William GILL was toll gate collector at Kaiwharawhara in 1864 and a Mrs MADIGAN in 1892
Petone 1892; S.R. KENNEDY, acting Manager of Colonial Bank;G.A. CHAPMAN, manager of the fiddle string factory;William H. RANDERSON, manager of Trade Auxiliary Co; WG LODDER, marine engineer; Edmund P BUNNY, solicitor; Benj DAWSON railway manager; J. DON, Empire Hotel; JJ HOLLOW railway porter;
Wainuiomata 1866; J & D DICK, R SINCLAIR, R NEALE, W WAKEHAM, T CROWTHER, C COLLINS, G WOODS, B MICHAEL, R & W PROUSE, & J GRACE, most were farmers.
Wadestowns shop appeared in Hanover St. Bill WINTON ran it first.
Gertie & Kitty BERRY lived in Wilton. Annie & Maurice COMPTON-SMITH, lived in Khandallah where he practiced amateur Photography. As did S.P. & Kitty ANDREW. Ebenezer MAXWELLs reminicences tell of Wadestown with only 5 houses and a boarding school in the 1860's. George CLARK was a suburban pioneer of 1888. An Englishman, Joseph COVERDALE was relieved of his Hutt Road section at 200% profit to him and the enlargement of the Kaiwarra reserve and surrounds became the Ngatoto Reserve (Presently Nairnville Park) Joseph BODDINGTON sailed as a baby with his parents in 1842 - the first intermediate class passengers sent by the company. German colonist Charles CLIFFORD from Staffordshire,
stayed in NZ for 20 years establishing sheep stations.
Farmers son William GALPIN from Weymouth eloped with
the family maid and sailed in one of the first ships. Farming leasehold land in Cockayne Rd provided opportunity for John GELL from Hedon in Yorkshire during the 1840's slump.
Arthur & Sarah KILMISTER farmed some of the Otari Native Reserve bought from the Maoris in Porirua. Miss PAGE ran school in the Ngaio Anglican Church. John CHEW lived in Silverstream Rd & sold to KILMISTERS. Shearers Charlie DOBBIN from Newtown, Andy McFARLANE from the South Island, Henry McKELVIE from Karori and McPHADGEN, possibly from Australia, came to KILMISTERS after doing 'Terawhiti Station'. Sheep farmers included, BRYANTS Bros, COOK & WALLACE , HUME & McKELLAR, LIDDLE Bros in Johnsonville.
Elizabeth LOMAS, brought up on Otari farm (Now Chartwell) which her
father, blacksmith John WITTON ran as a dairy farm, had children Grace,
Tom, Nellie & Jim. John NEWTON's factory was capable of producing up to 12 tons of soap at a time. Burns AI, Perfection soap and St Mungo powder were sold nationwide until the 1960's.
Ann Maria & William BRAMLEY from Nottingham had a dairy farm.
Sandy McCALLUM worked for HIRSTs tannery.
Charles SCHULTZE owned a flourmill & Mill Cottage in Ngaio Gorge.
Wellington baker Fracis BEE buuilt a flourmill on Maori lease land.
Henry BARBER, son of a butcher began the original meatworks in Ngauranga c.1870. Alfred TYER, fellmonger exported the first experimental refrigerated cargo whichwere frozen in Wellington.
Billy MILLAR carted abattoir meat to the town butchers daily in his brake.
On the North side of the Gorge Rd (Ngauranga), James FUTTER built cottages for the work force, lured by the meat trade. Rents were high so Johann &Angelina LARSEN took in boarders. JC GARDNER, butcher, Kaiwarra .Bonnie HODGES worked at HIRSTs tannery about 1890, the whole family caught Typhoid & only Annie McCALLUM would visit them.
Tanner John HOLMES first wife Henrietta,(c.1876) emigrated as a governess. She died, tripping while pregnant on the uneven stone slabs of her kitchen floor.
Mrs THORBY, privately tutored, in 1870's Annie CHEW & Jessie NAIRN.
Thomas MORGAN and Charles COLLIS, freeholded sections in Kim Street,
Khandallah. As did Edward BATTERSBEE.
