Here are some of the groups and organisations, that were around early in the life of the settlements. Dates and names have been included where available.
AUTOMOBILE CLUB established in 1905. the first president was Hon T.W. Hislop and the first secretary Mr C.M. Banks. The president for 1928 is Sir Joseph Ward and the secretary Mr J.H. Stott.
AMATEUR ATHLETIC CLUB 1889, Boating (Star) 1865; Bowling (Newtown) 1893; Thorndon --, Wellington 1886; boxing champions 1926-27 G Evatt & A J Cleverly.
ART CLUB established 1892 promoted by Messrs J.M.Nairn; J.Ballie; W.L. Palmer; Dr Fell & others. In 1896 Mr JM Nairn was president and Mr MC smith, sec & treas.
BRITANNIA LODGE (ODDFELLOWS) 1848: J Chappel G.M., S Poulter N.G., FK Allen N.G., Jas Marriot sec., met at the Aurora Tavern: 1851 J Cail G.M., S Poulter N.G., Jas Rennington V.G., J Duck sec, met at the Nelson Tavern (Central Hotel) Lambton Quay: 1866 GT Bell sec.: 1896 G.E. Godber
BENEFIT SOCIETY (Union) the first meeting was held at Mr Allens house, Pito-one, in 1840.
BIBLE SOCIETY est 1852 Messrs J. May treasurer & J Costell secretary.
Founded in 1876. Mr Geo HUNTER was first President, andCW BENBOW
for over 16 years. Mr HC SKEET was sec in 1892.
NZ Chess Congress, 1894, comprised Mesrs J WOOD, OC PLEASANTS, HS COCKS, J EDWARDS, D HATHERLY, W MACKAY, HC SKEET, G PEARCE, H HOOKHAM, RJ BARNES, AA LELIEVRE, A FIFFORD, and W BARRAUD
COURT LADY GLASGOW LODGE Tory Street Wellington, Miss N. Aston, Sec 1897
FIRE POLICE: 1909 : Messrs; ROBINSON ; NEILSON ; ASHER ;BIGGS;TOLLEY ; SMITH ; ALEXANDER ; VON BERNEWITZ ;MILLS ; MADELEY ; RODGERS ; FLYGER ;Lieut KIRKLAND ; Lieut COHEN ; Lieut HILDRETH ;Capt WRIGHT ; Lieut BALLINGER ; Meech TANDY ;BRYANT ; RASH ; ADAIR ; MEYRICK.
FESTIVAL CHORAL SOCIETY officers in 1895 were Sir Jas Prengergast, pres. The Bishop of Wellington, Sir Robert Stout; WT Glasgow, vice pres; Messrs Robert Parker, conductor, TH Richey, sec.
FIRST KARORI CRICKET TEAM to win WCA title; won3rd grade championship in 1892-3; A.E WATERSON (Sec): E. GORMLEY: W LOWE:A .LANCASTER: F. LINGARD: W. DASENT: W. LOCKETT: G. EAGLE: Cuth. SPIERS: W.E PEARSON (capt): L. HILL: O. LEWER: C. DASENT: H. DRVDEN
FORWARD MOVEMENT SOCIETY Manners St. established in 1893. Rev. WA Evans, leader; Hon. Sir Robert Stout; Dr Findlay; Hon T.W. Hislop; and Mr A.R. Atkinson were amongst the lecturers.
An 1876 Wellington Football team selected to play against Nelson;CAMPBELL(2 ); FITZGERALD
BISHOP (2) JAMES; IRVINE; LYNCH; NIVEN; BOSCOWAN; THOMPSON:
FLAX INDUSTRY on 4th Jan 1841 a public meeting convened by Messrs. JC Crawford, WB Rhodes, Wm Guyton, E Daniell, D Scott & J Watt as held at Barrats Hotel to discuss the preparation of flax for exportation and to form a company.
GIRLS FRIENDLY SOCIETY formed 1883 by Lady Jervois; president, Mrs Fitzgerald; secretary Miss Ashcroft; treasurer, Mrs Tanner. 'For the Girl of Today'
GEOLOGICAL SOCIETY in 1847 Siir H J deLa Beche presided. a paper by Walter Mantell Esq. was presented.
FLORIST SOCIETY Horticultural
& Florist Society, est 1889:President Mr F H D BELL
M.H.R.: Sec, Chas CALLIS; Treas, JJ KERSLAKE
Ladies Committee: Mesdames FND BELL, A deB BRANDON, J BURNE, CASTENDYKE, EBERLE, FOCKE, HUDSON, CH IZARD, TK MACDONALD, CB MORRISON, J PROUSE, LG REID, R TRIGS, TRAVERS & Misses
PEARCE, and CREASE.
