Daniel and Elizabeth Cain Piatt
Daniel Piatt was born June 5, 1801, (or May 6) to Robert and Nancy Jones Piatt in Boone County, Kentucky, and died in 1887 (perhaps July 20 or 30) in Louisville, Boone County, Kentucky. Daniel's father, Robert, was born in New Jersey, but went to Kentucky, where he married Nancy Jones in 1798. Nancy's parents are still unknown.
Daniel married Elizabeth Cain on February 27, 1828, in Campbell County, Kentucky. Her father, Asael Cain, signed his consent on the marriage license and Reuben McDannold was the bondsman.
Elizabeth was born May 28, 1802, (or 1809) in Kenton County, Kentucky, and died June 20, 1843, in Boone County, Kentucky. The IGI has her father Asael Cain married to Lucy Stansifer, daughter of John and Jemima Clore Stanisfer of Virginia. The naming of Daniel and Elizabeth's children bears this out. A headstone in the East Bend Baptist Church cemetery in Boone County states Elizabeth Piatt b: 5-28-1802 d: 06-20-1843 Consort of Daniel Piatt. This would appear to be Elizabeth Cain Piatt's headstone.
Daniel and Elizabeth had the following known children:
The follow entry on the 1830 census of Boone County, Kentucky, appears to belong to Daniel and Elizabeth:
- Nancy Piatt b: 1829 (or 1828) Boone Co, KY d: 16 Sep 1856 m: 12 Feb 1850 Boone Co, KY, (by T C Scott; bond by James Casey, Dewitt Collins and George Hamilton) Milton Hamilton b: 1819 d: 1903
- Lizzie Hamilton b: 1851 m: 1868 Thomas Henry Allen b: 1845
- Lucille Allen b: Georgetown, KY m: R W Keene (Lucille's DAR ID Number: 103229)
- Lucy Piatt b: c1832 in Boone Co, KY m: 10 Aug 1853 Boone Co, KY
Thomas J Weathers
- Jemima Piatt b: c1834 in KY d: 13 Aug 1856
- Elizabeth Piatt b: 27 Feb 1836 East Bend, Boone Co, KY d: 23 Sep 1914 at the home of her daughter, Mima Godley Starr, Vine Hill, MN (buried Lakewood cemetery, Minneapolis, MN) m: 1 May 1855 Boone Co, KY Augustus Godley b: 17 Jul 1826 Harrison, Hamilton Co, OH d: 21 Jul 1877 Brooklyn Center, Hennepin Co, MN (buried Lakewood Cemetery, Minneapolis, MN) (notes: 1870 MN census Augusta's parents John and Mary Godley are living with them. 1880 MN census Elizabeth lists F. W. Starr as sister-in-law; Mina P Godley dau age 21 born OH (witness to marriage of Franklin Lewis & Katharine Godley in 1889); Augusta M Godley ?d.s. age 1 born MN; John E. bo age 20 born New York.)
- William C Piatt b: c1838 in KY m: Sally Anderson
- Asael Daniel Piatt b: 14 Jan 1841 (or 1840) in KY d: 13 Dec 1915 Payne's Depot, Scott Co, KY m: 1867 Elizabeth Collier Payne (d/o Augustus and Elizabeth Collier Payne) b: 28 Jan 1848 Fayette Co, KY d: 29 Apr 1934 Scott Co, KY
- Harriett Piatt b: c1842 in KY m: C Barnett
Other Piatt living nearby include:
Piatt, Rob't 1m10-15; 1m50-60; 1f50-60; 3m(sl)0-10; 1m(sl)24-36; 1m(sl)36-55; 3f(sl)0-10; 4f(sl)10-24; 2f(sl)24-36 (pg 268)
Piatt, Ab'm S 1m<5; 1m20-30; 1f<5' 1f5-10; 1f20-30; 1m(sl)10-24; 1f(sl)10-24 ( pg 264)
Piatt, Jacob 1m10-15; 1m80-90; 1f10-15; 1f60-70; 1m(sl)55-100; (two free blacks?) ( pg 264)
Piatt, John pg 272 (From index only)
- Piatt, Daniel pg 245 # 487 (from index only)
Piatt, Johnson W. 1m<5; 1m30-40; 1f<5; 1f5-10; 1f30-40; 1f(sl)10-24 (pg 265)
Go to 1830 Boone Co, KY Federal Census on the US Genweb
Robert is Daniel's father; Ab'm S is his first cousin (son of Jacob); Jacob is his uncle; I am not certain who John and Johnson W Piatt are.
I do not have full abstracts from the 1840 census of Boone County, Kentucky.