CTH BROWN, son of a Capt in Royal Engineers, from Kent was first to build in Khandallah and had 4 daughters, Gwynne, Jean, Nesta & Freda.
Khandallah Tennis Club teenagers in 1910, Aggie & Marion INGLIS, Sadie &
Olive RICHARDSON, Emma LEVESTAM, Mona DUMBELL, Lou ROUNTHWAITE, Alex FERGUS & Leslie LEONARD.
Charles AUSTEN operated as first postmaster in Johnsonville in 1870s.
Ben REEVE had a wood wagon pulled by 7 imported Clydesdales.
1890's shopkeepers included, BURNE, RIDDICK, COOK, BAKER & ANGELL. John ROD had a slaughterhouse & buchery.
Mrs CLARKE & John WHEELER each ran privte schoolsin Johnsonville, charging from 4d to 1/- per day.
Sarah & Alfred MILDENHALL, Vogel immigrants, bought a house in Burgess Rd Johnsonville in1878.
Alice NOTT, daau of early Methdist settler in Johnsonville, was Ohariu
teacher from 1878 till 1884. Johnsonville school hall was built by SKINNER
& WACKROW in 1906.
Harriet SPICER married James FIELD. Carl WACKROW, son of timber miller, married Anne, grand-daughter of George Mexted. Josephine BASSETT married William BRYANT.
Charles CLIFFORD, commission agent, Captain on Onslow's defences.Was Commander of the Porirua Road stockade in 1846.
Mr J HURLEY notified the Almanac for 1853 that
he had timber for sale and asked that his customers apply
at the sawmills (Porirua Road) or to his bullock driver
he was on the beach with timber.
Wilkinson Street, Oriental Bay is names after Mr D WILKINSON who was the proprietor of Wilkinsons Tea Gardens in the area.
Wordsworth Street, Wellington Mr J Fitchett, smithy and wheelwright established a business here in the 1860's
Newtown, is named after Mr MOODIE's Hotel which in the begining was built in the country towards Kilbirnie.
Te Aro Flat; the Star Inn, the Meat Company, a billiard room & Edward TAYLOR had a store. FULLER's Hotel, the Theatre, WAITT, TYSER, FITZHERBERT, RIDGWAY, GUYTON & HICKSON all had stores
1866 residents of Wainuiomata (14 miles viaHutt road);J & D DICK, R SINCLAIR, R NEALE,W WAKEHAM, T CROWTHER, C COLLINS,G WOODS, B MICHAEL, R & W PROUSE,& J GRACE. The majority were farmers.
HURLEY, LOWNDES, PARRY & TORR were Ngaio sawyers. Francis SKIPWITH was a Khandallah sheepfarmer.
The Britannia Saloon advertised "A Mr Sutherland's Night"for Tuesday evening 12th Oct. 1847. A Scottish drama in three acts, called 'Red Ronald The Rover" was to be performed by the following artists:- Wandering Stevenel, Mr SUTHERLAND; Red Ronald, Mr MARRIOTT; Lawrette,Mrs AMA; song, "Ye banks and Braes," Miss COLEMAN; :"Highland Shepherds Dancing." Mr & Mrs GRIMALDI; and "Queer Sayings," Mr GREEN; "Scots wha hae," Mr MARRIOTT in character; hornpipe by a gentleman; and the whole to conclude with a farce, "The Middy Ashore or Sprees On Land."
A meeting was
held in the Provincial Hall on Monday 24 July 1876 for
the purpose of devising means to perpetuate the memory of
Dr FEATHERSTON. The mayor Wm HUTCHISON, presided and a comittee was formed
comprising Messrs. DRANSFIELD,
DUNCAN, WOODWARD, BULLER, LEVY, G HUNTER, G ALLEN, EW MILLS, LEVIN, SEED, DE BATHE BRANDON, BUCKLEY, DR GRACE, and the Mayor.
<Evening Post 25 July 1876>
Charles REEVE, former whaler, Charles HOBBS, former British Legion soldier settled in Johnsonville, as did Alfred and Sarah MILDENHALL who originated in Oxfordshire, and emmigrated to Blenheim before coming to Johnsonville. Stationmaster at Johnsonville in 1910 was RKG HARDIE.