HIBERNIAN AUSTRALIAN CATHOLIC SOCIETY : 1897, Pres. Mr J HYLAND;Treas= M BOHAN; sec. WJ GRANT
JOURNALISTS INSTITUTE est 1891. Officers in 1885 for Wgton were Mr R.A Loughnan vice pres.; Hon Sir Robert Stout, counsel; F.W Weston, treas; Geo Humphries sec; In 1895, R.A Loughnan chairman, J Ilot, (J.P) treas. H.R Dix secretary.
KAPITI FREEMASON LODGE: names associated when it opened in 1923 were EATWELL; TRASK; FIELD; KIRK; HOWELL; POTTS & WATSON.
KHANDALLAH, ST BARNABAS CHURCH CHOIR; 1934; Phil & Edmund KELLY; John PLIMMER (donated the surplices), Kelvin GREEN; BM WILLIAMS (Choirmaster & organist); JF BURTON; Robert AHEARN: Colin PYNE; Peter RENAI; Maurice CROMPTON SMITH; Rev Edmund COWIE; Denis BURTON; Alan PYNE; Cliff POOLE; Bronson BARASS; Peter Renai;
KENNEL CLUB a preliminary meeting was held in Oct 1888 to promote dog shws in Wellington. The Club ws founded in 1889 and first show was in 1890. Officers for 1895 were Patron, his excellency the Earl of Glasgow; President Dr James; Vice's , Messrs. Cooper, Crawfors, Hunter, Izard, Moorehouse, Triggs, Williams & Dr Adams; Hon secretary & treasurer AWJ Cook; Judge J.W. Smyth (Melbourne)
KARORI RIFLE CLUB champion team on 1902: Henry HAWTHORNE; H HEAD; Alfred FRANCE; Heinrich BUCKENBERG; A GUISE; Edward RANDELL; George GAPES; Francis J LISSINGTON (Capt); WE JACKSON; Richard RENDELL; Johnny BURNS; G HALLIDAY.
LIEDERTAFEL originated from the male Glee Club, called the Orpheus, and founded in 1891. Mr Robert Parker, conductor, Mr J.H Cock, president; later presidents being Messrs GL Tolhurst and Edward Pearce. The first secretary was Mr R Hamilton.
MARINE ENGINEERS INSTITUTE- composed of sea going engineers.
The head office for NZ was at 10 Queen Chambers Wgton. In 1895,
Mr A KELLY: (pres.) and Mr A R HISLOP (sec)
founded in 1928. Officers were; Messrs.MJ FORDE (pres)
JH BARNETT (sec) FHC SMITH (treas) M HEYLAND, GA NICHOLS, J BRADY, J O'BRIEN, JJ MURRAY, J RYAN, D MCKENZIE, A CASSIE, JA SHAND, Mrs MJ MASLIN.
MARINE ENGINEERS INSTITUTE composed of sea going engineers. In 1895 the head office for NZ was at No 10 Queens Chambers, Wgton. Officers were Mr A. Kelly president; and Mr A.R Hislop secreatry.
MUSICAL UNION est 1895 Mr TC Webb conductor. Officers for 1896 were JG Chambers (Chair); SG Hammerton, sec & treas.
MUSICAL SOCIETY formes 1895. Mr Alfred Hill & Mr Maughan Barnett, joint conductors. Messrs R Angus JC Young and H Crammond (secretaries)
NZ PUBLIC SERVICE ASSN-Wgton was established in 1890. The Rev WJ HABENS,BA:
was president in 1895, Col. HUME and Messrs HW NORTHCROP,
HW BISHOP, CWS CHAMBERLAIN, vice presidents: Messrs H POLLEN,
treasurer; and F HARTMANN, secretary.
; 1866 Wgton - JH MARRIOT; T WALDEN; E BANNISTER;
River Hutt- Rose of the Valley: J PHILPOTS;
Rose of Sharon: RW PEARCE: Porirua, Jas McGRATH
ORANGE LODGE : officers 1895; J LINDSAY; J EDWARDS; G PETHERICK;H WHITE; G PURDIE: Mr W JANSON; GD BEHARRELL; Mr Jas EDWARDS; AM MELVILLE: MW THEW; Wm D HALL; Miss ROBERTS
ORPHEUS SOCIETY, Mr Len Barnes conductor (Mr Harrison Cook in 1929) Miss H Rowe accompanieste. Mr RV Robertson, hon sec.
