Thomas William King FOSTER
and Sarah Jane
Sarah acted as midwife to the settlers prior to a doctor
arriving in the settlement. She kept a Register of Births
from 1874 to
1903 which is now in the safe keeping of the FieldingLibrary.
Mr David McEWEN who
had been a settler in the Hutt & for some time
a member of the Provincial Council, had a section in the Karere
District and cleared a section between Oroua & Papaioea. In 1868 he took census of the entire white
population of the area of Manawatu:-WD ROWLAND; M HAMILTON: R REARDON; E REARDON; M CULLIN; G MENDS; LG WEST; H WEST; D MONRAD; John MUNRO; J SLY: P STEWART; W WATSON; GT McEWAN; D McEWAN; H McEWAN; T McEWAN; A
McEWAN; G BRENNER;
J MARSHALL; R STANLEY. and of
Awapuni:- P MARSHALL.
and of Ngawhakarau:- H EASTMAN. and of
Fitzherbert:- H ENGELS; C SHUTE; A COBOROUGH.
of Rangitikei Line:-
R ROSS. and of Te Matai:- JT DALRYMPLE. and Ruakawa:- G RICHARD(snr); W WAUGH; A GRAMMER; W CUMMINGS.
Tokomaru parents who helped fell bush to
build the school in 1887 included A & T MILLER, G & J ROW, A JUDD,
H THOMPSON, E WILTON, A JAMIESON, O REICHEL.
Feilding; Awahuri Hotel proprietor was
C.W. SHULTZE, further on towards the
township of Feilding is the home of Mr James WHISKER and John HUGHEY. ADSETT's mill near Colyton produced
many of the sleepers for the railway. John & Peter BARTHOLEMEW were also sawmillers in the
area, as was Walter and William BAILEY. In 1892 the DWANN Brothers proposed a Gas Works be
established in Feilding. 1893 Mr H BASTINGS opened the Manchester Hotel.
Feilding Hospital opened in the early 1900's under Miss BROWN and Later Sister CHALMERS took charge. Tenders recived by
the Council to cut flax came from P & J BATTOLEMEW; HANSON
& Son; W.W. CORPE;
GICHARD, NEWMAN, CALDWELL & Coy; The nightman was C.J. WICKAM and he was paid 6d per bucket.
W TRIMBLE donated many trees and plants
for the newly formed Manchester square.
1870's - Mr R.N. KEELING came fromMarton to take charge of the new
school that opened 1-4-1872 with 8 pupils. Inspector was
Mr Robert LEE. Two shops on the square, both
run as General stores were kept by SNELSON & PHILLIPS. RICHTER, NANNSTAND & JENSENS & MANSON &
at Terrace End.
Yesterday a young man
names HAGGET employed by Messrs LETHBRIDGE and DOWNES on
their station near Feilding was unfortunate enough to wound
himself severely in the right foot. He was splitting up a
log when the axe slipped and cut deeply into the instep.
He was brought down to Dr JOHNSTON. A
Mr BATTERBEE, brother-in-law of Mr BAUCKHAM, of Makino Road, met with a
nasty accident this morning while working in the bush. A
sharp tawa stake ran deeply into his left hand between
the thumb and forefinger. On Tuesday a man named Fred TUCKEY, working at Messrs BARTHOLEMEW's mill, had his left leg
severely bruised by a log rolling on it. At Awahuri in Feilding a son of Mr M,K, SAMUELS fell off the stockyard fence
and broke his collarbone. Edgar the three year old child
of Mr PALMER, (who was manager of Mr BULL's sawmill) was found drowned in the creek near
the mill. A bullock driver named PAWSON, employed by Mr ADSETT of Manchester sawmill, was
gored by a bullock. He sustained a terrible gash, about
six inches in length to his arm. He was atended by Dr LIGHTBOURNE.
Some of the men
responsible for the labour in levelling the Weraroa
Domain, Levin in 1914, were; Fred CHAMBERS; Fred FERRIS; Jim TYSON; Jim ANDREWS;
George WIDOWS & Ike HOOK.
1860's - Robert MENZIES had the saleyards on Rangikitei
NorthThere was a pub opposite the Railway station run
by host STANLEY who had to close the doors due
to lack of clientele. (Mostly due to the high price of
grog.) The pub was reopened by Mr Edward COLE. Mr Charles WALDEGRAVE(snr) bought the store from Mr SNELSON which he removed to the corner
of the Square & Rangitikei Street. Major WILLIS of the 14th Regt was appointed
to administer justice in the Rangitikei & Manawatu.
William JENKINS kept a bush-licence
accomodation house at Te Uruhi, near Waikanae
Henry F EAGER, all purpose scribe and clerk of
Te Horo and Otaki boards.