Joseph WHITE & Samuel RETTER each purchased a one acre section in Wadestown and paid in installments. George MEXTED had 10 acres in Johnsonville, James SIM 9 acres. Thomas MORGAN 10 acres in Khandallah & Nathaniel BARTLETT 8 acres in Khandallah.
The NZ Journal
dated 28 Sep 1844;"a duel was fought at Wellington between
Mr W.V. BREWER, barrister, and Mr ROSS, solicitor. Mr BREWER fired in the air but received Mr ROSS's ball in the groin, from which wound he died in a few days afterwards. Mr ROSS's second was Major DURIE, and Mr(Dr) DORSET the surgeon in attendance. The cause arose from a government source, these people are sure to be at the bottom of any mischief."
Wellington, Mrs HILL of Kent Terrace made Straw Hats and bonnets. Mrs MACDONALD of Willis street was listed as a surgical belt maker.
Joseph BODDINGTON (arr as baby in 1852); Samuel BREES; Richard HAMMOND, farmer; James PETHERICK, builder from Cornwall; John GELL from Hedon in Yorkshire; William GALPIN from Weymouth; William FOX from Durham, lawyer; Captain Edward DANIELL; Thomas FITZGERALD; Charles and Sarah HOBBS;James NAIRN who married Louisa CHAPMAN; Robert BOULD; were all assisted migrants who formed a large part in the colonisation of Wellingtons northern suburbs that comprise the district of Onslow (Johnsonville, Khandallah, Ngaio, Crofton, Kaiwharawhara etc.)
In 1882 Paremata consisted of mainly fishermen; BARBERER; BERETTEY; GESTRA; LAMA; LAMBERT; Andrew PARRIS; John VELLA & Marino VELLO
James BENGE, the sawmiller, moved from Taita because of flooding and started
miling in Mangaroa, his sons, John, David,
Samuel and Edward, who became district farmers, The
record lists James DUFF CRUIKSHANKS who began sawmilling in 1852 and
Charles CUDBY, a builder who began milling
in 1863. Other trades and busineses of the day were
represented by P.A. WILKIE, baker and general storekeeper
(no date), the WHITEMAN brothers, and Richard GEANGE who 1885 settled in 1885.
Educationally a new era was probably ushered in with the
coming in March of Mr CONNELL as head teacher. Starting
with 126 pupils he remained for 32 years. A tremendous
W FAWCETT ran sheep on Kumuhore gardens JENKINS and RHODES leased land at Ohariu and later this land was purchased by farmer James BARNES. Augustus BRAITHWAITE, dairyman James HALL, and Thomas HAWKINGS, farmed cleared land along the Hutt Road. Frances BEE, a baker built a mill in 1850. William WALLACE established the White Horse Inn at Ngauranga; John CLAPHAM had the Ngauranga Inn close by; John ASHMORE, tenant; Alfred TYER; Henry BARBER (son of a butcher in London) ; BRYANT Bros; STEBBINGS; BOULD; BRODERICK; FUTTER were also Ngauranga identities in the 1850's. BARBER's brand of tinned meat was exported and sold in London. Alfred TYER made the first refrigerated exported meat cargo from Wellington.
Samuel WOODWARD, J HOOPER, Christopher APLIN, NAIRN & CASEY, McKELLAR; KILMISTER; all were Onslow farmers; HURLEY, timber merchant; Blacksmith John WITTON who lived at 116 Wilton Rd. He had bough 100 odd acres from Samuel MAXTON, a baker from Wellington. The WITTON's had at least 2 children, Elizabeth (who married a LOMAS) and Christina.
Robert BOULD, a shoemaker who originated in Burslem, Staffordshire, had a farmhouse he named 'Daisy Hill' , built around the 1860's in Johnsonville. Sarah BEST, ex of London, made and sold butter.
