Samuel and Mary Phelps Pyatt
Samuel Pyatt was born Apr 16, 1793, in Ohio to Ebenezer Pyatt and Rebecca Millburn and died Sept 21, 1875, in Perry County, Illinois. He married first in 1817 in Williamson County, Illinois, Mary Phelps who was born in Kentucky and who died in 1846 (same year as her mother? Did Mary really die before 1840?). Samuel married second January 2, 1848, in Perry County, Illinois, Cyrena Jones Marlin who was born c1819 in Tennessee.
The children of Samuel and Mary were as follows:
The Samuel Pyatt household per the 1830 federal census of Perry County, Illinois:
- Milburn Monroe Pyatt b: c1818 IL m1: 19 Mar 1841 Perry Co, IL, Malita B Jones m2: 31 Oct 1869 Perry Co, IL, Milly B Jones (watch for confusion with the Milburn Pyatt who was the son of Henry Pyeatt.)
- John Washington Pyatt b: 22 Jun 1820 Jackson Co, IL d: Sep 1887 Perry Co, IL (buried Galum Presbyterian Cemetery, Perry Co, IL) m: 2 Jul 1859 Perry Co, IL, Lydia E. Andrews b: c1830 NY (who was first married to ? Burnell)
- James Madison Pyatt b: c1825 IL d: 1847 (Mexican War, near San Antonio, TX)
- Lucinda Narcissa Pyatt b: c1827 Perry Co, IL m1: 6 Jun 1844 Perry Co, IL, Hampton Bourland d: 1847 Mexico (Mexican War)
m2: c1850 William Goodacre/Goodaker b: c1813 KY (Lucinda is ancestor of Mary H Jones firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Andrew Milton Bourland b: 1845 Perry Co, IL
- Izri (Israel) Jackson Pyatt b: 1829 d: 8 Sep 1883 (54y,6m,23dy)(buried Galum Presbyterian Cemetery, Perry Co, IL) m: 26 Dec 1850 Perry Co, IL, Mary J Craig b: 5 Dec 1830 Perry Co, IL
- Nancy Adaline Pyatt b: 1831 (or 1821) Perry Co, IL m: Perry Co, IL, John W. Craig b: 1806 in NC (or Caldwell Co, KY)
- female Pyatt d: at age 14
- infant Pyatt d: in infancy
- Ebenezer Jefferson Pyatt b: 6 Dec 1833 Perry Co, IL d: 23 Oct 1899 Jackson Co, IL m: 5 Feb 1857 Perry Co, IL, Penina Crain b: 4 Apr 1840 Randolph or Perry Co, IL
This is how a Samuel Pyatt family appears on the 1840 federal census for Perry County, Illinois
- Pyatt, Samuel 1m<5; 1m5-10; 2m10-15;1m30-40; 1f<5; 1f5-10; 1f30-40
Either Samuel's age was enumerated in error - or this is not the same Samuel that appears 10 years earlier and 10 years later. Samuel and Mary had several children by 1840 when he appears to be living with an older woman (possibly his mother (who died in 1846) or mother-in-law) in his household.
- Pyatt, Samul 2m5-10; 1m10-15; 1m15-20; 1m20-30; 1f5-10; 1f10-15; 1f50-60
I found that Samuel was involved in politics early in Perry County's History. This is from a list of early commissioners:
- 1832-33 Daniel DRY, Samuel PYATT, Benjamin HAMMACK
- 1834-35 Daniel DRY, Samuel PYATT, William EDWARDS
- 1836 William EDWARDS, Andrew BOURLAND, Samuel PYATT
Is the Andrew Bourland who served with Samuel in 1836 the father of Lucinda's husband?
Causing me some confusion is the appearance of Samuel and his children on the Kendall County Pioneers list for Kendall County, Illinois, as follows:
- Pyatt, Cynthia (Misner)(Mrs. John W.) born Apr 24 1825 Shelby, IN; died Sep 13 1874 Morris, IL; Township BG; Arrival year: 1833; Code: HI [my note: I think this should read 'Mrs. John' not Mrs. John W'. MCP]
- Pyatt, Cyrena W. (Marlin)(2nd Mrs. Samuel, Sr.) born abt 1809 Tennessee; died aft 1882 Jasper Co., MO; Township: KE; Arrival year: 1834
- Pyatt, Milburn (s. Samuel, Sr. & Mary) born abt 1828 Illinois; died aft 1880 [last found Montgomery Co. IL 1880]; Township: KE; Arrival year: 1834
- Pyatt, Ebenezer Jefferson (s. Samuel, Sr. & Mary) born Dec 6 1833 Perry Co., IL; died Oct 23 1899 Jackson Co., IL; Township: KE; Arrival year 1834
- Pyatt, Ezra "Israel" (s. Samuel, Sr. & Mary) born abt 1829 Illinois; died Sep 8 1883 [last found Pinckneyville, IL 1880]; Township: KE; Arrival year: 1834
- Pyatt, James M. (s. Samuel, Sr. & Mary)(Mexican War) born abt 1825; died abt 1847 San Antonio, TX; Township: KE; Arrival year: 1834; Code: HI
- Pyatt, John W. (s. Samuel, Sr. & Mary ) born abt 1820 Illinois; died abt 1887 [last found Pinckneyville, IL 1880]; Township: KE; Arrival year: 1834
- Pyatt, Mary (Phelps)(1st Mrs. Samuel, Sr.) born abt 1806 Kentucky; died Jan 4 1846 Perry Co., IL; Township: FO; Arrival year: 1836
- Pyatt, Nancy A. (d. Samuel, Sr. & Mary) born abt 1821 Perry Co., IL; died nf 1960 [last found Perry Co. IL 1850]; Township: KE; Arrival year: 1834
- Pyatt, Narvey A. (s. Samuel, Sr. & Mary) born abt 1831 Perry Co., IL; died nf 1860 [last found Perry Co. IL 1850]; Township: KE; Arrival year: 1834
- Pyatt, Samuel, Sr. (claim on southern point Long Grove) born Apr 16 1794 Ohio; died nf 1880 [last found DuQuoin, IL 1870]; Township: KE; Arrival year: 1834; Code:
The children's names match up pretty well, however, some dates are different. Also, there is a son, Narvey A Pyatt, not listed elsewhere for this family.
