervously. "She's never been late in her entire life, and she picks tonight to start?"

Phil Boyce adjusted the collar of his dress uniform, then surveyed his appearance in the mirror. "Would you stop acting like a scared teenager, for christsake? She'll get here when she gets here."

"I'm going to wait out in the hall."

"Chris, if you don't calm down, I'm going to pump you so full of tranquilizers, you'll walk funny for weeks." He slid on his jacket. "By the way, thanks for wrangling an invite for me."

"I need all the moral support I can get." He checked the chronometer again. "You don't think she's in any trouble, do you?"

"She's a lousy five minutes late."

"For anyone else, five minutes is nothing. But this is my first officer, remember? I don't know--" A beep from the communications console interrupted him.

As Boyce flipped on the receiver, a female voice filled the room. "Sorry I'm late, sir. I'll meet you in the lobby." Before he could reply, she terminated the transmission.

"Well, that's our cue. How're you doing, son?"

Pike sighed. "I don't want to go."

Boyce took his arm. "I've seen you dive head first into a gang of intoxicated Orions. One little party is not going to kill you."

"I hate parties," Pike grumbled as the doctor dragged him to the door. "Thank God for Number One. At least I know I can count on her. No tricks, no surprises."

<--->

The first officer was standing at the far side of the lobby when the two men arrived. She turned and nodded quickly to the desk clerk, then headed towards them.

When Pike saw her, he swallowed hard. If she had charged this outfit to the ship's budget, it was definitely worth it. His exec wore a form-fitting red dress which reached just below her narrow hips. From the plunging neckline to the tight-fitting bodice to the short, revealing skirt, the blood-ruby dress clung boldly to every inch of the tall woman's slender body.

Attached to a silver collar around her neck was a strip of sheer ruby gauze, which spiraled its way down her slim form. Her hair was swept up diagonally and was held in place by a gleaming crystal bulb. Shining red and silver streaks offset the rich brown tresses of her long hair.

Pike leaned over to Boyce and whispered, "I knew I could count on her. Barrow is going to turn purple when he sees me walking in with her."

"Sometimes your maturity astounds me," Boyce muttered sarcastically, still gawking at the first officer.

Every inch of her exposed skin - and there was certainly a lot of it - had been painted a sparkling silver. Her shoulders, arms and endlessly long legs glistened with the stuff. From the collar up, however, her skin was a gleaming porcelain white - her throat, jaw, eyes and lips were smooth and perfect. Tongues of ruby fire framed her long face, offsetting her striking features. The flames shot up into her elaborate coiffure, creating an effect that turned heads throughout the lobby.

As she neared them, Pike became increasingly aware of the startled looks on the hotel patrons' faces. The closer she got, the more he understood their surprise. The daring red dress was not a dress at all. Except for the strategically arranged gauze, his proper, upright Exec actually wore only an exquisitely crafted body painting, complete in every detail down to the tiny puckers where seams should have been. Distance and the gauze combined to create an optical illusion of clothing, but close up there was little doubt as to the...physical charms of Number One.

She reached them slowly, graciously ignoring the look of shock on both men's faces. "Sorry I'm late, gentlemen. Body painting is a long, expensive," she looked pointedly at the captain, "process. Shall we go?"

Speechless, Pike could only nod. Not looking down at her outfit, he led her out of the lobby. Boyce followed, shaking his head. "It's gonna be an interesting evening."

<--->

"I detest playing these boony planets, actually. They're so out of touch." Clive Barrow stroked his thin, olive moustache contemptuously as Pike and Number One listened on. "Really, Chris, I never knew how you could stand it."

"Well, I--"

"Of course, there are times when I am..." He raked his sharp green eyes down the front of Number One's painted body. "...pleasantly surprised. My dear girl, whatever are you doing hiding yourself out here in the middle of nowhere?"

"I like the boondocks." She cast a cool, seductive glance at the musician. "Gives me plenty of time to...think."

"You Academy women are all the same." He put an arm around her waist, effectively blocking Pike out of the conversation. "So much thinking, so little action."

Pike circled back in front of the pair. "Actually, Clive, we saw a lot of action out on--"

"That's a lovely art piece you're wearing, my dear. Of course, body painting is considered somewhat passé on the more fashionable worlds, but given the natural beauty of this particular canvas," he stroked the statuesque woman's shoulder. "I'm sure we can forgive. But certainly never forget."

"Why, thank you, Mr. Barrow."

"Call me Clive. So tell me, how is this body painting done, anyway? I never thought to ask before."

