City Of Dunedin
A schooner rigged paddle steamer of 327 tons net register built in Dumbarton in 1863 by Archibald Denny. Two 100hp engines & owned by Messrs John Jones & John Cargill of Dunedin & under the command of Captain Boyd.
She left Port Chalmers on 14th May 1865 with 14 passengers and a cew of 25 bound for Lyttelton, Wellington, Nelson & Hokitika. She left Wellington on 20th May for the next leg of her voyage, and was never seen nor heard from again. A heavy southerly swell was running in Cook Strait when she left. Wreckage was later found in Palliser Bay.
It is thought likely that she stayed close to shore and struck a rock near Cape Terawhiti, perhaps Seal Rock, and with there always being a tide rip in the area she would have sunk fast with no time to launch boats. Fragments found suggest she broke up rapidly