Author's Note: I don't usually do omakes or notes for Guardian, because frankly there are going to be too many bloody chapters for me to bother, but I felt it necessary to include a note concerning a matter that several people have informed me of, which I very much appreciate and is simply a response to my story that shows a level of deep respect and artificial immersion that I'm utterly baffled by.
This matter involves Hunter, the zergling, who, in chapter 14, came under assault from machine gun fire and took an RPG to the side with little ill effect. Two people expressed reasonable protest for fear that I was "overpowering" Hunter, and another, through an ff.net review, expressed the opinion that he was "invincible".
Here's my reasoning of the subject: a zergling, in its original Starcraft environment (which is very awesome, by the way, and I sincerely hope that you all mail Blizzard huge sums of money so that they don't have to give their series to some hack takeover company) routinely battles the Terrans, who use futuristic approximations of today's weapons (sort of). For example, a Terran marine, who is a heavily armored foot soldier, can only stand up to a zergling with an "armor-piercing gauss cannon" which, if you look at a full-body pic, is like the same size as a vaccuum cleaner. Armed with this weapon, a marine can kill a zergling (without upgrades) before it manages to completely rip apart the marine.
Given the obvious advantage this weapon must have over present-day arms (especially as it has been known to break through shields and massive, heavily armored spacecraft!), I made the assumption that the outdated munitions of the larger Freedom Angel arsenal would be largely ineffective.
As for the RPG, think of it this way: a zergling can suffer a single blast from a siege tank in normal mode without dying. The tank sports a heavy, double-barreled turret, and you just KNOW they've got some kind of super-special space-age tech behind their tank shells.
Then, I thought back to footage I watched about the recent Iraq war, and specifically about the black char marks I had seen on tanks' exteriors. Apparently an RPG round of terrorist-obtainable quality does about the same kind of damage to modern-day tank armor that a match does to a block of concrete. I simply applied that comparison to Hunter's own advanced armor, and deduced that while the impact would hurt, the round would have no penetration.

Guardian
A Ranma 1/2 fanfiction
by Black Dragon

*Lemon warning*! In addition to containing gratuitous levels of blood, gore, stupidity and dumb pop-culture references, this fanfiction also might contain explicit sexual content that will be described in an extremely graphic manner. Anybody who has any sort of moral decency will close their internet browsers right now! All of you who only pretend to have moral decency, however, may now spend a moment to take a good look around and make sure nobody's reading over your shoulder before you go back to reading. Guardian
Chapter 15
The Calm Before the Storm

**********************************************************************************

Ranma sighed wearily as he approached his house, walking like his feet were made of lead.
He had gone through a rough day; Core orientation had turned into active goofing off, and that had turned into a serious battle situation when the city had been attacked by giant mecha. Many people had died, and to top everything off, he hadn't seen Hunter since the zergling ran off in the middle of the engagement.
"Oh man... and who knows how badly I'm gonna get chewed out tomorrow..." Ranma mumbled.
Then he froze as he glanced at the splintered remains of the front door to his house, which looked to have been smashed through. "The hell?!"
Ranma dashed up to his home, and then poked his head inside, expecting to see a burglar with a hatchet carting out his belongings.
Instead, he breathed a sigh of relief as he saw Hunter crouched down in his living room, gnawing on something.
"Oh! THERE you are! Where did you... hey, what happened?" Ranma blinked as he realized that one side of the pet zergling had a large blood stain, and that the area was pockmarked with little holes.
Greatly concerned, the pigtailed soldier walked over and observed Hunter's armor carefully. The holes were cut along the length of Hunter's carapace, and Ranma could tell that the wound had obviously come from a machine gun of some sort that had sprayed across one side of the zergling. But what was odd was that the holes were smaller than the rings that were formed by the dried zergling blood. As if they had gotten much smaller...
"Fast healer, eh?" Ranma muttered, rubbing his chin. Then he patted Hunter on the back. "You gonna be okay, big guy?"
*Snap!* *Grind* *Crrrnch*
Frowning, Ranma looked over to get a better look at just what Hunter was chewing on.
It looked like a machine gun, except that the tail end had a bunch of bloody wires and cylinders poking out of it that indicated it had once been connected to something larger.
Bending down, Ranma also noted that there were bits of brown cloth stuck to the wires. "Weird... but, whatever."
Opting to fix the front door tomorrow, Ranma headed straight to his room while taking off his jacket.
Opening the door, he immediately stepped to the side as a hail of shuriken cut through the space he had occupied just a moment before.
Sighing, Ranma dropped his jacket onto the floor and entered his room, cracking his knuckles as he went. "Stupid Ninja..."
__________________________________________________________________________________

The following day...