"It's really a simple process. Just like a normal painting, only the artist uses a special paint. It was designed decades ago for theatrical use - it's much more practical that any form of makeup since it doesn't rub off or smear. It was only introduced into the fashion and art world recently." She held out a hand to Barrow. "It's really quite comfortable. You can hardly tell it's there."

Barrow caressed the outstretched hand. "Feels just like the soft skin of a lovely woman." Kissing it, he leered up at her. "I make take up a new hobby. The paint is waterproof, isn't it? Or should I be out searching for a rainstorm?"

Number One laughed politely. "No, it's waterproof. You can't wash it off with regular soap or with sonics. The design can last for days before it fades."

"I'm intrigued. My dear, however do you get this off?"

She smiled. "Sorry. Trade secret."

"Perhaps I'll discover that secret. I'm not completely without... research experience."

Pike suppressed a groan. "So, tell me, Clive. How's Louise?"

"Louise?"

"Your wife."

Barrow laughed heartily. "Dear God, Chris. Lou and I let that contract slip years ago. You must get yourself onto my fan club's mailing list. It will help you stay up to date with my career." He smiled at Number One. "Poor fellow, he was always like this--so wrapped up in his texts and manuals that he never knew what was going on. All he cared about was Starfleet."

"Well, it takes a lot of work." Number One smiled provocatively.

"If I'd have known there were treasures like this out in space, I might have studied harder at the Academy. Of course, I was always at the top of my class, but my heart just wasn't in it." He took a sip of his champagne, winking broadly at Number One. "Dreadful place, really, the Academy. Most horrendous music program I've ever seen."

"It is geared more towards space exploration," she admitted.

"Speaking of exploration..." Pike began.

"Speaking of exploration, would you care to explore the dance floor with me, my dear? I feel a rhythm approaching."

"I'd love to." She slipped one silver arm in his, and they glided onto the floor together.

Pike looked angrily after them. "Son of a bitch," he muttered.

<--->

"Look at them, will you?"

Boyce sat at the table with Pike, munching on a Betelgeuse Surprise. "For crying out loud, Captain, will you please stop mooning over her?"

"I'm not mooning over anyone. I just think it's unbecoming for a Starfleet officer to act like such a ... groupie."

"She's just dancing with him."

The younger man bit into his watercress sandwich. "She's been dancing with him for twenty minutes. Did you see that guy's hands? Even if she was wearing clothes, which she's not, she should've slapped him half a dozen times."

"I never knew you were such a prude."

"I'm not a prude. I just don't believe it's proper for an officer to be such an exhibitionist."

"If it were you she was dancing with, I figure you'd have a different story to tell." He ignored the captain's insulted glare. "Why didn't you just ask her to dance first?"

"Because that snob never let me get a word in edgewise." He stared at the couple on the dance floor. Barrow whispered in Number One's ear, and she tilted her head back in laughter. The musician took advantage of the moment to place a lingering kiss on her throat. "Did you see that?" Pike nearly choked on his sandwich. "What are they going to do next, make love right there on the dance floor?"

Phil Boyce pushed his plate away. "I think I've heard just about enough of this." He laid a withering glare on the younger man seated across from him. "I have always considered you an easygoing, intelligent man. But judging by your behavior of the last few days, maybe it's time I reconsider my opinion."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"It means, Captain, that you are the one being an insufferable boor, not Number One and not Barrow. You've been trying to use your first officer to get back at Barrow for something he did years ago. And when she doesn't act exactly the way you expected, you sit here like a spoiled child pouting. No wonder she doesn't want to have anything to do with you."

"If she's trying to get back at me by acting like a tram--"

"Who in the hell do you think you are?" Boyce folded his arms across his chest. "Just because you made it clear from the start that your relationship with Number One would be strictly business, did you honestly expect her to swear off men altogether?"

"Phil--"

"That's it, isn't it? You thought she was celibate all these years." He peered at the younger man, the embarrassed look on Pike's face answering his accusation. "How can you work that closely with someone for over ten years and not know the first thing about her?"

"I--"

He turned to the dance floor, indicating the couple. "Now, if you were half the man I always thought you were, you'd go up to them, tap that fellow on the shoulders, and prove to her how much you appreciate her."

Pike said nothing, then pushed his chair away from the table to stand.

"Good boy."

"I need some air." Without further explanation, the captain of the Enterprise turned and walked out into the hotel garden.

Boyce watched the retreating form and stood. Heading for the dance floor, he muttered to himself. "The things I do for those two."