ORPHANS CLUB est 1910 the first president being Dr Izard, sec Mr R Keenan, treas AG Batt and musical conductor Herbert Bloy.Exec for 1927, Carr, president or Chief Orphan; A Stanley Warwick, sec., J.H. McIlroy treasurer and H .Godier musical director.
OPERATIC SOCIETY est 1888. Officers in 1895 were Pres. Mr P Parfitt; J Duthie, Dr Collins, W Fergusson J Coates,(vice presidents); P Levi (stage manager & sec) AE Mabin (treasurer) WD Lyon (chairman of committee)
PICKWICK CLUB The
Pickwick Club, was the first club of its kind to beformed. It was
founded on 2 Oct 1840 at Barretts Hotel (Hotel Cecil site).
Rules were printed by Samuel REVANS. The entrance fee was fixed
at 25 pounds, with an annual sub
of 5 pounds. The trustees were; Messrs. WV BREWER: H. ST. HILL, JP: Wm GUYTON: Geo HUNTER JP was treasurer; Major BAKER, secretary: Committee comprised of Colonel WAKEFIELD JP, Captain DANIELL, Messrs. JasWATT, Michael MURPHY PM, and JC CRAWFORD: It was confined to members and friends only, and they met every Tuesday evening at 7, at Mr W ELSDONs Commerical Inn and Tavern. Some of the members were Major DURIE; Major HORNBROOK; J WADE; Captain HAY; Henry TAYLOR; Robert WAITT and James SMITH:
PONEKE FOOTBALL CLUB
1925 the team that won the Senior Championship.
R SMITH: A KENNEDY: JD SHEARER: W WALSH:F TILYARD: C PETERSON: B ALGAR(coach) AJ WILSON:E JESSEP: R POPE: W ADAMS: L WILSON: D SLATER:W GIBBS: WJ WHITE (coach) P HICKEY: D.ALGAR:C PATCHATT(vice-pres) SD SHEARER(vice-capt): H HALL (capt) SS MURRAY (treas) HC LE COMTE: (Hon.sec) M TURNER: J GILBERT: B GIBSON: H TILYARD..
:Officers for 1887: No 1 Rechabite Hall, Manners St.
FH FRASER (sec) No 6 met Sydney St: WH FREETHY (sec)
No 19: Mr WJ GAUDIN (sec)
ROTARY CLUB - WGTON President DS Smith; treas GD Hall; sec H Amos; Sergeant-at-arms NE Dennison; Vice pres, DJ McGowan; board of directors, CE Blarner, J Hislop, SA Longuet, JI Martin, FW Vosseler, CE Wheeler
ST ANDREWS LODGE officers 1896, Bros NEILSON; A MACKAY: FJ BEW; R FLETCHER: (sec)
SETTLERS COMMITTEE: A Wellington settlers Constitutional Assn formedon 19-08-1850 had amongst its members; Messrs; J JOHNSON; J WALLACE; R WAITT; DR DORSETT; W E TAUNTON; D MUNN; J AMES; EDWARDS; WINTRINGHAM;FISHER; PLIMMER; ALEXANDER
A club was established in 1894 by Messrs. RC
RENNER; T EVANS: J DRISCOLL: & EJ FLEMING;
Officers in 1896 were; Dr CHAPPLE, president;
Sir Robert STOUT, Sir HD BELL, Messrs J DUTHIE, W ALLEN, T SHIELDS, vice presidents: F PULLEN(POLLEN), captain.
SPCA Pres Mr F. Meadowcroft; sec & treas Mr A.M Anderson, F.P.A.; NZ inspector Capt J Henry.
Met in 1866 . Officers CH GILLESPIE, GM SNELSON,
Issac PLIMMER, DT SMITH (scribe) TH ELLISON, J ROBERTSON,'
C HEWITT, W DALTON.