Neville WARD was Otaki's only
PEPPER ran the Otaki Saddlery Establishment,opposite
the Thomas Hotel. A KNOCKS
ran a coachline
In 1878 John KEBBELL married 19 year old Mary RAY of Sydney, sister to Mrs Frances ROBINSON of Foxton.
1887 E SHERRATT was the first inspector of
nuisances to the Horowhenua
MATTHEW lived on
the Mangaone Road. C.A. CLIMIE was
hired to work for the Te Horo Board
1867 William LANGLEY had the Manawatu Ferry Hotel at
the river mouth.
Captain DANIELL took up a block of land, a part of which is now
the township of Bulls. This estate was bound by Quarantine Rd,
the river (Rangitikei) at FLOWER's mill to the
Tutaenui Stream, and Manuka Bush- where Dr CURLE lived
for many years and the river flats, which were called by
the HAMMONDs when the bought the property 'LowerHolm'.
Tom WILSON had the Waikanae Hotel. Mrs
L.H. BURR, the Adelaide Hotel in Foxton.
H.A. FIELD, MP for Otaki1896-9,
sheepfarmer, licencee of the Ferry Hotel Waikanae in 1879, brother was Wiliam
Sawmills in the 1890's; LEE, WRIGHT & CARTER's at Kereru, later taken over by the PROUSE brothers; W LAURENCE and WHILEY at Ohau; GARDINER at Manakau and the COLLIER and ANDREWS mill. Norman CAMPBELL owned a series of mills in theWaikanaedistrict. Jack
SMITH was a young Levin millhand who found work with
the County Council.
Alfred MONK earned 7s 6d per chain to clear a track from
crossroads to the
domain in the 1890's. Mrs WISE kepr
an accomodation house nearby and Tom PUDNEY was a neighbor. Mr ALPIN managed the Game farm in
1900's, Ben MANTEL was a school caretaker, street
lamplighter and author of operas. Mr MAFFLEY & Mr KIRK were small block holders.
Mr A HALL held the contract
in 1884 to 1886 as coach contractor, Wellington to Foxton,
carrying mail. J PROSSER carried mail for a time in 1885
for Wellington Paekakariki
line. 1907 mail contractors included GE TAYLOR, Norman CAMPBELL, Mrs Janet KENNEDY, BECKER & ROLAND, John
Paraparaumu Officers in Charge of Mail were 1888, F. CORDUKs;
1890 W WISE; 1892 M ANDERSON; 1893 F BAILEY; 1904 WCR GARDINER; 1904 W ALEXANDER; 1910 WCR GARDINER; 1910 FP WALKLEY; 1915 TP DUNNE.
proprietor of the Clarendon Hotel was Mr J. OWEN and of the Princess Hotel in
Terrace End was Mr W
DEARDS. Mrs MERRITT advertised a school in the
'Square' for pupils aged 5 to 14.Johan JACOBSON advertised to recruit sawyers
1885, Feilding A.R. CURTIS, printer; JT BRAY, contractor; LA CALDWELL, sawmiller; Richard BOWLER, brickmaker,James BEATTIE, accountant,; David CRAIG, telegraphist; James CAMPION, stationmaster; Jens JENSEN, blacksmith; David E NATHAN, draper; Michael KEEN, shoemaker; and farmers Robert MENZIE & Roger B FEARON.: In the Makino district of Feilding, settlers then included John BELK, John DAVIS, Peter ABEL, William BLY & Arthur BAUCKHAM:
Halcombe district; J
Johann JOHNSKI, carter; Johann HORN; Lauritz
ESBENSEN; Thomas FOOT; AJ DOWDEN, carpenter; Charles CLEAVER firewood dealer; William BURCHER; James FANTHROPE
A.K. DREW was appointed Manawatu County
Clerk in 1907, with G HICKFORD as
engineer and F
ANDERSON as tram
Karere1885, nearFoxton had farmers Matthew VOSS, Murdock MATHESON, & Edward CASEY. Amongst others were also
Joachim BURMEISTER, Hans CALLISEN, Thomas CHAMBERLAIN, John WINGATE, Viggo MONRAD, John MUNRO, James RIMOND, Mrs J RANDOLPH, Alfred TANNER, George WEEKS & Robert WHITEY.
hosted the coasts
first known Police constable, Maurice ROACHE number 378. (an American)
Before moving toPalmerston-Feilding district, Father MOREAU, a French priest used to walk
from Otaki along the coast, accross swamps and riivers to
hold monthly services in Palmerston North.
There was a railway
crossing on Main Street near NEES mill.
J.T. DALRYMPLE was chairman of the Cemetery
Palmerston North Police
Commissioner for 1903 was Mr DINNIE. Mr
DAHL had an oil factory
Makino (Feilding) 1892 - wheelwright was John BELK; the schoolmaster was Joseph GUYELLE and the RATCLIFF Brothers were the storekeepers.
W.W. CORP had sawmills, & John &
Anio HUBNER were builders.