<--->

Phil Boyce tapped the tall Alzarian on the shoulder. "Pardon me, Barrow. Do you mind if I cut in?"

The man looked at the beautiful woman before him and then smiled tightly at the doctor. "Of course not."

As Barrow left the floor, Number One slid easily into Boyce's arms. "Remind me to thank you properly when I get the chance, Phil."

"He can't be that bad."

She sighed, resting her head on his shoulder. "He's been outlining in excruciating detail every award he's won over the last twenty years. I never dreamed anyone that brilliant could be that boring!"

"Why didn't you just excuse yourself?"

"What? With such an attentive audience?" She grinned at Boyce. "Where is the injured puppy, anyway?"

"Out in the garden, licking his wounds. You two have been playing this game long enough, don't you think?"

"I'm sick of being taken for granted."

"Number One, for ten years you've been playing this part for him--the strong, cool exec. Hell, I know he takes you for granted, but you never did anything to discourage it. Now you've gone and changed the rules."

"He asked me out. He was absolutely certain that I would not have any plans, that I have no life outside of this ship."

"Did you have any plans?"

She looked away. "That's irrelevant." As he began to chuckle, she turned back to him. "I'm talking about something more than a stupid party, Phil. I'm talking about..." She blew out a heavy sigh. "I'm not sure what I'm talking about, really. All I know is that he makes me feel like a child. Or worse, a computer. I have feelings, too."

"Then you'll be happy to know he's been miserable the entire evening."

"Good."

Boyce let out a tired breath. "I cannot believe that two adults whom I admire so much are acting like such children." She began to protest, but he silenced her with a quick lift of his head. "Now, I want you to go out there and make up. If you want his undivided attention," he looked rakishly down at her painted body, "you'll never have a better opportunity. I've already given him a stern talking to, so you can go and be nice to him."

"But--"

"But nothing, young lady. Not only has your behavior been childish, it's been thoroughly unprofessional."

She looked at him sharply. "Now that hurt."

"In a few weeks, you are going to be leaving for your own ship. It's too late to start playing games with each other now. If you have a problem with his attitude, tell him. I'm not letting you blow your friendship with Chris after all these years. Understood?"

She bit one lip, suddenly feeling every bit the child he accused her of being. "Understood."

<--->

Christopher Pike stood in the yellow moonlight, staring at the sansuras vines which snaked over the balcony's edge. The music from the party wafted out on the warm air, teasing him. Phil Boyce's harsh words might have been a blow to his ego, but they were absolutely right. He didn't know his first officer at all.

He'd always considered Number One a friend. Even after that tragic incident on Talos IV, even after the Keeper had told him of her private fantasies, he'd managed to keep things professional. Pike had never thought of her as anything but a fine officer and a good person. He'd never allowed himself to consider the fact that underneath that fine officer and good person was a disarmingly attractive woman.

He stifled a stab of jealousy as he remembered her dancing with Clive Barrow. It was true - he had been using her; he had assumed she would always be the same person she was on the Bridge. And when faced with the unavoidable truth that Number One did indeed have a social life, he'd responded with all the jealousy and self-pity of a spoiled teenager. Pike sighed. And he'd called Barrow a jerk.

"Being anti-social, are we?" Number One stood behind him, a flicker of a smile brightening her cerulean eyes.

"Hi." He turned around, carefully avoiding the opportunity to look at her painted skin. "Where's Clive?"

"Oh, he's off boring somebody to tears, I'm sure." She stared at him accusingly. "I had to wait for Phil to rescue me. Some hero you are."

Carefully, he smiled at her. "You seemed pretty much in charge of the situation to me." To his relief, she smiled back. "In fact, I don't think you're capable of being helpless. Especially in that getup."

"How would you know? You haven't even looked at it." Challenge. The best way to bring out Christopher Pike's true nature.

"To tell you the truth, I've been avoiding it," he admitted, beginning to relax slightly. "When I said `slap on a fresh coat of paint,' I was just joking."

She placed a silver hand on his shoulder. "I'm a dangerous person to joke with, sir."

"I can see that," he whispered, his calm shattered once more by her nearness.

"You still haven't asked me to dance. Don't you know that's rude?" Her blue eyes were sparkling beneath the painted lids. As Pike cautiously placed his hands around her waist, she slid firmly into his arms. "There now, that wasn't so hard, was it?"

Pike closed his eyes as they began to sway slowly to the music. In the moonlight, it had been possible to convince his eyes that Number One was indeed wearing a dress. There was no such illusion now.

