William Thompson, 1797-1842 Penelope Holland 1798-1895
William THOMPSON, son of Charles and Mary HODGES THOMPSON, was born 2 APR 1797 in Northampton County, North Carolina. He married Penelope HOLLAND on 25 JAN 1816 in Dickson County, Tennessee. Penelope, daughter of Benjamin and Rhoda KEY HOLLAND, was born 10 JAN 1798 in Wake County, North Carolina and died 3 JUL 1895 in Benton County, Tennessee.
William and Penelope are buried in Cowell's Chapel Cemetery in Benton County, Tennessee.
William and Penelope had the following children:
Lemuel Hulet THOMPSON, 18 MAR 1817-2 MAR 1866
2. Willis Calvin THOMPSON, 18 NOV 1818-4 DEC 1888
3. Charles Hodges THOMPSON, 3 NOV 1819-16 MAY 1879
4. Dolly THOMPSON HIGDON, ABT 1821-BEF 1888
Benjamin Thompson, 23 AUG 1823-24 NOV 1863
6. William THOMPSON, JR, ABT 1825-BEF 1888
7. David "Davy" THOMPSON, 24 DEC 1827-19 MAR 1919
8. Roda Caroline THOMPSON BEASLEY, MAY 1831-18 JUL 1915
9. Mary Ann "Polly" THOMPSON, FEB 1833-10 FEB 1905
10. Albert Franklin THOMPSON, 1834-1 OCT 1872
11. Eliza Louisa "Liza" THOMPSON, 1836-BEF 1888
12. Jeremiah "Jerry" THOMPSON, 2 MAR 1839-26 NOV 1892
Notes for William Thompson:
From "Goodspeed's History of Tennessee":
The first settlement in Benton County, was made by Willis and Dennis Rushing, on Rushing Creek, six miles north of Camden, about 1819. A year later Nicholas and Lewis Brewer settled in Rumble Creek, twelve miles north of Camden, and at the same time M. Mimms located on Birdsong Creek. During the next four or five years the settlement went on quite rapidly, many coming from Hickman, Stewart and other counties lying on the east side of the Tennessee River. Among those who located along the Big Sandy River were David Watson, John and Wm. Pierce, Lewis Graham, Wm. Cottingham, George McDaniel and James Craig. The Arnolds (Wyatt, James and Wyly) settled on Beaver Dam while in the neighborhood of Cowell Chapel were Joseph Cowell, Charles Benjamin, and Matthew Williams, Zachary Barker, Thomas Jones, Wm. Thompson, Benjamin Holland and James Lee. The last two named were the first to locate. Ephraim Perkins, Dorsey P. Hudson and William Woods settled about two miles north of where Camden now is. On Eagle Creek were William Hubbs, John Lomaner, Michael Frey, John Barnett, "Cos" Matlock and David Lewis. Among the first settlers on Harman Creek were George W. Farmer, David and Samuel Benton, William Wheatley, Joseph Melton, Si Melton, John Phifer, Daniel Mason a "store keeper", and an old man from whom the creek took its name; Charles and Thomas Wheatley and Simon Nobles, located on Sulphur Creek; John Anderson, near Chalk Level; James Wyly, below Birdsong Creek; John Jackson, Charles Burratt and John B. Carnes, near the present site of Camden.
During the first few years, the settlers depended for a subsistence upon deer, turkey and other wild game, which was very plentiful, and upon bread made from meal ground either in hand-mills or horse-mills. The first water-mill in the county was built by Matthew Williams, on Cypress Creek in 1824. Another was erected at about the same time on the banks of the Big Sandy, by a man by the name of King. About 183Z a mill was built by James Hogg, on Birdsong Creek, not far from Chaseville. It was afterward owned and operated by Green Flowers. The mill on the same creek, now owned by John Allen, was built by Pleasant Mullinix, early in the thirties. The first cotton-gin in the county was built by Dorsey P. Hudson, on his farm northeast of Camden, in 1828. William Thompson also built one at very nearly the same time. The mills mentioned above were all grist mills at first, but later saw-mills were attached to them. Several other mills have been built on the various creeks of the county, but they have been most numerous along the Big Sandy. No other manufactories with the exception of a tobacco factory at Camden, have ever been established.