Jacob and Lucinda F Piatt
Jacob Piatt was born c1817 to Robert and Nancy Jones Piatt in Boone County, Kentucky. Jacob's father, Robert, was born in New Jersey, but went to Kentucky, where he married Nancy Jones in 1798. Nancy's parents are still unknown.
Jacob married Lucinda F Piatt in Boone County, Kentucky, on September 24, 1837. They were married by Francis Craig and the bond was by Daniel Piatt (book B-17). Was the bondsman his older brother, Daniel Piatt?
Lucinda was born c1819-1823 in Ohio. Who were her parents? In 1880 she said her father was born in New Jersey and her mother's place of birth was not given. Was Piatt her maiden name (a cousin of Jacobs?) or did they leave off the 'Mrs.' on a widow? I suspect Lucinda's middle name was Francis. For one, there aren't a lot of 'F' female names to choose from and their youngest daughter was listed as Francis L or Lucinda F on various census entries.
Jacob and Lucinda had the following known children:
Jacob and Lucinda appear as follows on the 1850 census of Boone County, Kentucky, Union Twp:
- William Piatt b: c1839-1842 East Bend, Boone Co, KY
- Robert Piatt b: c1842 East Bend, Boone Co, KY m: Catherine ? b: 1848
- Nancy Ann Piatt b: c1845 East Bend, Boone Co, KY
- Elizabeth Catherine Piatt b: c1846-1847 East Bend, Boone Co, KY
- Lamidean 'Lana' Piatt (female) b: June 1850 East Bend, Boone, KY
d: 26 Mar 1862 Boone Co, KY
- Jacob "Little Jakie" Piatt b: c1851 d: 26 Mar 1862 aged 11 years 10 months 8 days (buried East Bend Methodist Church Cemetery, Boone Co, KY)
- John D Piatt b: c1853 KY
- Lucinda Frances Piatt b: c1856 KY
Jacob and Lucinda appear as follows on the 1860 census of Union Precinct, Boone County, Kentucky:
- Piatt, Jacob / WM / age 33 born KY / Farmer / $2300
- Piatt, Lucinda F / WF / age 27 born OH
- Piatt, William / WM / age 12 born KY
- Piatt, Robert / WM / age 9 born KY
- Piatt, Ann / WF / age 6 born KY
- Piatt, Catharine E / WF / age 4 born KY
- Piatt, Lamidean / WF / age 2/12 born KY (This family was enumerated #49 on page 239 lines 36 thru 42 on Aug 29, 1850)
I viewed this census entry myself and could come up with no other possible names for 'Lamidean'. However, I believe that this child (listed as female) is the 'Little Jakie' in the East Bend Cemetery. I need to resolve the issue of the 5th and 6th children listed. Obviously, not both died on the same day. Only 'Little Jakie' has a headstone. I will have to check my sources for that information.
Catherine E seems to have been listed this year as E C. This is the only year that Jacob 'Little Jakie' is listed before his death in 1862 at age 11.
- Piatt, Jacob age 43 / M / Farmer $5000/$300 / born in Kentucky
- Piatt, Lucinda age 39 / F / born in Ohio
- Piatt, William age 20 / M / farm hand / born in Kentucky
- Piatt, Robert age 18 / M / born in Kentucky (attended school in the last year)
- Piatt, Ann age 15 / F / born in Kentucky (attended school)
- Piatt, E C age 13 / F / born in Kentucky (attended school)
- Piatt, Jacob age 9 / M / born in Kentucky (attended school)
- Piatt, John D age 7 / M / born in Kentucky
- Piatt, Frances Y(?) age 3 / F / born in Kentucky (This family enumerated on page 153)
Jacob and family appeared as follows on the 1870 census of Boone County (Carlton District), KY:
This year Catherine Elizabeth is going by Elizabeth and 'Ann' is going by Nancy A. The 'Frances L' of the previous census is Lucinda F this year.
- Piatt, Jacob age 54 born KY / wm / Gardener / $0/$500
- Piatt, Lucinda age 50 born OH / wf / Keeping house
- Piatt, William age 31 born Ky / wm / Laborer $0/$200
- Piatt, Robert age 28 born KY / wm / Laborer $0/$150
- Piatt, Nancy A age 24 born KY / wf
- Piatt, Elizabeth age 22 born KY / wf
- Piatt, John D age 17 born KY / wm / Laborer
- Piatt, Lucinda F age 13 born KY / wf (This family enumerated on pg 9 beside Robert Piatt family.)
By the 1880 census, the family can be found in Carlton Township, Boone County, KY, as follows:
- Piatt, Jacob age 63 born KY / MWM / Farmer / father born KY/mother born IN
- Piatt, Lucinda (Wife) age 61 born OH / MWF / Keeping House / father born NJ/mother born ---
- Piatt, Robert (Son) age 38 born KY / SWM / Farmer / father born KY/mother born OH
- Piatt, John D (Son) age 24 born KY / SWM / Farmer / father born KY/mother born OH
- Piatt, Emma A (Dau) age 35 born KY / SWF / At Home / father born KY/mother born OH
- Piatt, E C (Dau) age 33 born KY / SWF / At Home / father born KY/mother born OH
- Piatt, Lucinda F (Dau) age 22 born KY / SWF / At Home / father born KY/mother born OH (from familysearch.org; page 437B)
It seems that someone might have misread the entry of Nancy A as 'Emma A' when doing this transcription for family search since it would be hard for Jacob to have a daughter who had never previously appeared with them. I will have to check the handwritten schedule to be sure that this is a misreading. Elizabeth Catherine is listed again as E C.
I feel like I have to ask - why didn't these children marry? Most are still living at home at an age that most children would have already started their own families. Only William is not among those listed with the family. And, in fact, I don't find him in Boone County at all in 1880. Did he marry? I do not have a marriage record to that effect - though - no doubt I am missing many. A more likely scenario might be his death.
Living near Jacob and Lucinda on the 1880 census of Boone County, Kentucky, were John J and Ophelia W Riddell Piatt and Robert and Catherine Canby Piatt. John J and Robert were sons of John and Millicent Riddell Piatt. Anotherwords, they were nephews of Jacob.
Research To-Do List:
- 1850 - 1870 Boone Co, KY, census
- Sources for Robert Piatt given on his page
- East Bend Methodist Church Cemetery, Boone Co, KY
- Boone Co, KY, marriages
Updated Jul 2003
- Determine parents of Lucinda F Piatt
- Abstract Jacob & Lucinda on the 1840 census
- View handwritten 1880 census entry and 1850 census entry
- Locate the children on the 1900 Boone Co, KY, census
Back to Home
To Robert Piatt and Nancy Jones Page