As his hands touched her unbearably smooth skin, he realized that, in order be painted, her body hair would have been removed. Pike shivered as he felt the firm muscles shifting under her soft skin. Even though the gauze covering her breasts and pelvis gave her some semblance of modesty, his body and mind knew he was dancing with a completely naked woman. Embarrassed, he started to pull away.

"You wouldn't desert me on the dance floor, would you?" It was obvious that Number One was enjoying every bit of his discomfort. She smiled and drew herself even closer into his arms.

"Of course not." Resigned to his fate, Pike held her closely, trying to ignore the tugging in his groin. With any other woman, he would have been beside himself with joy. But this was his Number One, his right arm, the person he trusted to defend his back, to protect his ship, to--

Her lips brushed his jaw, and Christopher Pike forgot all about his ship. Scooping her into a passionate kiss, he let go of the anger and jealousy, losing himself in her taste and texture. Number One returned the kiss, increasing it, the passion mounting until both of them drew back, gasping for breath.

He looked into her painted face, catching the glint of laughter and desire in her eyes. "This is wrong," he murmured, only half-believing it.

"Oh, definitely."

"I'm your commanding officer." He reached up with one finger to toy with the crystal holding her lustrous hair captive.

"For a few more weeks, anyway." She touched the point of his chin and kissed his lips again. As the kiss deepened, the couple decided silently to ignore that thought. Neither wanted to kick themselves for time wasted.

Pulling away with a gasp, Pike finally gathered the nerve to look down at her outfit. "How do you get this stuff off, anyway?"

Wrapping her arms firmly around his neck, Number One gave him a flirtatious look. "Sorry. Trade secret."

<--->

Boyce stared out the window at the embracing couple. "Well, it's about time." He turned to the Menduvian waiter bending over the nearest table and tapped him on the shoulder. "Buddy, could you do me a favor?"

The purple-skinned humanoid nodded enthusiastically. "Good, good. Glad to help."

"See that couple out in the garden?" He indicated Pike and Number One, who were locked in another searing kiss.

Two of the Menduvian's yellow eyes popped open in surprise, while the other three merely wrinkled up in amusement. "See, yes. Very pretty."

"Well, when Caesar and Cleopatra come up for air, would you give them a message for me?"

The waiter held out one knobby hand inconspicuously. "Memory bad."

Boyce dropped a token amount of credits into the Menduvian's hand and was not surprised when the alien's memory miraculously improved. "Good, good. Give message."

"Tell them Dr. Boyce developed a splitting headache and went back to the hotel room." He winked at the Menduvian, who burst into delighted peals of laughter. "And this is the important part -- tell them I'll be asleep in twenty minutes, so don't bother checking in. Don't forget that - I'll be sound asleep; I won't hear a thing." He turned his head toward the door, indicating a generously-endowed redhead who smiled and waved flirtatiously at him, then turned back to the Menduvian with a broad grin.

The waiter nodded vigorously. "Yes, yes. Play Cupid arrow." He burst into laughter again, heading toward the kitchen.

Boyce looked out into the garden again. Pike was toying with Number One's hair, a look of undisguised lust on his face. "Not even those two could miss that hint."

<--->

"So, you can't rub it off." Pike leaned Number One against the wall outside her hotel room, oblivious to the world around them. He placed a lingering kiss on her collar bone, then murmured, "Can't kiss it off, either."

She ran one long hand through his hair, laughing. "Doesn't hurt to double-check all methods, though."

Pike experimented, planting kiss after kiss on her soft skin and rubbing his hands down her slim torso. The design remained clean and vibrant. "Triple check, even," came his muffled response.

"It could take days to explore all the possible means of removal."

As Pike was about to begin experimenting with alternative methods, an elderly couple rounded the corner dressed in evening clothes. The man tried to conceal his smile, but his female companion seemed genuinely shocked. Pulling away, but keeping his body directly in front of his companion, Pike nodded sheepishly to them. The woman did not seem amused as she shuffled past the younger couple.

When they vanished around the corner, Pike turned back to Number One, who burst into laughter. "Perhaps I should go back to my room," he suggested.

"Some researcher!" She twisted her fingers in the lapel of his jacket. "Where would we be if Zephram Cochran had given up so easily? Or Edison?" She pulled him to her, slipping one hand into his jacket. "You wouldn't want to let down the scientific community, would you? Tsk, tsk. Letting a little scandal in the lay community frighten you from your research." She shook her head.

