Feilding Farmers Freezing Company was constituted in 1914 with Hugh BURRELL, CF RYLAND, JJ BRYCE, JW BRAMWELL, D FRASER, J LINKLATER, RA MCKENZIE, JH PERRETT, WJ POLSON, & E SHORT.
to become Rongotea) Co-operative Dairy Company
records begin on 5 March 1885, a week before incorporation.
In 5 days 37lb of butter was produced with the supplier receiving
9d per lb. By May the payement had settled down to
7d. Butter was sold in bulk under the brandname
"Milkmaid". Pat butter was known as
Here are the names of the 38 regular suppliers by May 1886.
C ANDERSON; F BURGESS; J BECKMAN; J BOTTCHER; H BOTTCHER; J BAKER; W BUCHANAN; A BROADBENT; COCKBURN; EE CRABB; DALTON; H DUCKER; D EHRHORN; EDWARD; W GARDINER; HOPPING; GS HEMMINGSEN; J HEMMINGSEN; M HUNT; W HUNT; W KOBERSTEIN; S KNIGHT; AP LASENBY; N MABEY; J MUDFORD; R MUDFORD; W RICHMOND; VC RANSOME; J SATHERLEY ; Wm SEXTON; F TOMPKINS;J TOMPKINS; J TUCKER; M TEAZ; Wm THOMPSON; HP THOMPSON; WALSH;
Chairman was VC RANSOM
Treasurer was C ANDERSON
Secretary was S KNIGHT
Directors: KOBERSTEIN, W RICHMOND, A RICHMOND, N BUCHANAN
A spin off from the co-operative,was the the establishment of box manufacturing to meet the need for butter boxes. A Mr BROADBENT supplied the surrounding districts and eventually moved to Feilding.
Prior to being formed into a co-operative, the dairy Company was established
by Mr William WESCOMBE CORPE (formerly a sawmiller) and must have been a welcome release for the busy farmers wife who up till then had butter making
as part of her daily chores. CORPE operated widely thoughout the Manawatu and even exported butter to England.............Average herd size was around 20 cows.
In that first year £7,026 pounds (sterling) worth of butter was sold, of which suppliers received £5,616 pounds (stg). The average cost of production for the year was 1 and two third pence per pound.
The factory was re-named Rongotea Dairy Company.
Oroua Downs 1885: Thomas CLUNE was the storekeeper and Walter SIMPSON a sheep inspector. Farmers included, John AMON; Thomas BARNETT, Ralph BOSWELL, Caleb John & Joshua CULL, Thomas DICKSON, John DOWDS, CW PATULLO, Duncan POOL, Edward STANDAN & WW Whiteman..
In March 1892 a tender to 'cut flax' on the Feilding - Awahuri and Awahuri-Sanson roads.was won by J. DALTON for £1 prepaid with a stipulation that it must be completed within 3 months. seven years later Joe TOS was granted the same right, but on only one section of road for £5 on the condition he transport the flax by river to the mill ( to save wear on the roads )
Bainessse 1885; Farmers, James DONALD & Charles DUNK.
'We the undersigned General Storekeepers and drapers of Feilding, having acceeded the request of our employees to close our places of business each evening (Saturdays excepted) at 6 o'clock.
EJ COTTRELL of WDC&G Co: SJ THOMPSON of Red House: F TRAIN of Cash Exchange: H DONKIN of Ready Money Drapery: G CRICHTON of Glasgow House: C BROWN of Manchester House:
In 1889 a sawmill was opened at Whitmore by Messrs. MOSEN and STEFFENSON. 1885 had Fritz JENSEN opening a sawmill in the Linton area.
Halcombe 1879: The bakery was first owned by John CARTWRIGHT who sold it to W.T. LARSEN. In 1885 George P. COPELAND had the sawmills, Joseph HEAPPEY was a wood dealer; Mrs Eliza ADAMS made hats and Rasamus ANDERSON Jun. made boots. FJ BEALING was the wheelwright;John L SCHMIDT the butcher;
Karere 1885; farmers included, Edward CASEY Murdock MATHESON
James TREWIN, Public Benefit Boot Warehouse, Kimbolton Rd Feilding, next to HIGGIN's chemist. Feilding Boot & Shoe Emporium, Manchester Street, proprietor S. SVENDSEN: Also in Feilding, FG WOOLLAMS, pharmaceutical Chemist, late of Welington, now in Manchester street, Keeps a full stock of Pure drugs and the extraction of teeth is a speciality.
Feilding: The Feilding Guardian was the first newspaper of the district, published 1879 by Mr George CAPPER. Mr T.V. BROWN had the Feilding Hotel & the town was watched over by constable Tom PRICE: H.M. CRAMMOND was in Fergusson street as a saddle and harness maker; D.R. LEWERS sold clothing, footwear, home furnishings and groceries: W.A. PICARD had a blacksmith shop & shod horses: P THOMPSON, plumber & tinsmith in Manchester Square: E.E> METARD, watchmaker & jeweller: W DRIVER biscuit and bread maker: EJ COTTRELL sold drapery, millenery & clothing: JC THOMPSON, land agents and insurance & R. COLLINS had Buckingham Palace Hotel & Restaurant. J KLINK had the Family Boarding House and Working Mens Restaurant; Dr Daniel JOHNSON the surgeon:
Cheltenham : BRADLEY, MAITLAND & Co opened a general store (c1879), whilst Robert STEWART kept the hotel around 1885. Farmers in the area around 1885 included MILLS, McBEITH, LOW, HAYNEY, DEATH, DARIS, BRUCE, BRYCE, BANKS, BARROW, TAPON, TYREMAN, OBOURL & PARRY
Feilding; In 1885, butter under the brand name 'Reliance' was bein marketed from Te Arakura by the BENNETT Family. A Mr Fred JEPSON managed the Aorangii Creamery. Amelia CHARLES and Andy ROBINSON were daily visitors to the creamery which closed in 1920.
Bunnythorpe Dairy Co-Op original directors were, J ROBERTSON, J PRINT, T FOWLER, M PEDERSON, Mr McFARLAND, G RANSON, and H DEWAR.
Brewer 1880 - Palmerston North - Crawford, FH,
Brickmaker 1880 - Bowler Richard, Feilding
Builder - 1880 Perriu John E, Palmerston North
Feilding Builders & Contractors - 1880
Birch RLC, Halcombe
Bauckham G, Feilding
Everiss E, Halcombe
Harvey William, Feilding
Johnson John, Feilding
Nicholas WD, Feilding
Pearson Jonathon, Feilding
Smithson William, Feilding
Warne Charles, Feilding
Wells JW, Feilding