Elizabeth died on June 20, 1843, and is buried in the East Bend Baptist Cemetery, Boone Co, Kentucky. Also buried in that cemetery with an inscription that says "second wife of Daniel Piatt" is Metbey Piatt who died June 20, 1845, at the age of 24y ?m 22d (born c1821). I have no doubt that with young children at home, Daniel would have wasted no time in finding another wife (possibly twice). This marriage would probably be easy to find (if it truly existed) between 1843 and 1845 in Boone County, KY.
Daniel is then known to have married Louisa Cleveland, widow of Mr.? Kennedy in Kenton County, Kentucky, on September 17, 1844. The marriage was performed by RK, bondsmand was Hiram Klette. Louisa was born 1811 in Kentucky.
Daniel and Louisa had the following children:
Daniel and Louisa appear as follows on the 1850 census of Boone County, Kentucky:
- Washington C Piatt b: 1846 KY m: Nannie Nichols
- Alice R Piatt b: 1849 Boone Co, KY
- Martha Frances Piatt b: 1853 in KY d: 11 Apr 1893 m: Benjamin Franklin/Frances Bedinger a Presbyterian minister and missionary (seven children)
Apparently, Louisa had three children from her first marriage.
- Piatt, Daniel / WM / age 48 born KY / Farmer / $19000
- Piatt, Louisa / WF / age 38 born KY
- Piatt, Lucy / WF / age 18 born KY
- Piatt, Jemima / WF / age 16 born KY
- Piatt, Elizabeth / WF / age 14 born KY
- Piatt, William / WM / age 12 born KY
- Piatt, Asael / WM / age 10 born KY
- Piatt, Harriett / WF / age 8 born KY
- Piatt, Washington / WM / age 4 born KY
- Piatt, Alice R / WF / age 10/12 born KY
- Kennedy, Moiva / WF / age 17 born KY
- Kennedy, Mary J / WF / age 15 born KY
- Kennedy, Louisa F /WF / age 12 born KY (This family enumerated #70 on page 242 lines 22 thru 34 on Aug 30, 1850)
Daniel and Louisa appear as follows on the 1860 census of Union Precinct, Boone County, Kentucky:
Daniel and family appeared as follows on the 1870 census of Boone County (Union Precinct), KY:
Piatt, Daniel age 69 born KY / Farmer / $10,000/$ / 1500 Piatt, Louisa (wife) age 57 born KY / Keeping House y
Piatt, Alice (daughter) age 21 born KY Piatt, ---Martha (daughter) age 17 born KY (This family enumerated pg 254? line 33)
- Piatt, Daniel age 58 / M / Farmer / $15000/$5300 / born in Kentucky
- Piatt, Louisa age 47 / F / born in Kentucky
- Piatt, William C age 22 / M / born in Kentucky (attended school)
- Piatt, Asael D age 20 / M / born in Kentucky (attended school)
- Piatt, Harriett age 18 / F / born in Kentucky (attended school)
- Piatt, Washington C age 14 / M / Kentucky (attended school)
- Piatt, Alice R age 10 / F / born in Kentucky (attended school)
- Piatt, Martha F age 7 / F / born in Kentucky (attended school)
- Bow, Ferdinand age 45 / M / farm hand / born in Hanover (This family enumerated on pages 180/181).
They appeared as follows on the 1880 census of
Boone County, KY:
Daniel died in 1887, in Jefferson County, Kentucky.
- Piatt, Daniel age 78 born KY / Retired Farmer / father born NJ / mother born KY
- Piatt, Louisa (wife) age 67 born KY / Keeping House / Father/Mother born VA
- Piatt, A. R. (daughter) age 29 born KY / Father/Mother born KY (this family enumerated 28/7/40)
Asael's daughter Julia was born in 1879, and died in 1962. She was called JuJu, and lived with her husband Andrew STEELE on the STEELE family farm, Fertile Fields, in Fayette Co, KY. It was at the intersection of the Old Frankfort Pike and the Yarnalton Pike.
Research To-Do list:
- Christine Piatt firstname.lastname@example.org
- Marriage records of Kentucky
- 1850/1860 Boone Co, KY federal census
- Abstract Daniel on the 1840 census
- Resolve Daniel's place of death and burial location
- Abstract Nancy & Milton Hamilton 1850-? Boone Co, KY, census
- Abstract Lucy & Thomas J Weathers 1860-? Boone Co, KY, census
- Locate inscription for Jemima Piatt headstone
- Locate Elizabeth & Augustus Godley 1860 Boone Co, KY; 1870-1880 MN
Updated Jul 2003
Back to Home
To Robert Piatt and Nancy Jones Page