"Well, maybe if we had someplace a little more private to work."

She fingered the knotted silver collar around her throat, removing a tiny room key, which she handed to Pike. "Enter, sir."

"How did you...never mind." He opened the door, leading her into the darkened room. As the antiquated sensors ignited lamps in either corner of the room, Pike drew her into his arms once more. "Thank you," he whispered.

"For what?"

"For not being angry with me. I was a perfect idiot tonight."

"So what else is new?" She slipped gracefully out of his arms and sat on the somewhat dilapidated bed.

"I really am sorry," he sat on the bed beside her, twisting a strand of her painted hair between his thumb and forefinger, "I was completely insensitive and inconsiderate tonight."

Ignoring his apology, Number One pressed herself against him. "You would never make it as a scientist." She ran her hand suggestively up his chest. "Too easily distracted from your work." She tugged at his collar, loosening the material until she could slide her hands around his neck.

"Some distractions are difficult to ignore."

She worked her hands under his jacket, pushing it off his shoulders. "You have to be single-minded, Captain." She slid her finger smoothly down the hidden seam of his dress uniform. "It's the mark of a true professional." She opened his tunic, caressing his bare chest and tugging the shirt tails out of his tight dress uniform pants. "You must never, ever lose sight of your goal."

"You're a credit to your profession, Commander."

She slid her hands down to cup the hard bulge in his pants. "Oh, I try to be, sir. I truly do."

Unable to resist her teasing any longer, Pike pushed the laughing woman down on the bed, claiming her with a single, forceful kiss. As the laughter died, their passion grew; and Number One fumbled to loosen his trousers. Pike did not resist as she freed his erect cock, fondling and caressing it in her warm, silver hand. Carefully removing her hand, he slipped out of his pants.

Number One took advantage of the momentary reprieve to slide off the bed onto her knees before him. Ignoring his protests, she sucked his erection between her painted lips, caressing the bulbous head with her soft, darting tongue. Pike moaned as she pulled his length into her throat, inch by agonizing inch. When the head barely brushed the back of her throat, Pike thought he would explode. It was obvious to him that that was exactly what Number One wanted him to do. She sucked him gently, expertly, teasing him to the point of insanity.

"No!" He pulled her away reluctantly. "Not yet." Pike caught the woman's shoulders, meaning to lift her onto the bed, but Number One had other ideas. In one quick movement, she had him flat on his back on the floor next to her.

The painted fire framing her face was but a mere reflection of the flames in her smoky blue eyes. Number One smiled ferally and began kissing his body slowly, up and down his chest and stomach.

"Number One," he begged, pulling her to him, trying to get her to straddle him; but the woman continued her maddeningly slow exploration of his body. "That's it!" Unable to wait any longer, Pike grabbed her wrists, rolling her hard onto her back. She tried to twist out from under him, but he was prepared for her. He countered simply and held her under his greater weight.

"Don't forget who taught you that move. And don't forget..." He slipped his hand between her legs, ignoring her struggles. "I fight dirty." She moaned low in her throat as he forced first one, then two fingers into her smooth, wet opening. With the flat of his thumb, he found the sensitive knob of flesh and rubbed it in a circular motion.

When her moans grew louder and the struggling turned into rhythmic undulations, Pike growled into her ear. "Give?"

"No!" She rubbed her pelvis harder against his hand, biting his shoulder. Pike twisted his fingers, forcing a gasp from her.

"Give?" he demanded, slipping yet another strong finger into her.

She cried out as he fingered her roughly. "Yes!"

Without another word, Pike withdrew his wet fingers, spreading her silver legs and thrusting his pulsing cock straight into her. She wrapped herself around him, sucking his ear, pumping her hips wildly against him. Just when Pike thought he wouldn't last a second longer, she threw her head back, choking out an ecstatic moan. She tightened around him, the pressure sending him into an orgasm of his own. Pike quickened his thrusts, shooting his warm juices into her until they both collapsed in a heap on the floor.

They lay there panting on the floor for a moment, curled in each other's arms. When he finally regained enough of his strength, Pike lifted his head slightly. "Damn! I still don't know how to get the paint off."

Number One smiled and edged herself up against the bed. "Like I said, you're too easily distracted." She rubbed her neck fiercely. "I'm getting too old for this."

He removed her hands and began firmly massaging her neck and shoulders. "Nonsense." As she relaxed in his hands, Pike increased the pressure, facing her away from him. "How do you get the paint off?" he murmured.