"Are you sure? He never came out?" Bei grit her teeth, and the grip around her cellular phone tightened such that the plastic case threatened to crack open. "How many Ninja does it take to kill one man?! He doesn't even have a security system!"
Alexandra shook her head in exasperation as she strode down the hall, her frustrated assistant trailing behind her.
"Well, is the target dead? Are you sure?! I thought you said you could pull this off!" Listening for a few more moments, the young woman became absolutely livid with anger, and it was all she could to simply turn the phone off rather than throwing it against the wall. "Dammit!"
Alex sweatdropped and shook her head. "Bei, really, calm down. I understand how frustrating it can be, but you have to allow for setbacks, even in an operation so simple as killing a certain unguarded enemy."
Bei quickly nodded, taking deep breaths to try and stem her anger. "Yes... of course, Miss Tokima. I'm sorry I let you down again."
Alex shrugged it off. "I really don't know why you insist on trying to kill that poor sap anyway. He's not part of the DAPC anymore; he won't be any threat to us."
Bei looked conflicted for a moment, then sighed miserably.
Alexandra continued walking down the hall toward her destination, wondering what else, if anything, she should say to her assistant. It was nice to see the girl was so loyal, but her recent efforts bordered on wasteful.
"I heard that Igov returned from his raid in a somewhat melancholy mood," Alex said suddenly, changing the subject.
Bei blinked, then nodded. "Yes. Not surprising really."
As Alexandra turned the knob of the door she was entering, she looked back at her assistant with a raised eyebrow. "Oh? Why not?"
"Well, his new units were somehow destroyed in the field. Worse yet, we're not sure what destroyed them, or how far they got before they were destroyed, so we don't have any reliable data as to the Prometheus' strengths and weaknesses."
Nodding distractedly, Alex pushed through the door and then turned her head to face forward again. Then she froze, and her eyes widened.
Bei sweatdropped. "And then, of course, there's his arm."
Sure enough, Igov Yutchzky sat in the middle of the strategy room, facing away from the door, and sitting on a stool with a deep contemplative look that was tainted only by the fact that his left arm had apparently been ripped off at the elbow. Blood and various other fluids had dried over the torn wires and hoses, though the Russian seemed to be completely ignoring the rather serious-looking wound.
Lowering her voice, Alex tilted her head toward Bei. "What happened?"
The shorter woman shrugged helplessly. "Nobody knows, and General Yutchzky just says that he doesn't want to talk about it whenever somebody asks."
Both women straightened as the Russian heaved a sigh, and then turned around as he stood up.
"Ah, Miss Alexandra. Is good to see you. Igov has much to discuss." The general was frowning deeply at this, and rubbing his chin with his remaining hand.
Alex composed herself, and nodded. "Yes, we do. But first allow me to congratulate you on completing your mission objective, despite the losses suffered during your first major operation."
Igov stared at her expressionlessly. "............ Forgive me. My Japanese still bad. What you say?"
Alex patiently repeated her statement slowly. "You have done a good job. You accomplished your mission. I'm sorry for your losses."
Igov frowned again. "Mission objective include capture of technology exposition research projects. The convoy that was sent to capture technology turn back, mostly destroyed. What this then?"
Bei and Alexandra both blinked in surprise. "What? But the projects have already been set up in your labs for testing! I saw to it myself!" Alex insisted, mildly worried.
Bei looked at her boss, then at Igov. "Well... if neither of you captured the projects... but they're definitely here... then that means SOMEBODY must have run an alternate operation."
Alexandra frowned. "Apparently. But who?"
*Creak* The slight sound of the door opening pierced the silence that followed the question. The silence was then further battered and cast aside as a quick succession of electronic noises floated into the room.
*Bleep* *Bleep* *Ding* *Bleep* *Doo-doo-doo-doo-doo* *Ding* *Ding*
The three present occupants of the room slowly turned their heads toward the entrance.
*Ding* *Ding* *Bleep* Yoshi Konta strode slowly into the room, his head down, staring in deep concentration at a small plastic screen that was attached to a larger fold-out pad, which he was manipulating with great speed and dexterity. On the back was a long emblem with [Nintento] etched into it.
Alexandra's left eye began to twitch sporadically.
*Ding* *Bleep* *Cho-cho-cho!* "Gah!" The diminutive scientist began to panic and pressed the buttons a great deal faster, showing a kind of concern and commitment to action that he had never bothered to put into his work.
*Bleep* *Bleep* *Dum dee dum dee dum dum, dee-dum, DUM!* *Oh, mama mia!* "Blast! What idiot came up with the idea of giving turtles wings anyway?! What kind of a hybrid is that?! Annoying little bastards..."
Alex's eyebrow twitch seemed to spread to her entire left arm. "Konta..."
Shaking his head in frustration, Yoshi snapped the machine closed and inserted the device into his pocket. "The prototypes are looking good. Lengthened battery life, improved screen size, and it's nice to have a headphone jack again." He turned toward Alex, scratching his chin. "You know, it really is ingenious. They release hit games a decade ago, and then when their devices have more power, they touch up the graphics and release the same items again." He frowned. "You should mention that to Wraith's marketing staff. Just think if we can get people to pay for outdated, cheaply manufactured chemical products!"
"I have far more important concerns for the moment!" Alex said harshly, gritting her teeth. "And you stride into a meeting you weren't invited to while playing some damn game!"
Yoshi shrugged. "Well, all this killing and warring is nice and all, but I think that every once in a while it's fun to try doing it through a medium where you don't have to worry about being arrested or shot. All work and no play, and so on." Then he smirked. "And I thought you would appreciate a contribution of intelligence, which is why I invited myself to your informal little get-together."
"Igov assumes it was you, then, who secured technology shipment?" The Russian asked bluntly, staring expressionlessly at the scientist.
Yoshi nodded. "Yes. I've also made up blueprints from my own work, so you may do as you please with what I've provided." Then he stopped, and then patted his pocket. "Well, except for this. You don't mind if I keep it, right?"
Alex knew that Igov wasn't going to dignify such a question with an answer, so she went ahead and asked her own question. "Konta, do you have authorization to go ordering about field operations without letting any of the generals know?"
Yoshi bent over slightly and made to stifle a laugh. "Oh, come now! Alex, given the apparent results, do you really think a lecture is in order?" He shook his head and smiled. "We have redundant commanders so that we can achieve our objectives despite surprise circumstances! And if we must conform to such laborious bureaucracies as the chain of command, then we lose one of our greatest advantages against the oppressive fascists."
Before Alex could reply, the diminutive man turned toward Igov. "And on a most likely related note, what the HELL happened to your arm?"
The general turned away, his expression slightly bitter. "I believe one of your projects that would not be so easily contained is on loose. This is why I prefer machine; has no will of of own."
Yoshi blinked, honestly confused. "What? One of my projects? Are you sure?"
Igov waved his remaining hand. "Is of no importance. Never mind."
"Do you want me to help make you another one?"
"Would appreciate some assistance. You seem to have flair for such things."
Sweatdropping, Bei turned toward her boss. "Well, they seem to be getting along better now, huh?" She began to chuckle, and then trailed off weakly as Alexandra frowned.
"Of course, of course," Yoshi adjusted his glasses, then clasped his hands behind his back. "I'll get to work on it immediately."
Igov nodded. "We not always get along, but is good to remember we comrades. Igov could come to appreciate your... what is word... 'unconventional' intellect."
Yoshi smiled brightly. "Ah, well, I do try."
The Russian general stood up and cracked his neck to either side (which generated a sound quite similar to a wind-up toy being cranked). "Very well, then. Igov should return to dock factories. The first two prototype warship almost complete."
Alex raised an eyebrow. "Already?"
Igov nodded. "Was able to acquire many good factory unit for construction. You Japanese have made excellent advances in field of robotics." He grinned. "Mother Russia always so concerned with nuclear technology. Is wasteful, yes?"
Alexandra, for her part, began to scratch her chin. "Oh, I don't know. Just think of what we could accomplish with a nuclear weapon..."
Bei sweatdropped heavily, and Yoshi made a discrete gesture that involved twirling his finger around his ear.
"Is not important," the Russian insisted, "am putting finishing touches on weapons now and adding vital systems. Will have the units ready soon, though larger armament is problematic."
Alex shrugged helplessly. "Even small ballistic missiles with conventional-detonation warheads are too difficult to obtain, and with how drained our current facilities are simply constructing your prototype guns and the Devastator-class boomers, we don't have the equipment and resources for yet another session of retrofitting, if we can avoid it. We CAN build some, but it will take far more time than you've allowed for."
Igov shrugged. "Will make do without, then. The power of Vortex submarine will CRUSH the meager Japanese navy!" His remaining hand curled into a clenched fist, and the cyborg grinned as he stalked from the room, leaking a few droplets of various substances from the shredded remains of his lost appendage.

