Site hosted by Build your free website today!


Andrew Anderson And Harry Black Buried With Military Honors Only Two Days Apart
Both Were Victims Of Pneumonia Following An Attack Of The Influenza

The remains of the late Andrew Anderson, who died in Camp Grant last week of pneumonia following an attack of influenza arrived in LaPorte Saturday evening and were immediately taken to Woodmen Hall by members of the Home Guard.

The funeral was held Saturday afternoon, conducted by Rev. Jay E. Pierce, and music was rendered by a choir composed of Mrs. Wildeman, Mrs. Pierce, Azalia Prosser, Charlotte Holderbecker, F.W. Hart, Ira M. Smith and Guy Fenley, with J.M. Snesrud, organist. The selections were "America," Jesus Lover of My Soul" and "My Jesus as Thou Wilt."

The pall bearers were C.R. Adams, J.B. Cotant, Joe Reinerz, F.H. Kelsey, Paul Hanson and M.R. Whiting, being selected from the Home Guards and Modern Woodmen, of which the deceased was a member.

On account of the nature of the disease the remains were not taken into the church but were left outside, F.H. Kelsey and A.W. Almquist acting as a guard of honor.

Mr. Pierce took for his text, 2 Timothy 2:3. "Thou, therefore endure hardness as a good soldier of Jesus Christ." His remarks were full of sympathy and consolation. Coming into a country like this, there is a feeling of family ties and fellowship. We are all of one family and those who were present came as sympathizing friends. Might makes right only when it is on the side of right, and those who have boys in the army can be thankful they are on the side of right.

The floral decorations were very beautiful, consisting of a pillow with the letters "M.W.A." on it from the Modern Woodmen, a shield of red, white and blue with letters "H.G." from the Home Guards, and clusters of roses from friends of the family.

The deceased was born in Norway August 1, 1888, and came to America in 1893. He moved into our midst in 1905 when his father took up a homestead, and has lived here ever since. He entered the service August 24, 1918, and died October 9, 1918, aged 30 years, 2 months, and 8 days. He leaves a father, five sisters and a brother to mourn his loss.

This was the first funeral ever held in LaPorte of a soldier boy while in service. It was followed only two days afterwards, however, by another as the remains of Harry Black were received Monday night and internment took place the next day.

The family had learned several days previously that Harry was very sick and in the hospital, but "as no news is better than bad news" they felt quite hopeful he was recover, until Saturday morning when a telegram was received announcing his death at 6:20 p.m. the day before.

The remains arrived Monday evening and were immediately taken out to his father's home and placed among the trees under whose shade he had played from childhood.

The Certificate of Death stated the cause to be "Lobar Pneumonia," but that must have come suddenly and unexpectedly is evidenced from the fact that Monday morning Mrs. Black received a letter from Harry written Friday and post-marked only five hours before his death, that read as follows:

"Dear Wife - Am still in the hospital but getting along fine. Best of treatment. Hope to be out in a few days. Do not worry." Signed, "Harry."

To this was added a line from R.B. Van Winkle, Y.M.C.A. Secretary at Camp Grant, saying: "Your husband is doing nicely, will do all in our power for him."

In view of these apparently conflicting statements it was decided to open the casket as a feeling of hope was revived in all minds that a mistake had been made. Whether it was on account of the growing darkness in the shadow of the pines or from the great and unexpected change in the countenance or both, is hard to say, but none of the family, friends, members of the Modern Woodmen, or Home Guards who acompanied the remains from the depot were able to recognize the body and the hope was stregthened that a mistake had been made. Shortly before 2 o'clock Tuesday afternoon, the time set for the funeral, however, Dr. Wilcox again opened the casket and in the stronger light and the discovery of certain identification markes on the body, the identification was complete.

The services were in charge of Rev. Pierce, who took for this text 2 Timothy 2:3, the same as on the former occasion, and he spoke in the same sympathetic, comforting way, saying that those who died in the camps from disease while in the service of their country had given their lives for the cause of humanity and world peace as truly as those who died on the field of battle.

Music was furnished by a select choir consisting of Mrs George H. Child, Mrs. Prescott, Raymond Schmidt, and Carl Gladen, with Mrs. Gilliland, organist, and the selections were "America," "Jesus Lover of My Soul," and "Nearer My God to Thee."

The casket was profusely decorated with flowers, one of the pieces being a beautiful pillow from the Modern Woodmen of which the deceased was a member, and the others being bouquets and clusters of roses from the Ladies Aid Society, Mrs. J.C. Stuart and daughters Mrs. A.H. Underhill and Miss Ruth Stuart, the Royal Neighbors of America and the Home Guard, and a wreath from Mrs. Robert Robinson and Mrs. Prescott.

The pall bearers were M.R. Whiting, Joe Mead, O.M. Ebersole, Alex Dougherty, Eli Morehouse and Joe Rainerz, and Roy Johnson, color bearer.

The relatives present from out of town were Mrs. McNaughton of Staples, mother of Mrs. Harry Black, A. Foster, Staples, brother-in-law of Mrs. Harry Black, Miss Martha Wolf, sister of Mrs. Robert Black, and D.R. Wolf, J.R. Wolf, Gladys and Elwin Wolf, all of Sauk Center.

Harry Black was born near Little Sauk, Tood County, Minnesota, October 25, 1896 and came to LaPorte with his parents 17 years ago. He was married to Dorothy McNaughton June 23, 1917, entered the service of his country August 24, 1918, and died October 11, 1918 aged 21 years, 11 months and 16 days.

This makes two gold stars in our service flag and the bereaved families have the sympathy of the entire community. It is hoped no more gold stars will have to be added to the list.