"Mmm, that feels good."

He smoothed his hands down her arms, gently easing her against him. Nuzzling her ear, again he whispered, "How do you get the paint off?" He began rocking her slowly back and forth, snaking his hands around to gently tease her ruby nipples.

"That feels good, too."

"How do you get the paint off?" Still manipulating one taut nipple between his thumb and forefinger, Pike trailed his other hand down her smooth, hard stomach, parting her legs and caressing the soft folds of flesh. "How do you get the paint off?"

She laughed, pressing back against him. "That information is classified, sir. You'll never get it out of me." She gasped as he tweaked her nipple roughly.

He licked the sensitive skin behind her ear, tugging gently on the lobe with his teeth. "Wanna bet? How do you get the paint off?" He squeezed her inner thigh, grazing the smooth lips of her sex with his thumbnail.

"Persistent little devil, aren't you?"

"Single-minded is a better word." Pike slid his hand back up her stomach, cupping her breast as he leaned her against his warm chest. "It's the mark of a true professional. How do you get the paint off?"

"The answer is so obvious--it's right in front of you." Number One laughed again, teasing him. She whirled out of his embrace to face him, the mischievous glint in her crinkled blue eyes mirroring the silver and ruby paint sparkling in the dim lamplight. "That's the trouble with you Academy men--you never see the answer even when it's staring you in the nose."

A twinkle of light from the crystal in her hair caught Pike's eye. He grinned broadly, taking the glimmering bulb in his hand. "Eureka," he breathed, flipping the catch that held Number One's hair in place. It tumbled onto her shoulders in a sparkling mass of curls.

"It's about time you figured it out." She took the crystal bulb from his hands and fingered a hidden lever. The conical top bent back, revealing a secret hollow. Number One tipped the bulb over, pouring a tiny drop of oil onto her fingertip. Where the oil touched, the silver paint vanished immediately. "It breaks down the paint on a molecular level--there's no mess at all." She touched her fingertip to the tip of her tongue, licking the oily drop. "It's completely harmless. You could drink the entire bottle and not even get a bellyache. Although it is sort of expensive to use as salad dressing..."

"How expensive?" he asked, thoughts of the ship's budget flickering briefly through his mind.

"Remember those new terminals they wanted in Botany?" She licked her lips sensuously, the ivory smile blooming to a natural pink on contact. "Maybe next year."

"You're not serious." She leaned onto him, pressing her oiled lips to his, her tongue snaking into his mouth. Pike drew back in surprise as he tasted the oil. "Strawberry?"

"Getting painted is only half the fun." She held her hand up to his lips. He kissed it, leaving a flesh-colored imprint of his lips in the silver paint. "Get it?"

He laughed softly. "Got it." As he leaned over to kiss her face, though, she jerked back quickly. "What?"

"Not the face," she ordered.

"Why not?"

She leaned against the bed, fingering the collar. "Just because. From the collar up is off limits." She loosened the strip of gauze, which swirled to the floor around her. "Of course, anywhere else, you're on your own." She handed him the crystal, then stretched out on the floor like a contented feline.

Eyeing the tantalizing picture before him, then the crystal in his hands, Pike allowed a broad grin to slide over his features. He had just as much patience as she did. Pouring a precious drop into his palm, he spread the slick fluid onto his hands. When he pressed them onto her shoulders, a flesh-colored pair of hand prints appeared. "This could be incriminating," he mentioned casually.

"Mmmmm" was all the response he got from the woman. Her eyes were closed, and a contented smile spread across her pink lips. She rolled over onto her stomach.

Pike continued his massage, smoothing his oiled hands over her shoulders and arms. Wherever his fingers touched, silver paint turned to flesh. He carefully avoided the ruby "dress," performing instead an elaborate striptease. He took first one, then another of her long hands in his, removing the paint from each of her fingers individually. Lifting her limp body, he traced the plunging neckline of the dress, spreading his hands across her collarbone. Pouring more oil into his hands, Pike shifted his attention to her legs, spreading the oil all over each of her muscular limbs. He began to pull off her flat sandals, then laughed when he realized that they too were meticulously painted on. "The artist thought of everything. You could catch your death of cold."

"Mmm, I'm going to sleep." She yelped as Pike pinched her bottom. "Hey!"

"None of that, Miss."

"Well, you could try something a little more interesting. All you're doing is getting me sleepy."