Yoshi hummed to himself as the door closed behind the Russian, and then smiled pleasantly at Alexandra.
She frowned. "So why are YOU still here?"
The geneticist blinked. "Don't you remember? I said I had intel to share."
Alex turned away and started looking over a map on the far wall of the room. "Is it good news?"
"......" Yoshi didn't say anything for a moment, then took some photos out of his back pocket. "No, not really."
"Then give it to Bei and leave. I don't need any more trouble from you." The commander snarled, her arms crossed under her breasts.
Yoshi shrugged and placed the photos in the assistant's outstretched hand.
He smirked slightly when the girl's eyes widened upon seeing them, and turned away to head out. "Very well. In that case, I'll take my leave of you. Good da-" The diminutive scientist was cut off as somebody suddenly yanked the back of his lab coat and halted him on his way to the door.
Turning his head, he saw a red-faced Alexandra clutching the pictures that her assistant had practically thrown at her in one hand, and his coat in the other.
"And where do you think YOU'RE going?" Alex growled through clenched teeth. "What is this?! I want an explanation!"
Yoshi blinked. "But you told me to leave."
"AND NOW I'M TELLING YOU TO STAY, YOU LITTLE TOAD!!" She screamed, waving the hand with the pictures in front of his face. "Explain these! Ranma Saotome and Kyle Tekai, assaulting Prometheus mechs?! I thought they were fired!"
"Well, actually, they were," Yoshi explained, dusting off his coat as he turned around. "But you know, a man with Saotome's abilities is a valuable asset to a commander who would recognize them, and, well, Kyle is the Colonel's son." He shrugged at that. "No big deal, really. That's how your friend Yujikata got in, and his father wasn't even actually part of Core."
Alex growled as she stared at the photo, taken at an unusual angle, of Ranma lobbing some sort of grenades at the mighty war machine. "Are you telling me THEY destroyed Igov's assault mecha?!"
"Not by themselves," Yoshi corrected. "Look at the last picture."
Frowning, Alex did so, and she clenched her teeth again as she caught sight of a trench coat flap peeking out behind a tree (doubtlessly providing cover for the photographer), with the barrel of a huge gun firing off to the side.
"Well... at least we expected the POSSIBILITY of interference from Shikodan," Alex muttered irritably, tossing those photographs showing the crusader onto the table in the center of the room. "But I will NOT tolerate such interference from those damnable DAPC agents after we took such care to dismantle them!"
Yoshi rolled his eyes, which did nothing to alleviate Alexandra's fury. "So just have your pet Core soldier kill them, then. Really..."
"Don't you take that tone with me, you lit-" Alex stopped reprimanding him as something suddenly occurred to her. "Wait a minute! How do you know about Yujikata?"
"A LOT of people know about Yujikata," Yoshi deadpanned, "including the Catholic fellow. I honestly can't imagine how word hasn't reached his superiors yet. He's not what any would call a competent double-agent."
Alexandra nodded reluctantly. That was quite true. "Still, I want to know exactly how you came upon this intel!"
"Ah," Yoshi muttered, chewing on his lower lip, "I'm afraid I can't do that. The more people know about a secret agent, the less secret he is, you know."
"I'm your commanding officer!" Alexandra yelled, slamming her hand down on the table. "If your 'secret agent' can further the cause of the Freedom's Angels, then you MUST hand his command over to me."
Yoshi stared at her for a moment, then sighed deeply. "Well, if you insist..."
Alex smirked and nodded sharply.
"... Then I'm afraid the answer is still no."
*Thud!* Bei sweatdropped as Alex fell over.
For once, Yoshi's devil-may-care grin was converted into an honest frown. "I have a responsibility to you, Wraith Laboratories, and the Freedom's Angels. However, there are certain resources I cannot afford to compromise so that they will aid you better."
Alex gripped the edge of the table and hauled her body up, scowling fiercely. "Don't you DARE talk to me like that! You are under MY command, and I COMMAND you to reveal your intelligence resources to me!"
Yoshi's frown deepened, and he turned his head away sharply, causing both Alex and her assistant to blink in surprise at the gesture.
"Well, if you're going to be like THAT, then I won't tell you about my new cloning project. Good day!"
The way the diminutive man walked out of the briefing room in a huff was so ridiculously juvenile, and so fully undignified for a renowned scientist, that neither woman thought to stop him until a few critical moments after he had left.
"Hey! Wait! You little prick! Get back here!" Alexandra yelled, sprinting after the little man in a manner totally unbefitting of a corporate president.
Bei sweatdropped as she watched the doors close, then looked back down at the stack of photos.
Then she picked it up and started leafing through them, before arriving at one picture that had her eyebrow climbing her forehead.
"Ken Yakata's working in retail? I can't imagine that's working out well."
__________________________________________________________________________________

"Now, before I ring up your purchase of cigarettes," Snake began, holding up the plastic-wrapped box in front of the man before the counter, "I would like to ask if you've ever read the warning on the side of the box? The one about cancer and stuff?"
The customer frowned. "Yes. So? I'm not worried about that."
Snake nodded mutely, pursing his lips as he stared at the carton in his hand. "I see." Then he put the carton down on the counter, and reached under the cash register.
*Cha-chak!* The customer's eyes widened as Snake cocked an automatic shotgun and leveled it at his chest, and the man froze in absolute terror.
"Then please consider this: the blast from this 12 gauge Pancor Jackhammer aimed right at your chest would result in an almost painless and instantaneous death, and I would then be arrested and punished for doing such a thing to you." He tipped the barrel down at the cigarette carton. "These cigarettes will inevitably, barring other causes of death such as freak accidents, result in a slow, painful demise by cancer or tar buildup or something, creating an unfair burden upon the government-assisted medical industry that MY tax dollars pay for, that will, ultimately, be unable to adequately extend your life of suffering. In addition, the cretins responsible for the sale and marketing of these items will go unpunished for knowingly selling addictive sticks of poison to you." Seeing that the man still hadn't unfrozen at all, Snake added, "Think about it."
Rather than thinking about it, the man stumbled backwards, then made a mad dash for the exit, trying his best not to scream.
Snake smirked as the door closed behind the retreating customer. "Ha! Hey, this job 'aint half bad, eh Tycho?"
*Sssssh* Tycho didn't respond, because his head was tilted back under the slushie machine such that the flavored ice flowed straight into his mouth.
*Sssssssssh* *Gulp* "WHOA!! M-M-MEGA B-BRAIN FREEZE!!"
__________________________________________________________________________________