WATERLOO LODGE officers 1896; Bros G MCMORRAN; JW DAVIS: GB CLARK: J STEVENSON
WELLINGTON ORCHESTRA Wellington Professional Orchestra 1914Les PROBERT; A. VIOLICH; Len KING; W TANNER Albert CRUMP; Johnny VITETTA; MS McILWRAITH' Charlie WOODS; B CURREY;George NELSON; AE JACOBS; Les WALKER; AC GRABHAM;Ted ELLIOT; Don GILLIES; Chas NORMAN;JH STEPHENSON; Vin VITETTA; Mrs CRANE; Bill BOWMAN; Joe VITETTA; Bill DUNNING; Tommy JOY; A McDONALD; Henry MOSCHINI; Herbert BLOY; Jack WOODWARD; Harold OAKES;Andrew WILLIAMS: HP WESTON; EP ANDREWS: Norma GARRY; EB GILCHRIST; Frank BOFFA;AS HILLIKER; Andy TAYLOR; Herb TUTSCHKA:Miss A WOOD: Jack BOX; Tommy LAWRENCE;GW BOWES; Alf GILLIES: Perc MINNIFIE;Harold RULE; Wally DUNCAN; Jack GLENNIE;N WATSON; WS JONES; George McPHUN ;R WOOD Snr; FrankDUNCAN;
WELLINGTON GOLF CLUB : a club was formed in 1895. Officers that year were: Excellency Earl of Glasgow, as president; L.O.H.TRIPP as secretary; Mr J DUNCAN as treasurer; T.T. WARDROP as captain; Messrs Martin CHAPMAN; DR CALDWELL; DB HOWDEN; & E JACKSON; Mrs HD BELL, captain Ladies division; Miss DUNCAN, secretary; Miss G HUTCHISON; Mrs AD CRAWFORD.
WELLINGTON LODGE- Officers for 1895; G ALLPORT; AD RILEY S ROBINSON F HART
WELLINGTON _ WAKEFIELD CLUB Wellington
Club, it is said was originally founded in 1840 when it was named
the Wakefield club in honour of Col. Wakefield.
It was then situated on Lambton Quay, nearly opposite the Government Departmental Buildings, in the premises since occupied by Messrs. WARNOCK & ADKINS. This name was retained until 1862, when Dr FEATHERSTON was president and mr W B D MANTELL, secretary. The present building on the Terrace (at 1927) was built and
opened in 1877. The trustees in 1885 were Colonel PEARCE, president;
F D (Sir DILLON) BELL Esq., vice-president; Messrs. W C BUCHANNAN, F A KRULL, Jas McKERROW, J E NATHAN, C B IZARD, C PHARAZYN, G TOLHURST, Sir G CLIFFORD, BART, Messrs A D B BRANDON, J R BLAIR, J DUNCAN, R M SIMPSON, P PARFITT, J ROSS, & Colonel FOX. Committee; Mr N W WERRY, secretary and manager,The present president (1927) is Mr H F JOHNSON solicitor; and secretary Mr H D LINTON.
WELLINGTONTON PHILATELIC SOCIETY Philatelic Society was established in 1888.Its officers in 1895 were; The Postmaster - General (president), Messrs E.G PILCHER (Vice president) LA SANDERSON (hon secretary & treasurer): A.T BATE: H.J KNOWLES: F. LAWRENSON: The organ of the society was the 'Australian Philatelist ' The membership was 55.
WELLINGTON JOCKEY CLUB 1851. patron Hon. H W Petrie; Stewards, Mr Harrison, Dr Dorset, Hon H.W. Petrie, Lieut. Trafford, Mr H St.Hill, Capt. Daniell, Messrs. Raymond, Bethune, Waitt, Jenkins, Kelham & Johnston: Sec & Treas was Dr Featherston.
Wellesley club was founded in 1891, the first president was Sir
Frances BELL K.C.M.G., KC., until 1911. The present prsident
(1927) is Sir Chas
SKERRETT, K.M.C.G., KC., from 1912. Mr F HARTMAN was the first secretary and the 1928 secretary is Mr R E BENNETT.
WAIKANAE RACING COMMITTEE; 1909 included W.PARATA; S SMYLIE; F COE; F CRUIKSHANK; F.LUXFORD; J FREEMAN; CONSTABLE SATHERLY; J EDWIN; W HART; W WATSON; T PARATA; Mr JONES; A WILLIAMS: J KENT; L FREEMAN; H PARATA; AR ROBERTSON; S PARATA
WORKING MENS CLUB
On Thursday 31st Dec 1840 a public meeting was held
at the Queens Hotel, Wellington to establish a working mensAssn. for the purpose of aquiring useful knowledge by the means of a library, discussion and lectures.The members of the committee were Messrs. ROWLAND, DAVIS, W. ANNEAR, KENTISH, BALTRASS, CANNING, R BARRY, STAFFORD, SWALLOW, WALKER and HEYWOOD. Mr Jonas WOODWARD was appointed Secretary.
YMCA - Wellington Mr James SMITH
convened a meeting of those interested in
the formation of a young mens christian assoc., in the year 1866.
The meeting was held a a Miss KINNIBURG's schoolroom, when
Mr Jonas WOODWARD was elected president and Mr J CARLEY secretary.