Isaac and E Hannah Piatt Armfield
Elizabeth Hannah Piatt was born July 31, 1828, in Canton, Hamilton Co, Ohio. Her parents were Moses and Jane Smith Piatt from Virginia. Hannah died December 27, 1914, in Portland, Oregan. She was married December 22, 1851 in Hamilton County, Indiana, to Isaac Armfield, who was born c1814 in Guilford County, North Carolina, to Jacob and Ann Stevenson Armfield. Isaac died July 18, 1886, Grant Co, Wisconsin.
The marriage license of Hannah Peatt (as was indexed) and Isaac Armfield is abstracted from Book 1, pg 42 Hamilton County, Indiana as follows:
Hannah Piatt resident of Hamilton County, Indiana, of lawful age and Isaac Armfield of lawful age. Proved by affidavit of Peter Case with Daniel R Brown clerk of the Circuit Court, Noblesville and the minister's return (24 Dec 1851) by William W Boyden 22 Dec 1851. She was his second wife.
Isaac and Hannah had the following known children:
On the 1910 census of Minneapolis, MN, Elizabeth 'Hannah' Armfield was living with her daughter and son-in-law, Florence and Frank Williams. On this census, Hannah gives her birthplace as Ohio and that of her parents as Virginia - which bears out the Moses and Jane Piatt theory.
- Alfred Armfield
- Orville Prescott Boyden Armfield b: 18 Feb 1857, Highland, Iowa, WI d: 13 Feb 1917, East Portland, OR (buried Rose Hill Cemetery in East Portland, OR) m: Jennifer "Jennie" Thomas b:
14 Sep 1859, Wales
- Stella Armfield b: 1872
- Nettie Joy Armfield b: 26 Aug 1884
- Harley Harrison Armfield 15 Nov 1888
- Tilman Monroe Armfield
- Samantha May Armfield
- Sara Ella Armfield
- Florence Armfield b: May 1869 Montford, Grant Co, WI d: Jan 4, 1913 Minneapolis, Minnesota m: 29 Jun 1887 Janesville, WI, Frank Pierce Williams b: 1870 Janesville, WI d: 22 Feb 1942 Omaha, NE s/o Robert Williams and Harriet Travis/Parker
Florence Armfield was born May 1869 in Montford, Grant Co, WI and died January 4, 1913 Minneapolis, Minnesota. She married 29 Jun 1887 Janesville, WI, Frank Pierce Williams who was born 1870 Janesville, WI and died 22 Feb 1942 Omaha, NE. Frank was the son of Robert Williams and Harriet Parker Travis.
Frank and Florence had the following children:
- Bessie Maude Williams b: 18 Jun 1888 Janesville, WI d: Apr 1973 m: Frank Cecil Strickland
- Bert Williams b: April 1890, WI ( no other info)
- Fred A. Williams b: Feb 1893, KS (no other info)
Bessie Maude Williams was born June 18, 1888, in Janesville, Wisconsin, and died April 1973 in Aberdeen, Washington, and is buried in Tacoma, Washington, in a family plot. She married Frank Cecil Strickland who was born April 6, 1883, in Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, and who died December 17, 1951 in San Bernardino, California. Frank was the son of Frank Cantelo Strickland and Margaret Martin. Frank's Jr's father, Frank, was born June 15, 1853, in England to Richard Strickland, a saddler, born in England, and married January 11, 1853, at St. Mary's Church, Alverstoke, Hampshire, England, to Harriet Cantelo who was born 1827 on the Isle of Wight. Frank's Jr's mother, Margaret, was born 1853 Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, and died May 6, 1933, in West Chicago, Illinois. She was the daughter of Moses Dewitt Martin and Katherine Beckman. Moses was born April 19, 1835, Prescott, Canada, and died March 25, 1911, Rockford, Illinois. Katherine was born November 21, 1832, in Germany, and died in 1915.
Bessie and Frank Strickland's children (not in birth order):
Cantello Hewitt Strickland (as is the mistaken spelling on the birth
certificate) was born October 4, 1909 Minneapolis, MN, died March 19, 1943, killed in action WW2, during bombing, buried in Ugaslovia.
Cantelo married Lily Amanda Thorton, (went by name Lillian) born September 26, 1910, Pt. Gray, B.C., Canada, died October 29, 1993, in Gig Harbor, WA. Lilian's parents were Thomas Jacob Thornton born March 19 1882 (one source says, Blum or Cleburne) the death certificate says Fort Worth. Thomas died April 5, 1947, Los Angeles. Buried in Valhalla cemetery. I have not been able to find any more info on Thomas, my brick wall. He married Agnes Marie Strand who was born July 26, 1892, Stavanger, Norway, and died July 4, 1941, King Co. Her parents were Peter Strand born 1865, Throndhjem, Norway and Amanda
Peterson/Pederson born 1869 Bergen, Norway.
- Cantelo Hewitt Strickland b: 4 Oct 1909 Minneapolis, MN d: 19 Mar 1943
- Roy Strickland
- Beverly Strickland buried Tacoma, WA
- Jack Strickland buried Tacoma, WA
- Vivian Strickland d: young; buried Aberdeen/Tacoma, WA?
- Sylvia Strickland d: young; buried Aberdeen/Tacoma, WA?
Cantello and Lillian's children:
Lillian and Calvin Chase children:
- Anita Louise Strickland brn April 25, 1935, Aberdeen WA.
- Frances Cecil Strickland brn january 29, 1937
Lillian and Chester Ream children:
- Anita Acosta 511 S Brady Street; Ridgecrest, CA 93555; 760-375-4680; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Registration of Marriages Rock Co, WI, microfilm #1275710, item #1
- Hannah Armfield death certificate
Updated Apr 2004
Back to Home