Yujikata calmed himself as he stared his superior in the eyes, and spoke slowly and deliberately, trying not to let his frustration and anger show.
"Colonel, I KNOW he's your son, but him and that Saotome pri-er-fellow CANNOT be allowed to get away with what they've done!"
Umezeki Tekai bit his lip as the sergeant went on to list the men's crimes, obviously bored out of his mind.
"Destruction of military property, unauthorized usage of vehicles, insubordination, failure to obey direct orders-" The man looked like he was about to go on when the door opened behind him, and a feminine voice interrupted his tirade.
"Not only that, but they destroyed the car they stole, too," Mia said pleasantly, strolling past Yujikata and dropping a file onto Umezeki's desk.
The blond man smiled at the new arrival. "Hi Mia! How are you feeling? I heard you ran into some trouble last mission."
She sighed. "Oh, I'm okay. Better than many of my men, anyway. I have funerals to attend tomorrow, and at different times later this month. It really is the worst part of this job." Her somber look slowly cleared up. "But enough of that. We DID win, after all. How have you been?"
Yujikata seethed slightly as the two Colonels began to exchange pleasantries, acting as if he wasn't in the room presenting a complaint. *Ahem!* "Colonel, may I-"
Mia immediately waved off whatever he was going to say, and took a seat on the edge of Umezeki's desk. "I've heard about your complaints about Saotome and Private Tekai, Yujikata. So what are you proposing we do about it?"
The sergeant frowned. What did she mean by that? If she knew what they had done, the punishment was obvious. "Well, FIRST they need to be court-martialed. Then we can press the proper charges for what they've done. If all goes well, we can have them behind bars in a week." He grinned, expected the superior officers to see the advantage of such a plan.
Instead, Mia simply nodded absently, then slapped a photo on the desk next to her. "Tell me Sergeant, do you know what that is?"
The traitor did his best to feign surprise and ignorance as he looked at the image of a Prometheus mech in the picture. "N-No! What is that thing?!"
Luckily for him, Mia was assuming he didn't, and thus wasn't watching for unusual behavior. "Parts from the scattered machines that we've sent to the labs have revealed several engravings in various compartments that indicate that the mech is called a 'Prometheus'. The engraved instructions and warnings on various components were written in Russian. Meaning that, in all likelihood, they're products of Igov Yutchzky's forces." She looked back at the sergeant a bit lazily. "These war machines exceed the heavy battlefield capability of anything Core possesses. Post-conflict intelligence has informed me that there were five of these units attacking a non-military target away from the battlefield at which we were engaged."
Yujikata frowned again. She made it seem like they had actually managed to take down a few of them. But that was impossible. He had led a majority of their forces to the front with the FA's, and if any of Core's forces or other military units had engaged the Prometheus mecha, he would have heard about it. Of course, he hadn't been contacted by the Freedom's Angels either, so all he had to go on was Core's intelligence for the moment.
"Colonel, what does this have to do with the two bit-uh, the men that I was talking about?" Yujikata asked, somewhat impatiently.
The sergeant nearly gnashed his teeth when Mia turned away from him.
"Umezeki, could you get me a soda please?" She smiled pleasantly at the man as he nodded and reached into the ice chest next to his desk. While she had absolutely no respect for her fellow Colonel as a military leader, Umezeki was simply too friendly and amusing for her to dislike, and she was actually good friends with the man.
"Root beer okay?"
"Perfect. Thank you." The brunette popped the cap on the soda and started to chug it down. Meanwhile, Umezeki looked down at the photos.
"Hey! Kyle's in this one! And his friend Ranma!"
Yujikata almost gaped, and immediately snatched the pictures away, forgetting himself in the midst of his surprise. "What the hell?! What were those assholes doing... huh? What is this?!"
Mia frowned at the man as she lowered the soda can from her lips. "Sergeant, please keep your position in mind when you speak. There's no need for absolute formality, but keep it civil."
The traitorous soldier shook slightly, trying to contain his frustration. 'I have soldiers stealing and destroying stuff, and pictures of them fighting gigantic robots, and SHE'S worried about my language?!'
Umezeki, somewhat put off that the photo he had was taken, picked up the next one. Then he cocked his head to the side. "That's weird. What's this big black spot in this picture?" The photo showed a nebulous cloud of shadow imposed over a somewhat warped image of a Prometheus. Off to the side was Ranma, who was shielding himself in front of Kyle.
Mia shrugged. "We're not sure what that is. I'll ask Private Saotome when I speak with him later today."
Yujikata frowned deeply. "What is all this? What were they doing?"
The brunette couldn't help but smirk. "While you were doing your best to make a mess of things near the prison, Ranma and Kyle dispatched the Prometheus units by themselves." That wasn't entirely true, of course. She doubted that Kyle had done much except watch, as he seemed far less potent in that sort of situation. Furthermore, she had also come across information about a man in a trench coat fighting the mecha as well. By the time she had organized all the information from the various civilians who had caught glimpses of the battle from where they were hiding, she was sure that Rayden Shikodan had also helped with the mission. But that was a more sensitive issue, and not for Yujikata to be bothered with.
"Th-They... they destroyed them? Seriously?" He looked up at his busty superior. "But how? When? Are they still alive?"
Mia decided to answer his last question first. "Yes, they are. In fact, when last I checked they entered headquarters right before I stopped by here." Then she shrugged. "As for how and when, I don't know precisely, but I've collected enough information to know that they did." Then she smiled. "Perhaps you should ask them yourself. Maybe you could learn a thing or two."
Seeing the man bristle, her expression turned somewhat more serious. "But really, there's no telling how many lives they saved yesterday; as it is the enemy mecha killed several civilians and military personnel, and intelligence indicates that many of them were intercepted before they had even reached their targets."
Then she smiled again. "In light of this fantastic display of bravery and ability, I'm personally going to withhold any assistance in punishing them for minor infractions."
Yujikata started trembling again. "Stealing and destroying one of my vehicles is a 'minor infraction'?!" Clenching his hand into fists, he continued. "DESPITE their apparent ability, it's no excuse for such flagrant irresponsibility and contempt for authority!"
Umezeki blinked. "Sure it is."
*Thump!* Yujikata fell onto the carpeted floor face-first, and Mia sweatdropped.
"Well, as long as it's not MY authority," Umezeki reasoned, shrugging his shoulders. "And besides, right now good soldiers are more important than disciplined soldiers, right? These constant battles with the Freedom's Angels have only gotten worse, and our application rate has dropped as our fatality rates keep rising."
"B-But, we can't-you c-can't just-w-we have to-!" The sergeant began stuttering before Mia cut him off.
"I don't entirely agree with Colonel Tekai, but for the most part he's right." She smirked at the sergeant. "So if you think that Private Tekai and Saotome have problems with discipline and authority, I'm leaving it up to you to solve them."
"M-M-ME?!" Yujikata shouted, recoiling.
Mia expression darkened. "Yes. You. Are you somehow surprised that maintaining basic discipline among the troops is a sergeant's responsibility?"
The man twitched for a moment, then turned toward Umezeki. "Sir, permission to speak freely?"
Umezeki thought about it. "... Nah."
Mia tried to keep from laughing outright as Yujikata glared at him silently.
The blond Colonel finally rolled his eyes. "All right, all right, fine. Go ahead."
"I have reason to believe that these two men are receiving special attention because Private Tekai is your son, Colonel," Yujikata said, in as close an approximation to respectful criticism as his voice could manage, "I cannot allow soldiers to get away with this sort of behavior, no matter who they're related to, or who their friends are related to!"
Mia stared for a moment, then shrugged. "Then DON'T. We didn't say you couldn't punish them, just don't bother us about it." She stood off the desk and stretched, glad that Yujikata was too busy massaging his forehead to ogle her at that moment. "You knew that they used to work for the Department of Abnormal Phenomenae Containment; you should have prepared to make the differences in procedure clear to them."
"If we KNEW they were going to have discipline problems, WHY did we accept them in the first place?" Yujikata growled.
Mia smirked. She knew it was primarily favoritism, on both her part and Umezeki's (she always did have a soft spot for heroic types), but she wasn't about to let this dolt know that.
"Don't be an idiot. They have ten times more experience fighting mutations and robots than everyone in every other military organization in Japan put together. If my influence had stretched far enough, I would have had them all accepted into Core. As it was, we took what we could get."
Yujikata sulked and was about to protest once again, when Umezeki started chuckling to himself.
Mia raised an eyebrow. "What's so funny?"
*Snicker* "Oh, I was just thinking, you know, about what you said about Kyle getting special treatment," he pointed at Yujikata, "I mean, didn't YOU get your job because your dad, the senator, blackmailed Remerick?"
As Mia snorted trying to contain a laugh, Yujikata quietly seethed, now completely regretting ever approaching his superior officers.
"P-Permission to leave, SIR," the sergeant spat, almost mockingly.
Umezeki wasn't the type to let a jerk bother him so easily, however, and waved the man out. "Go ahead. You've got work to do."
The sergeant promptly twisted around and briskly walked toward the office door, shoving it hard as he went.
*Wham!* Mia and Umezeki raised their respective eyebrows as the door neglected to give way from direct pressure, causing the sergeant to slam into it face-first.
"Try the knob," Umezeki supplied helpfully. It was his job to lead his subordinates, after all.
Openly grating his teeth, Yujikata twisted the doorknob roughly and darted out of the office, slamming the door behind him.