1890 Jimmy O'Hara was sawyer, then storekeeper in
Palmerston North, Mr PHILLIPS
had a drapery store
Applicants for the job of
nightwatchman of Palmerston
'Square' perimeter business policing were; Messrs THOMPSON, PEARCE, LAURENSON & MOFFATT. Mr THOMPSON
won the ballot and kept the job for almost 30 years.
W.B. MACINTOSH, Levin coach and carriage builder in
1905 employed, Charles WELBY
(apprentice painter aged 13), Mr W. ALLOWAY (coachbuilder), Mr W WILTON (journeyman-painter), Mr A BROWN (Blacksmiths striker), & Mr
W. BILDERBECK (blacksmith)
Mr G.A. PREECE was District Land Registrar in
1867 saw the settling of
people in the Papaioea Clearing, including Ditlev
Gothard MONRAD, a Premier of Denmark and a
Herr Max HOPPE was appointed conductor of theOtaki Musical Society in 1902. The Otaki branch of the Bank of Australia
opened in 1892 with E.T. COSTELLO
as agent/manager. The cemetery was consecrated 2nd May
1898 by Bishop WALLIS. The first Newspaper was
published in 1892 by a Mr BLAKEMORE
. The manager of the paper was a Mr MILLER & the printer was one
'Spider' WEBB. J.J. BOOTH & J.W. MILLER were storekeepers in the 1890's
in Rangiruru Road. MILLER also had a flaxmill,
Thomas SCOTT was a very early Ferry operator
at the mouth of the Rangitikei River and the area is thus
now named Scotts
Scott died in 1892 and James BROMLEY
took over running the ferry service under the direction
of Mrs SCOTT. In 1893 she sold her shares to
Percy E. DANIELL.
Lower Manawatu Gorge
ferryman was George BOYD
who in 1863
received an official warning for 'intoxication'. Witness
to this was a coachman named JONES.
Another ferryman was John HARMS
who's lease was cancelled. Foxton
ferrymen included John HILARY in
1882. Ohau ferryman was Mr Thomas ROACH for 5 years. Otaki had Mr UDY.
W BOLANDS and two of the HATHAWAY's were swept down the
Rangitikei River around Bulls area during a large flood in
1897, as was
and a few other houses. SMITHs
house was turned around by the floodwaters and eventually
hauled further up towards town.
The Rangitikei Advocate
newspaper was published by Mr KIRKBRIDE at Marton, who, joined
forced with JP LEARY and Mr BOND, to supply the need for a bi-weekly paper inPalmerston
first copy of the Manawatu Daily Times came out on 23
Among the first
advertisers in the 'Times' were E & WH BRIGHTWELL, J O'MARA, S ABRAHAMS, W DEARDS & T NELSON (storekeepers); CRS McDONNELL (Palmerston Hotel), Mrs ATKINSON (Clarendon Hotel), and JE GILBERT (Royal Hotel); J MORRIS and Edwin SAUNDERS (bootmakers); Thos MOFFATT and John TAYLOR (butchers); J MILVERTON, NASH & DAVIES (painters and paperhangers); MEYRICK, PERRIN & OAKLEY (builders); H FISHER
& J POLLOCK (bakers) TE MERRITT(turner & woodcarver); Chas TRICKLEBANK (bricklayer), R MACKIE (lime merchant) Jas LINTON (land and commission agent) Mrs
MERRITT (private school) RICHTER, NANSTEAD & Co. flourmillers) WH MALCOLM (saddler), WOOLCOCK and HOSKING
(millner)......There were also a number ofFoxton advertisments, including, WJ PORT, David HUGHEY, A WAKEFORD, Alex
GRAY, WJ & F LOUDON, AS EASTON,
JW LIDDELL & ES THYNNE.
The first editor of the
'Times' was Mr CJ POWNALL.
In 1890 Mr
ALEXANDER McMINN published the first issue of the
'The Manawatu Daily Standard', the first copy being
presented to Mr Sylvester COLEMAN
and former borough councillor.
Thomas DODDS built a flour mill
process wheat grown by Maori farmers. In 1892 George BOWKER ran
a store, so did Frederick H COCKERELL. William DODDS made
rope & George
McBEATH ran the Family Hotel. Carl
G.T. BRANTING was a surgeon.
The Billiard Saloon in Foxton 1883 was run by J BIRCHLEY; The Bank of
Austalia was managed by E.G. COX; B DAWSON was
the stationmaster; J GANNAWAY the postmaster
and telegraphist; C HONORE
the storekeeper C.H. McLEAN managed
the Bank Of NZ; The RUSSELL Brothers were proprietors of the 'Herald'; H STEPHEN
was the enginedriver & A.J. WHYTE
founded Whytes Hotel
Bulls Bank of New Zealand Managers, JC HANNA
1877; RS ABRAHAM 1880;