James BRYANT from Cornwall worked as a gardener, carrier, hotelkeeper before mortgaging everything he owned to buy 3 acres in Ohariu, and with his sons worked hard to log & fell & develop thefarm. By 1914 the BRYANT brothers had the biggest sheep farm in the district. Charles POWELL & Lance BRYANT were Ohariu farmworkers. Reg BEST had a four horse plough team.
William & Ann Maria BRAMLEY, from Nottingham were curators of the Wellington.......Botanical Gardens. Their sons were farmers in the Onslow district.
The first 10 subdivided sections in Stokes Valley (crown grants) 18 Jan 1853 went to H UDY, JE WAINHOUSE, SA SHORT, GT POLLARD, J CAW,Helen SPEEDY, H RINTOUL, G HART, & RH WOOD (2 sections)
Charles PHARAZYN, formerly a worker for Lloyds of London, bought 5 acres in Wadestown in the 1840's, he built a house on it and later sold to Samuel GRIMSTONE, then Euphemia MAXWELL altered it and used it as a school. Early Wadestown inhabitants include, TS ROSCOE, WR MORRIS, blacksmith Duncan FRASER, Robert PARK, shipmates Joseph WHITE & Samuel RETTER, & Samuel WOODWARD, who's wife Rose had a street named after her. Bill WILTON ran the local shop in Hanover Street. Photographer WHW DAVIS & wife Eliza, Mr BROOKS, Emily WOODWARD, daughter of Samuel.
1883 in Ohariu has Thomas BASSETT as farmer and postmaster. Walter BLIZZARD as saw-mill owner, Miss Alice E. NOTT as schoolmistress and Henry WISHAW as sawmill owner.
Trentham 1892; Richard 7 William GEANGE, farmers; Miss MALONEY Railway Hotel; Henry SARGEANT, gardener; Stewart MENZIES, cooper:
In 1902 Mr Henry TOBIN opened Stokes Valleys first Post Office at his home situated at the corner of Main Rd & Milford Rd. From 1908 until 1914 Mr T DELANEY conducted a Post Office. This in turn was followed by a rural delivery thrice weekly from Upper Hutt. It tended to be a late night affair and not popular.
Wellington; On Monday August 2nd 1858, the
romantic and musical Scotch Drama in three acts, entitled
"Rob Roy" or : AuldLang Syne" with all the
original music was advertised to'
take place at the Royal Lyceum Theatre: The performers were;Misses Clara SEYMORE, Leslie BURNS, THOMPSON, Julia CLIFFORD, MURRAY & DALLEY, & Messrs BROWN, DEVIZE, J MINIFIE, MORTON, CLEMENTS, OWEN, T MINIFIE,JH MARRIOTT, SUTHERLAND, BRUTON, MURRAY, JONES & THOMAS.Miss LESLIE and Mr MANUEL were to dance the celebrated Pas de Deux entitled "la Varsovienne."
Tawa Flat 1892; Andrew EVERISS, teacher; William WILLIAMSON, butcher; Charles DUNCAN, nurseryman; William BENSON, shipwright;
Jim CABLE (son of William of Scotland) built a founry in Kaiwharawhara in 1910. Messrs CLIFFORD & VAVASOURs sections wereM half a mile beyond Captain DANIELLs farm on the Porirua Rd
At the corner of Herbert & Manners St is a chemist shop,the original, octagonal in form and so tiny as to be called 'The Pill Box' was built by C D BARRAUD as a branch of his main business in Thorndon. Mr BARRAUD sold 'The Pill Box' to his assitant Mr A.H. ORVEN and after changing hands to Mr FOSTER and later to Mr PRICHARD, it was bought in 1876 by H BRITTAIN, an arrival from Birmingham, via Auckland, who in addition to his professional qualifications was an expert organist. At present the "Te Aro Dispensary" as the business has long been called, is under the direction of AJ BRITTAIN assisted by CH BRITTAIN III. Yet another chemist shop at the corner of Willis & Manners Sts gives its name to Perretts Corner, after C H PERRETT who purchased the premised is 1912. Mr PERRETT Snr. had come from Bath, retired to Wanganui & died in 1917.
Helen Francis (Nel) HOWE, resident of Berampore and later of Harstone Hall,