Taking that as a challenge, Pike began stroking the dress off of her body, slowly, one inch at a time. He rubbed a little of the oil on his lips, tracing them up and down her flesh, tickling her with his tongue occasionally. She moaned lightly as his mouth explored the "hem" of her dress.

When he finally rolled her onto her back, Number One was wide-eyed and alert. She tried to pull him down to her, but Pike continued his drawn-out striptease. His hands and lips roamed her stomach, finding pink skin wherever the slick oil touched. Number One moaned again, loudly this time, catching his mobile hands and leading them to her breasts. He fondled them, teasing the nipples erect.

He trailed his lips down her stomach, kissing away each inch of paint, until he was kissing the hairless lips of her sex. Number One gasped as he spread her legs, removing the painted panties. "I don't even want to know who the artist was," he mumbled as he licked and nibbled the soft folds, exposing the pink flesh beneath.

"Getting painted wasn't this--stimulating," she breathed.

"Or tasty. I love strawberries." Pike plunged his tongue into her wet hole. She squirmed, trying to get him deeper within, her entire body tingling with the exquisite friction he was causing. When he finally sucked in the pulsing bud of her clitoris, she was writhing in ecstacy. Her orgasm hit like a supernova, sending shock waves throughout her long body.

"Oh, God, please," she begged, trying to draw him down on top of her.

Pike's shaft was begging for attention, but he wasn't ready yet. Still playing the tease, he slowly unclasped the silver collar. "Now may I take off the mask?"

She looked up at him, some unreadable emotion clouding her deep blue eyes, then quickly slid out from under him.

"Number One!"

She grabbed the crystal and headed for the bathroom. "You forgot my hair."

Pike stared after the retreating woman, flabbergasted. "Your hair. Of course." He followed her into bathroom.

<--->

She was already in the shower when he arrived, her hair streaming down her back in the warm flow of water. "Well, come on." She smiled expectantly at him. "My hair, sir," she said, handing him the crystal.

Pike slicked it back through her long hair, kissing her gently. She tried to pull away, but he held her firmly. "I'm tired of making love to a mask." He placed his hands on her wet face. "I want my first officer back, thank you." Despite her protests, he caressed her face, removing the flames and frost, removing all barriers between them as well.

She looked away, as if by erasing the mask he'd also erased her confidence. "Captain..."

He silenced her doubts with a lingering kiss, pressing his wet body against her slick skin. His erection rubbed against her thigh.

"Captain," she whispered. This time it was not a question, but an endearment. She slipped her arms around him, the pounding in her chest igniting a similar reaction in his. Pike tried to lift her onto him, but she shook her head vigorously. "Slippery."

"Huh?"

"Soap. Floor. Slippery," she mumbled into his neck, pressing herself even harder against him.

Understanding, he reached behind her to turn on the sonics. A blast of icy water hit them.

"Aaaghh!" Number One turned quickly, tightening the faucet. "No sonics!"

Pike's teeth were chattering. "I can see that, Number One." He reached out of the stall to pull an oversized towel from the peg on the door. He wrapped the cloth around Number One, who shivered in his arms. His penis flapped uselessly against his thigh. "Damn."

She stepped out of the shower quickly, not looking directly at him. Shaking her head, she rubbed the water and oil off of her skin and handed Pike a clean towel. She didn't wait for him to dry off; she just headed for the bedroom. Pike toweled off and followed her.

"Number One?"

She was sitting on the bed, the covers pulled around her. The odd look was in her eyes again.

"You OK?" he asked, sitting on the bed beside her, the towel still wrapped around his hips. She nodded. "What's the matter?"

"Nothing, sir." Her brisk, efficient voice had a more chilling effect than the cold shower. "Perhaps we should call it a night. I'm certain Dr. Boyce is wondering--"

"Boyce knows exactly where I am." He cupped her chin in his hand. "What just happened? One minute we were about to make love and the next you're giving me the computer treatment."

"That's not funny." Catching herself, she smiled tightly. "We have a lot of work to catch up on tomorrow. We're going to need our rest."

The blush on her pale skin told him everything. "I get it. It's one thing to make love with an exotic painted lady, but when it's the real thing..."

"Maybe we should--"

"It's a lot more dangerous to make love to a friend, Number One." He kissed her gently. "It's also a lot more satisfying." He kissed her again, trailing his lips along her jaw. Her face was clean, devoid even of the light makeup she wore during working hours. Her hair was wet and dark, slicked back from her face. Somehow, to Pike, she looked even more exotic this way.

"This could cause problems, sir." She gasped as he nibbled on her ear. "We may have made a big mistake." Number One pulled away from him.

