Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Masterton & other Wairarapa Districts


Businesses: Masterton - James WRIGLEY, shoemaker: Mr A COPPINS sold ladieswear: Walter PERRY & ET &S Chamberlain were butchers: Thomas THOMPSON a barber also sold basketware, slates, dolls & cribbage boards: James THOMPSON had a baker shop: George DIXON &William GREATHEAD were blacksmiths; Robeert DONALD, William ALEXANDER & RB MITCHELL, builders: Duncan McGREGOR a sawmiller: SE GAPPER a farmer and miller::

Coach Services - Masterton - 1866: Performed by Messrs HASTWELL, SKIPPER, WALKER & RAY: The fist Cobb coach from Wellington to Masterton was taken by J FORRESTER: Other bullock coach drivers were; Job VILE; D DONALD; AW CAVE: Charles WHITE; Charles CUNDY; Walter HODDER;

Early Settlers - Masterton - Michael DIXON; John COLE; E CHEW; James WRIGLEY; EF EATON; Richard IRONS; Henry JONES;

Fire Brigade; (Masterton Municipal) 1900; H WENHAM (messenger): W WARNER; WELLS; A GORDON: W NORMAN: E (Ted) BRAGGINS: H (Bert) PICKERING: N WARNER: AH (Alick) PICKERING: E MERCER: HE (Bert) GARDNER: E (cook) JENKINS: R CHURCH: T JENKINS (Supt): C EWINGTON: F MATTHEWS: EM McEWAN: J BERRY: H EWINGTON: T McCULLOCH;

First Wedding, (Masterton) 1st August 1856 when Emma, daughter of Michael DIXON married William ADAMS. The ceremony was performed by Rev. TB HUTTON of the Hutt Valley:

Highway Board Wardens Masterton -1871: J RUTHERFORD: Val SMITH: WL DORSET: BP PERRY: William BEETHAM: H MCMASTER: Edwin MEREDITH;

Hotels: Thomas RAY, became proprietor of Terawhiti Hotel: The Railway Hotel licencee was Sir George GREY & later a Mr BRAGGINS; Licencee for the Club Hotel was Henry BANNISTER;

Medical; Masterton - Miss LYONS was matron of the newly opened Hospital in 1879 but before the year ended Mr & Mrs J BULPITT were appointed Custodian & Matron. May 1888 Mr & Mrs John WILLIAMS took over. (mr WILLIAMS previous qualifications were, gas-fitter & schoolmaster); Dr W HOSKING served as house surgeon in 1879 & hospital trustees included William SELLAR & JC BODDINGTON;

Militia. -Masterton- Approx 1866; Captain Walter PERRY: R RENALL: Buglar BENTLEY: Michael DIXON; David DIXON; James WRIGLEY; GC BENNINGTON; J McGREGOR; G DIXON: W DAY; Edwin FEIST: L McGREGOR: C BENNINGTON; H COLE: TANKERSLEY: ANKATELL: MUNRO; MATTHEWS; L EVANS: CHAMBERLAIN: Richard WOODHAM: CRAYNE; R HARE; TAVERNER; M McKENZIE; J VALENTINE; SMITH; W WOODROOFE;

Newspapers: ROCKEL & FAWCETT proprietors of the 'Wairarapa Register', a newspaper that existed only 3 months: In 1878 Joseph PAYTON and WF ROYDHOUSE bought the "Free Press' and changed the name to the 'Wairarapa Daily'

Petition Signatories; Masterton A petition was signed by all settlers, bar 4, which succeeded in postponing for 3 years the erection of a public pound to curb owners of tresspasing stock; RENALL, BENTLEY, BANNISTER, EVANS KIBBLEWHITE, BENNINGTON, MCKENZIE, HUNT, CHAMBERLAIN x 2, HARE, DAY, CRAYNE, WALTON, DAVY, PRENTICE, TAVERNER, JONES, MATTHEWS, ADAMS, MACKENZIE, DIXON, GREATHEAD, WOODROOFE, ALLEN, WOODHAM, COLE:

Police; Masterton - Constable J DONNELLY was appointed in 1870: A MCKENZIE in 1875 then Sargents MCARDLE in 1877 & PRICE in 1885;

Postal Workers: Masterton - Mrs MOLES in Greytown: Mrs IRONS (Later Mrs Bannister): Charles CUNDY from June 1856 carried mail: WR HASTWELL also carried mail:

Provincial Sheep Returns - Masterton 1861; names include, BP PERRY 650 sheep: W DORSET 200 sheep: TW TANKERSLEY 800 sheep: E CHAMBERLAIN 200 sheep: R KIBBLWHITE 80 sheep: Joseph MASTERS 150 sheep:

Rimutaka Road: 10 June 1856, Thomas KEMPTON Jnr. too the first dray load of goods over the roughly finished Rimutaka Hill Road.

School:(Masterton) 1857 Holmes CRAYNE first school teacher; First committee, Messrs DIXON, H BENTLEY, EATON, J COLE, RD DAGG, WOODROOFE & CRAYNE.

Small Farms Committee - Masterton(original members) 1850's; Messrs William ALLEN; Joseph MASTERS; CR CARTER; AW RENALL; HH JACKSON;


PAGE INDEX