"Well, someone's in a bad mood," Mia surmised, smirking. It was always fun to remind Yujikata of exactly why he was where he was in the ranks, and she had no qualms about simply pissing him off, either.
Umezeki turned toward his fellow officer. "So, you're seriously not worried about Kyle and his friend? I was serious when I said I didn't care, but, I mean, you actually have to rely upon them..."
Mia shrugged. "Maybe I should be... but I'm not. If anything, Saotome has proven that he can be relied upon when it comes time to buckle down and get in the fray."
The blond nodded. "I suppose, yes..." Then he blinked. "What about Kyle?"
Mia sweatdropped. "Uh... well... Kyle is... uh..." she scratched her head nervously, trying to think of something to say that was vaguely positive-sounding. "Er... well... if... if he keeps following Ranma around, he should be okay," she finally spat out, still sweating a bit.
The male colonel shrugged. "Eh, I hope so. I was kind of worried when he was transferred to Core. It's not any more dangerous than being in the DAPC, and it's not like he can't fight better than he can do almost anything else, but, well..." he smiled somewhat in embarrassment and knocked on his head, "he's just not all there upstairs, if you know what I mean."
"Yes. Yes, I know exactly what you mean," Mia deadpanned.
"Oh well," Umezeki said, leaning back in his chair. "Anyway, you seem awfully interested in that Saotome guy. You got plans for him?"
"Oh, I've got some plans, all right," she said, winking at the other Colonel. "Wink wink, nudge nudge, hm?"
Umezeki looked surprised. "Fraternization? That doesn't seem like you..." Of course, Mia went on plenty of dates, as attractive as she was, but he had never seen her actively pursuing a man before, especially with such obviously carnal intentions.
The Colonel smirked and wagged a finger at the blond man. "What? Aren't I entitled to a fling or two?" Then she moved toward the door. "Besides, I DO owe him for saving me back on one of my espionage missions. It would be a... nice way to pay him back, don't you think?"
The man still looked surprised, though he sighed on the inside. Mia, as an officer, wasn't supposed to be undertaking solo espionage missions, and it was anybody's guess why Remerick allowed it. "So, what, you're really gonna start dating a subordinate?"
Mia fingered her lip for a moment in thought. "... Well... no, not really. I just thought I'd abuse my power as Saotome's superior to blackmail him and make him into my personal love slave, living only to satisfy my sexual desires, lest he be disgracefully discharged in utter humiliation."
Umezeki blinked. "............ Oh... Well, good luck with that."
"Thanks!" Mia smiled and walked out of the office, an extra spring in her step.
__________________________________________________________________________________