"Have we?" Pike looked at her head on, not allowing her to avert her gaze. "Do you think we've made a mistake, Number One?"

"No," she admitted.

She was clutching the sheet around her; Pike placed his hands above hers. "Maybe the biggest mistake we've made was waiting this long."

She shook her head. "No, sir." Her eyes pierced through him, suddenly earnest. "We were always exactly what the other...needed. You needed an efficient first officer; I needed a captain who would..." she smiled shyly, "never let me forget that I was an officer."

"You're also a woman."

She grinned up at him crookedly. "Well, I never had much trouble remembering that, sir."

"I..." Pike sighed. "I don't want to know about it."

"You never struck me as the jealous type, sir."

"You never gave me any reason to be jealous." He slowly removed the sheet from her fingers. "You were the perfect exec." He pulled her to him, placing a gentle kiss on her lips.

"Thank you, sir. You were an inspired leader." She stroked her hand down his chest as her tongue flicked its way into his mouth. As she touched his flaccid penis, he groaned. "Captain, I believe photon torpedoes have been disabled."

"Huh?" Pike rolled his eyes, groaning again. "Well, Number One, what do you think this is, a training cruise? Take appropriate action."

She laughed, all tension dissipating from the room, and pushed him down onto the bed. "Preparing to arm photon torpedoes, sir." She kissed his belly, snapping the towel from around his waist.

"At your discretion, Commander." He yelped as she took the head of his cock in her mouth. Kneeling on the bed, she repositioned herself until her bottom was directly above Pike's mouth. The captain fondled and kissed her as she continued to work his cock, pumping and sucking until he had another raging erection. Pike felt the oncoming orgasm and pulled Number One off of him. "Fire only upon orders, Commander," he scolded, sitting up, and led her around to face him.

"Target is ready, sir, and within range." She kissed him hard, straddling his legs and thrusting her pelvis against him.

His taste on her lips was intoxicating, and Pike knew he wouldn't last much longer. "Fire when ready, Number One," he whispered.

Kneeling against him, she positioned the head of his cock against her slick opening and, lifting herself slightly, plunged down onto him. The force knocked them off balance onto the bed, but neither missed a stroke. They pounded together, their skin shining with perspiration. Number One tightened in orgasm, her head tossing back in rapture. The tightness around his cock sent Pike into his own release, and they collapsed together in a shivering mass of flesh.

<--->

"You asleep?" Pike stroked the damp curls from Number One's forehead.

"Not any more," she mumbled into his chest.

"It's almost dawn. I'd better be going."

Number One lifted her heavy head. "You've already stayed this long. What's one or two more hours?"

He looked into her sleepy face carefully. "Aren't you worried about what people might think? What if it got out among the crew?"

Stretching in his embrace, she said, "Give them some credit. They can't think that just because we're officers, we're celibate."

"No, of course not." He smiled, remembering his own misconceptions on that very subject. "But wouldn't you find it embarrassing if someone--"

"I don't regret this. Like I said before, we are what we need each other to be. And tonight, we needed to be lovers. I'm not ashamed of that."

"Good." He held her closely, truly pleased with her response. "You know that woman tonight, the one I made love to--she was wild and exotic and desirable. She had every person in the room completely in her power. That quality, that ability to command people's attention, will help you as a captain."

She yawned. "So you think I should dispense with my uniform altogether and just wear paint on the bridge."

"Number One, you didn't paint that woman on tonight. She's you--the paint just helped bring her out." He stroked her tangled brown hair, noticing for the first time the delicate silver strands mixed in. "To be honest, I was never certain you had that certain spark which distinguishes a captain from a first officer. You need to command attention; when the ship is in trouble, every person aboard has to know exactly who's in charge. That person has got to be you, not some wild woman you put on with a paintbrush. It's one thing to have it behind a mask. But you have to believe in yourself once you take the mask off."

She looked up at him for a long moment, her eyes locking with his. "That was very inspiring." A teasing smile curled her lips.

"Are you going to be serious or not?"

"Serious?" She laughed, half in amusement, half in disbelief. "For ten years I'm called a computer, and now he tells me to be serious! Don't you worry about me, Captain." Fully awake now, she pulled him to her. "The walking computer will do just fine."

As the sheet fell from her slim form, Pike grinned. If she thought he could get an erection after everything they'd done that night, Number One was in for a big... She licked his ear, and the blood began rushing between his legs once more. Amazing! "Computer, my ass."

THE END