Topic: Other ponderings
Have you read the latest from Bishop Gianfranco Girotti, head of the Vatican body that oversees confessions and plenary indulgences. See the full article at: http://www.weeklystandard.com/Utilities/printer_preview.asp?idArticle=14949&R=13A16D2A5
Here is the Vatican's list of the new 7 deadly sins...
- Drug abuse
- Morally debatable experimentation
- Environmental pollution
- Causing poverty
- Social inequality and injustice
- Genetic manipulation
- Accumulating excessive wealth
A thoughtful list... all things which cut one off from Spirit/God... which numb body and mind and prevent soul from fully permeating body. FYI, the original 7 deadly sins are... Envy, Gluttony (eating too much or a great desire for something), Lust (a great sexual desire or any intense desire for something), Anger, Sloth (laziness), and Greed.I pondered this list a bit. Following are my thoughts on the subject... what do you think?
- Drug abuse - Drugs, whether illegal or pharmaceutical pollute the body and numb the mind making both so toxic that a relationship to God/Spirit is impossible. When the body/mind is numb one cannot feel/sense what is going on around them, they are cut off from being a true Hu-man (God/Spirit permeated body). They loose their connection so cannot experience the fullness of Life nor feel the Love which permeates 'All That Is'. They are walking 'dead'. Drug abuse is akin to Lust a great desire for something (i.e. a desire to be pain free, or to escape life, or to let go of inhibitions, or seeking freedom from, etc.)... which is beyond reason.
- Morally debatable experimentation - Morally debatable experimentation keeps one in a boiling pot of intensity and creates isolation. It cuts one off from their humanity and the feelings of love and compassion for self and others. This focus does not allow peace and quietude... the time where one can hear the small quiet voice and sense the connection and communion with nature and God/Spirit/Self. Where one places thoughts or focuses attention manifests results in life. If morally debatable experimentation is rampant in a society it is a cry or call for love, kindness and help and perhaps a need for that society to re-evaluate its' current focus.
- Environmental pollution - When one pollutes the environment they also pollute body/self. Environmental pollution is akin to Sloth. From the most mundane and obvious perspective... polluting the Earth is like living in one's toilet with all of one's excrement. Earth is where we live, breathe, eat, play and work... 24/7/365... the question would be 'What do you want?' As well, pollution like drugs pollute the body and numb the mind making both so toxic that a relationship to God/Self is nearly impossible.
- Causing poverty - What one does to others, one ultimately does to self. Causing poverty is akin to Greed. Because of an excessive desire for wealth, one amasses and hordes. Hording stops flow... if there is a limited amount of anything and one hordes, it creates disparity. Hording behavior will ultimately collapse a society. It creates grasping desire and slavery consciousness. One becomes a slave to that which has been horded on both sides... trying to keep (or horde more) or trying to get (get out of poverty). If all of one's time and focus are spent on grasping one loses connection to God/Self, compassion and their humanity.
- Social inequality and injustice - We may wear individual customized skins, but ultimately we are all One. We are all equal and all Loved by God/Spirit. Inequality and injustice to one or one segment, hurts all and disrupts balance and nature order. It perpetuates separation, hate and war. This concept of social inequality and injustice extends to and through the individual, government, church, workplace, humanity and all life. It is based on seeing someone or something as 'better then' or 'less then'. Until we can individually and collectively transcend seeing difference as a bad thing and embrace each other for our uniqueness with love and celebration, we will continue to perpetuate this particular behavior and live in 'fear'. F.E.A.R. is simply False Evidence Appearing Real. Elimination of inequality and injustice begins with self. The relationship with self to self, to family, to friends, to colleagues, to society and to all humanity. When one has love, kindness and respect for self they can easily turn that love, kindness and respect outward to 'all that is'.
- Genetic manipulation - Manipulation of Genetic material and cloning without understanding the ultimate long-term effect of that manipulation relates to the saying 'they know not what they do'. If one has an enlightened perspective and the knowledge of 'all that is' they know full well what the long-term outcome will be of one small change to DNA. Therefore they can make that change with confidence and for the highest good of all concerned. Without the same perspective Genetic manipulation is ignorantly 'playing God'.
- Accumulating excessive wealth - As in Causing poverty Accumulating excessive wealth is akin to Greed. Because of an excessive desire for wealth, one amasses and hordes. Hording stops flow... if there is a limited amount of anything and one hordes this creates disparity. Hording behavior will ultimately collapse a society. It creates grasping desire and slavery consciousness. One becomes a slave to that which has been horded on both sides... trying to keep (haves) or trying to get (have-nots). If all of one's time and focus are spent on grasping one loses connection to God/Self, compassion and their humanity.
© 2008 Bonnee Klein Gilligan. All rights reserved.