"Come ON! Come ON!! EXPLODE, DAMN YOU, EXPLODE!!!" *Poke* *Poke* *Poke* *Poke*
Kyle sweatdropped as he zipped up his jacket. "Ranma, seriously, stop jabbing your locker with your finger before you damage it even more." Then, after a moment, he added, "'It' being the locker, not your finger."
"It's okay, it's not actually my locker," Ranma responded, jabbing the metal box several more times, and adding several more small depressions to the number already covering the face of the door.
"Bakusai tenketsu!! Seriously! Bakusai tenketsu!! Bakusai tenketsu perfect!! SUPER bakusai tenketsu!! Goddamn it, why won't it work?!?!"
Kyle sighed and rolled his eyes, standing up as he patted down his uniform.
However, as Ranma continued to yell at the locker in frustration, Kyle's attention was unfocused enough that he heard a knock on the locker room door.
"Yes!?" Kyle asked loudly.
"Are you decent?" The person on the other side of the door asked.
Kyle frowned, and then turned to look at Ranma, whose shouting at the locker had degenerated into outright cursing.
"Technically!" He shouted.
Slightly puzzled, Mia opened the door and entered, her puzzlement increasing when she saw Ranma glaring violently at one of the tower lockers that lined one side of the room.
Kyle stood up and saluted. "Why did you want to meet us here, Ma'am?" He asked, genuinely curious. He hoped he wasn't going to get chewed out for his actions the previous day; even if Kyle didn't care too much about his own career, he knew it would end up causing his father a lot of humiliation.
Ranma grudgingly followed Kyle's example and saluted, trying to settle his frustration such that he didn't end up bothering the Colonel.
Mia smiled. "At ease, gentlemen."
"Awesome!" Kyle said happily, immediately opening the locker behind him, withdrawing a can of beer, and then opening it up. Ranma didn't say anything, instead simply lying down on one of the benches that were mounted next to the wall of lockers and looking up at the ceiling, as if in deep contemplation.
'Maybe Yujikata was right about their discipline...' Mia said, sweatdropping.
The Colonel cleared her throat, and both men hesitantly gave her their attention.
"I've called you here today first to congratulate you on your success in fighting the Prometheus mecha in the engagement yesterday. Though you two defied your commanding officer and were not available to be called upon when Core could have used you, there's no telling how many innocent lives were saved by your actions."
When she saw the looks of mild surprise that crossed both men's faces, Mia's expression turned more serious, and she crossed her arms under her breasts.
"However, just note that your opportune acts of heroism are the ONLY thing standing between you and an appropriately severe punishment at the moment." Her eyes narrowed slightly as she looked down at them. "So long as you end up saving countless lives EVERY time you decide to take an unauthorized joyride that ends with you insulting your CO and destroying Core's property, then we won't have any problems." Her expression twisted slightly into a somewhat malicious smirk. "If you don't think you can manage that, well, maybe it'd be better if you toned things down a bit, eh?"
Both men nodded. "Sure thing." "No problem, Ma'am."
Mia immediately frowned at their responses, used to getting more fear and nervousness from her lectured subordinates. In her experience, when men responded to her that calmly, it meant that they were either dismissing what she had said, or had spent the entire lecture staring at her cleavage. And she was fairly certain neither man had committed the second offense.
In truth, both Ranma and Kyle were sincere in their responses; it was just hard to find the brunette intimidating after one had crossed Asuka's path.
Mia sighed, dismissing it. "Well, if that's settled..." then she trailed off, looking at the locker Ranma had been practicing the breaking point technique on. "What in the... What happened to that thing?" If she remembered correctly, it had been the one that Ranma was glaring at, though she had been preoccupied enough thinking up her lecture that she hadn't noticed the container's state.
Ranma snorted and jabbed his thumb back at it. "I was just trying to get the locker to explode, that's all."
Mia sweatdropped. Heavily. "I...... I'm just going to pretend I didn't hear that."
"Fair enough," Kyle responded. "So, is that all?"
Mia nodded. "Yes. Private Tekai, you're dismissed. You will join unit B-7 on patrol in the industrial sectors uptown."
Kyle nodded and exited the room, muttering as he went. "I hope they don't expect me to drive... I've already had three of these..."
Mia twitched as the door closed behind her. "Okay then..."
Ranma blinked. "Uh... so, what? Did you want to speak to me alone or something?"
The Colonel rubbed her chin with her right hand, feeling her annoyance melt away as the pigtailed man waited casually for his orders.
There was just something... different about Ranma, something that set him leagues apart from the men she was used to dealing with. Just being alone in the room with him, she felt an aura of tightly controlled confidence and independence creep over her, telling her that if the man before him was to do what she said, it would be by his whim, and his whim alone. It was actually making her somewhat nervous, a sensation that she had never felt when facing down any man.
Finally, she smiled at him. "Saotome, you're going to spend the day with me. I have some... things to show you."
Ranma blinked, then grimaced slightly. 'Well, THAT could mean anything.' "Uh, sure. So, what's first?"
Not noticing the change in expression, Mia winked at him and then walked toward the locker room's exit. "Wait in front of the women's locker room for a bit, okay? I'll tell you when it's safe to come in." With a mysterious smile, she pushed the door open and walked into the hall.
'Oh-kay... that's a BIG ol' red flag right there...' Ranma sighed and walked toward the exit after her.
__________________________________________________________________________________

Mizu sighed and snatched the can of beer out of Kyle's hand, resisting the urge to massage her head. With the protect-gear's heavy armored gauntlets, it wouldn't have helped anyway. "All right, FINE. I'll drive. But from this point forward, you're not allowed to consume alcohol on duty!"
Kyle blinked. "Huh? Why?"
The raven-haired soldier planted her hands on her hips, glad that she wasn't wearing her helmet at the time so that she could properly glare at him. "Because when you're on duty, we need you sober at all times!"
Kyle blinked again. "At ALL times? Even on Wednesdays and Fridays?!"
Mizu, baffled as she was by the statement, couldn't begin to comprehend by the blond man looked so distressed as she puzzled out his question. "Of course! Why would the day make any difference?"
"But... why?" Kyle asked, wringing his hands.
A vein popped up on Mizu's head. "What are you, some kind of idiot?!"
"That's beside the point," Kyle muttered, frowning. "So, seriously, why do I have to be sober all the time?"
"Because when you're drunk, your judgment is compromised!" She explained none too gently. How did Ranma put up with this guy?
Kyle fingered his chin, considering this. "What if I could provide witnesses that all swear that my judgment is always bad?"
There was an audible snapping noise as Mizu's patience broke, and she suddenly stepped forward and started pushing Kyle in the direction of the locker room. "Oh, just shut up and put on your protect-gear! Move it! And don't waste my time with your stupid questions!"