Samuel married second January 2, 1848, in Perry County, Illinois, Cyrena Jones Marlin who was born c1819 in Tennessee.
By the 1850 federal census of Perry County, Illinois, Samuel's family was as follows:
- Pyatt, Samuel age 56 born OH / wm / Farmer
- Pyatt, Cyrena age 31 born TN / wf
- Pyatt, Ebanezer age 17 born IL / wm / Farmer
They were enumerated #71/71 pg 8 (341 7th District from index).
It would appear that most of Samuel's children have moved on to households of their own. Some living close by include:
These three are all in the same household. Since there is no marriage record, to my knowledge, between John Pyatt and Nancy ? and since they are all listed as single - this is probably three siblings living together. The ages match Ebenezer's children with those names. Soon after the census, Izra J Pyatt marries Mary J Craig on December 26, 1850.
- Pyatt, John W. age 30 born IL
- Pyatt, Izra age 21 born IL
- Pyatt, Nancy A age 19 born IL / sf
Also, living near Samuel was Milburn M Pyeatt and wife Malita B Jones who were married March 19, 1841.
As per the census:
These younger Pyatts, all born in IL, would fit the ages given on the enumeration of Samuel Pyatt in 1840.
- Pyatt, Melbern age 32 born IL
- Pyatt, Meletta B. age 27 born TN
- Jones, Milly B age 20 born IL
Also living nearby was the recently remarried daughter, Lucinda N Goodacre, as follows:
- Goodacre, William age 37 born KY / M / Farmer / Married w/in the year
- Goodacre, Lucinda N. age 23 born IL / F
- Goodacre, Samuel C. age 15 born KY / M / Farmer
- Goodacre, Elizabeth age 14 born IL / F
- Goodacre, Mary age 8 born IL / F
- Goodacre, Isabell age 6 born IL / F
- Goodacre, Miriam age 2 born IL / F
- Bourland, Andrew M. age 5 born IL / M
Samuel and family appeared as follows by the 1860 census of Perry County, IL:
On the 1870 census of DuQuoin P O [T6R2], Perry County, Illinois we find:
- Pyatt, Samuel age 67 born OH / wm / Farmer / $6,400/$2,500
- Pyatt, Cyrena age 41 born TN / wf
- Pyatt, Nancy A age 28 born IL / wf
- Crain, Wilfred age 11 born IL / wm (This family enumerated #1530 (pg 214 Pickneyville from Index))
- Pyatt, Samuel age 77 born OH W M Farmer $2000/150
- Pyatt, Cyrena age 57 born TN W F Keeping House
They were enumerated #18/18 20 Jul 1870 (ancestry image 3/23) [Pickneyville marked through and changed to DuQuoin]. Also living in Perry County was #20/20 Milburn M Pyeatt, his son. In Denmark, Perry County were sons, Ebenezer and John W Pyatt.
By the 1880 census Samual appeared as follows in Pickneyville, Perry, County, Illinois:
This family was enumerated #1530/1530 10th July 1860 pg 214 (ancestry image 216/246). Living nearby were sons Milburn, Isreal, Ebenezer and John W Pyatt.
- Pyatt, Saml age 67 born OH / male / farmer / $6,400/$2,500
- Pyatt, Cyrena age 41 born TN / female / cannot read/write
- Pyatt, Nancy A age 28 born IL / female
- Crain, Wilfred age 11 born IL / male
These Illinois Public Land Domain Records might belong to this Samuel:
- PIATT SAMUEL FD NW 05 09S 01E 3 13332 200 26664 August 06 1817 039 087 232 153778 0
- PAYTE SAMUEL Military Tract SW 17 01N 07W 4 016000 00000 0000000 December 23 1817 000 807 298 W 571174 0
- PIATT SAMUEL FD W2SE 13 06S 03W 3 8000 125 10000 April 06 1836 073 031 048 275774 0
- PYATT SAMUEL FD E2SE 13 06S 03W 3 8000 125 10000 December 12 1836 073 031 081 275963 0
- PYATT SAMUEL FD NWSW 19 06S 02W 3 4159 125 5199 January 21 1839 073 031 143 381775 0
- PYEATTE SAMUEL FD E2SE 18 36N 07E 3 8000 125 10000 November 26 1839 000 684 170
- PYATT SAMUEL FD E2NE 01 07S 03W 3 8132 125 10165 February 23 1854 073 032 206 430038 0
The dates of these purchases would all fit what is known of this Samuel Piatt who married in Illinois in 1817 and died in 1875. See full abstract of Piatt/etc at Land Page.
Updated Feb 2008
- Piatt Family Newsletter, Volume 11, 1996.
- Phyllis Welsh email@example.com CA
- Marjorie Legris firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mary H. Jones Wickenburg, AZ email@example.com
- 1830-1880 federal census of Perry Co, IL
- Marriage records of Perry Co, IL
- Land records of Illinois
- Kendall County, Illinois, Pioneer List
- Perry County, Illinois, Commissioner's List
- Galum Presbyterian Cemetery inscriptions
Back to Home
Back to Ebenezer and Rebecca Milburn Pyatt Page