Despite a few half-hearted protests from Kyle, Mizu eventually managed to shove him into the hall leading to the men's locker room, and the blond soldier sulked his way past Ranma as the pigtailed man exited into the hall.
Immediately noticing her close friend, Mizu was about to greet him, when she noticed that he was following Colonel Tokima down the hall as the brunette walked toward the women's locker room. This was sufficiently odd and suspicious that she froze and hesitated in her greeting.
When Mia entered the locker room, and Ranma turned and leaned back on the wall right next to the entrance to that same room, her suspicion rose to yellow-alert levels, and her eyes narrowed.
"Oh! Hey Mizu! What's up?" Ranma smiled and waved to the woman across the hall.
Mizu drew herself up (not that it made much of a difference in the bulky battle armor) and walked forward calmly, determined not to jump to conclusions. "Hi Ranma. What did Colonel Tokima want?"
Ranma shrugged. "She said she wanted to show me something, that's all. I'm supposed to spend the rest of my shift with her."
Mizu's eyes narrowed. "Oh really? She wanted to... show you something? Did she mention anything specifically?" 'All systems at orange alert! Subject has been ordered to spend better part of day with gorgeous woman with unclear intentions! Proceed with caution!'
Ranma scratched his head. "Nope. Why? Do you know what she's talking about?"
Mizu frowned deeply. She knew Ranma well enough to know when he was lying, and he wasn't. She also knew him well enough that the man wouldn't recognize a woman was coming on to him unless she openly declared she was in love with him. Not just because he was dense in that way, but also because it was the type of romantic conduct he was most used to. "Maybe..." Then something else occurred to her. "Well, why would she pull you out of patrol to spend the day with her? You don't know her, right?"
"Oh, sure I do!" Ranma said, smiling. "I met her back when I was with the DAPC! We were on a mission at that hotel that Snake burned down, and I saved her from a carrier mutant!"
'RED ALERT!! RED ALERT!! RED ALERT!!' Mizu bigsweated, and then latched onto Ranma's arm. "S-Say! You know, I could really use another guy for my patrol today, and it'd really help if I had someone along who's used to Tekai, you know? I'm sure the Colonel would understand! We ARE short-handed nowadays, you know?"
Ranma frowned, considering it, then shook his head. "Normally I'd be all for it, but she already let me and Kyle off the hook for stealing the car and wrecking it. I think I should do what she says for today."
Mizu immediately adopted a look of extreme panic, and was about to stutter out an excuse when a voice rang out from within the women's locker room.
"All right! Come on in!"
Ranma nodded to himself. "Well, looks like she's ready. See ya later Mizu." With those departing words, he turned and entered through the door next to him, though he braced himself for an assault as he went.

Mizu, meanwhile, stood gaping in the hallway, her face looking somewhat pale. "But... I... y-you..." shaking her head and swallowing deeply, she began to creep over toward the locker room door, when she heard the door from the other locker room open, accompanied by heavy footsteps.
"All right, I'm ready." Kyle frowned as he stared at the helmet in his hands. "Man, these things look creepy, huh? Why can't they at least shape the mask like a smiley face or something? Spruce it up a bit, you know?"
Mizu sweatdropped heavily, and then continued creeping toward the door to the women's locker room. "Uh... just hold on a sec, okay? I need to check on something first."
Kyle raised an eyebrow as Mizu crouched and carefully pressed her ear up against the entrance to the locker room. He was somewhat concerned for whoever she was spying on, but mostly he found himself amused at the sight of someone in protect-gear trying to act stealthy.
"And what the HELL is this?!"
Mizu squeaked and jerked upright, wincing at the noise of her own foot slamming down onto the tile floor as she steadied herself. "S-S-Sergeant! I, uh, I was just, um, I-I mean-!"
Yujikata dismissed the stuttering woman and glared at Kyle. "And just what are you doing here? You're supposed to be out on patrol, asshole."
Kyle didn't allow the insult to faze him, and pointed at the panting woman beside him. "I thought so too, but all of a sudden Kotetsu wants to stay."
Mizu gulped, but was again ignored, much to her relief.
"I don't GIVE A DAMN what Kotetsu wants," the sergeant growled, trying unsuccessfully to stare down the armored blond, "I'M in charge here, and I told you to get your sorry ass on out there."
Again, if Kyle even noticed he was being insulted, he didn't show it. "I would, but I need to go with her. I think I'm over the legal blood alcohol level to drive."
"You're over the-" Yujikata paused as he slowly worked his way through what he had been told. "Huh?"
"N-Never mind! We're going right now! Sorry to trouble you Sergeant!" Mizu quickly grabbed Kyle's arm and yanked the man down the hall toward the garage, moving at a speed that Yujikata wouldn't have expected from someone in her armor even if unburdened.
"Hmph." Snorting, the traitorous soldier shoved the door to the men's locker room open and stepped inside.
"Wha-What the HELL happened to my locker?!"
__________________________________________________________________________________

Ranma's eyes widened a bit and he froze as he got a good look at what Mia was wearing. "Whoa..."
The brunette smiled and hugged her arms under her chest. "How do like it?"
He stared for a moment longer, then nodded. "It looks good! What is it, though?"
Mia grinned and patted down the skin-hugging bodysuit that covered all but her neck and head. The suit was a dark gray, with thin wires running all along it in seemingly random patterns, zig-zagging about at 90 degree angles or stretching straight over the curves of Mia's body. Around her wrists, the Colonel wore black armlets that seemed to have electronic inputs built into them. The locker room had only dim lighting at the moment, and as he looked at her, Ranma realized that the suit was noticeably darker than it should have been, as if it was trying to blend into the shadows right in front of him.
"This is our new prototype commando armor, the Manta armor," she said proudly, planting her fists on her hips as she stood tall, inviting spectators (or in this case, the spectator) to look over every inch of her body. "It was designed as a sibling enhancement unit to Core's protect-gear. While the combat armor you're familiar with emphasizes protection and power at the cost of significant mobility, the Manta gear offers advanced technological enhancements that improve mobility and stealth, while still offering some degree of protection from small-arms fire."
Mia sat down on one of the benches and slapped a hand onto her arm. "The Manta feeds low-level electric pulses to key areas on the body in time with the heartbeat in order to stimulate the body's reflexes and agility through these wires here. Other inputs throughout the suit also aid in clotting blood and preventing shock when wounded." She tapped the armlet on her left wrist. "The armband screen here is keyed to be a communications device, as well as a computer input for breaking electronic locks. The front part right behind the hand has retractable gripping claws for scaling walls, and each band has a small retractable blade on the side for hand-to-hand combat."
Then she stood up again and turned around, allowing Ranma a full view of her back. "The armor is woven from a new polymer membrane similar to Kevlar, but because of the sensitivity required for the electronics within the suit, it couldn't be made thick enough to stop most bullets. But it's strong enough to keep basic 9mm rounds from piercing the body, and it'll help you survive anything bigger." She noticed that Ranma was glancing up at the lights and seemed to be about to ask a question. "The polymer is constructed so that it absorbs light easily, to improve its stealth capabilities."
"Ah," the martial artist scratched his head. "Wow. That's pretty cool. So am I gonna get one of those, or what?"
Mia smiled at him. "Eventually, sure. For now we only have the one, though, and I don't think it would fit you very well."
They shared a chuckle at that, and Mia turned back around. "Because you spent enough time with the DAPC, I assumed you had experience with experimental technologies."
Ranma nodded. "Yeah, pretty much. I was using a rail gun for a while, but then it started having problems, and Snake had to send it back. Too bad, really. It was kind of cool." He then started counting off on his fingers. "The plasma charges he wanted me to test out exploded as soon as they were armed and nearly killed me, the laser rifle never worked at all, and when he got that crazy new tank I ended up having to destroy it when his slightly-more-evil clone went on a rampage downtown."
The Colonel sweatdropped. "My... you really do have lots of experience with experimental technology, then. Mostly bad, I see."
Ranma shrugged. "Well, the rail gun and the tank worked fine, at least at first. It's not all that bad."
Mia cleared her throat, then smirked and crossed her arms. "Well, since this is experimental technology, would you care to help me 'experiment'?"
The pigtailed man blinked in surprise. "Uh... okay. Sure."
__________________________________________________________________________________

"This is Private Mizu Kotetsu reporting to base. We've just discovered an unidentified body in an alleyway off of Kenmei Street. Numerous puncture wounds and what appears to be bite marks. We need forensics down here pronto."
Mizu sighed as she placed the microphone back on the hook in the car, and then turned back toward the alleyway, where Kyle was observing the body via the universally respected medical procedure of poking it with stick he found.
"Well, damn. Don't usually come across dead bodies without anything around to account for it. This is police work, not military stuff." Mizu stopped her grumbling as she realized that the blond man wasn't listening, and fumed silently to herself.
'I REALLY hope Ranma and Colonel Tokima aren't... well, I mean, they wouldn't... at least, Ranma wouldn't! Right? He's not that type of guy! I should know! I mean, I'm the one who would always-'
Her thoughts were interrupted as her dimwitted companion called out to her.
"Hey Kotetsu! There's something weird about this corpse!"
Mizu barely resisted the urge to massage her head; she was still wearing her protect-gear without the helmet, after all. "YES, I KNOW. Bite marks around the neck and head, holes in the torso and skull, and parts seem to have been gnawed off. Just lay off and let the forensics guys get here and do their jobs, all right?"
Kyle frowned, then shook his head. "No, that's not what I'm talking about." He poked the body hard in the shoulder with his stick. "Check it out. When I poke this guy, his body sort of writhes around a bit."
Mizu froze, her eyes wide. "Wh-Wh-WHAT?!"
Looking thoughtful, Kyle stood up, backed away a step, and then kicked the dead body solidly in the side, sending it hard into the wall of the alley.
"TEKAI!! What the hell are you doing?!" Mizu demanded, her face red.
He rolled his eyes. "Oh, would you calm down? I used to do this sort of thing all the time, remember?" Then he pointed to the body, which was almost jumping as the head jerked violently back and forth. "See? Check it out. The movement's not coming from the neck; there's something inside there."
Before Mizu could pose any incredulous questions, however, the subject of Kyle's investigation squeezed out of the hole in the corpse's skull and hissed at the intruders, quite upset at having its meal disturbed.
"What the HELL is that?!" The raven-haired soldier shrieked, jerking back at the sight of a worm snarling at her through an oversized head full of sharp, jagged teeth. In a split second her training took over, and her arm whipped back to seize her autorifle.
*Crunch!* Not that she needed it, as Kyle simply stepped forward onto the vile creature, crushing it firmly against the concrete under his heavy boot.
"Phooey. It's just another one of those stupid worm things." He frowned and turned away from the body, where he saw Mizu gaping at him. "We can take off now. For some reason there's never more than one of them around."
Mizu finally managed to force herself to take regular breaths again, and turned toward her partner as he began to scrape gore and flesh from the sole of his boot onto the edge of the sidewalk. "So... uh... w-was that a mutant?"
Kyle stopped scraping, and looked thoughtful. "Possibly, but probably not. FAs use mutants, and they usually have more flair than this. I'm thinking it's an alien, personally." He shrugged as he moved to step into the car. "No big deal. Its race will probably be down here in a few months or so, either to figure out what happened to all its scouts, or to feed on the entire human race. And then we'll strike back and exterminate the invasion force in a colossal battle that leaves all of Tokyo in ruin. You know, same old, same old."
Mizu blinked. "That's happened before?"
Kyle blinked back, then frowned. "Yeah, I think so... that, or I'm confusing reality with Gall Force again. Either way though, I'm going to start carrying a can of Raid around with me from now on."
The raven-haired soldier sweatdropped. Though given the current manner of affairs, she couldn't really find reason to disagree.
__________________________________________________________________________________

"Wow, I'm impressed," Ranma said brightly, hand on his legs as he sat down on the hardwood floor.
Mia raised her head up slowly from where she knelt, panting lightly. "Impressed, huh?"
Ranma blinked. "Well, uh... yeah." Then he slapped a hand onto the back of his head. "I mean, you blocked that high jab pretty well! And the counter came way faster than I expected!"
Mia twitched and stood up a bit shakily, trying to keep her form. "It wasn't a high jab, you punched me in the stomach! It was a clean hit! And the counter-punch didn't even touch you!"
"Well, yeah, I mean, I still managed to dodge, but it was still good. And I did throw a high jab! You blocked it solid!" Ranma protested.
"That was no jab! That was a feint!" Mia growled.
"Okay, fine, it was. But that's pretty good too, to tell it was a feint at that speed... I mean, in hindsight..." Ranma noted that the Colonel was glaring openly at him. 'Yeesh. Girl can't take a compliment.'
Mia sighed and walked away, idly punching one of the sandbags that hung down from the ceiling of the training area. "Well, it figures. That's why you're the martial arts expert." 'A fat lot of good this overpriced leotard did me, too.' Really, the suit HAD enhanced her abilities noticeably, but it didn't prove enough to bring her to Ranma's level. 'I guess I have a ways to go before I can start pummeling maulers with my fists...'
Ranma stretched his arms over his head as he stood up. "So, you wanna pull out the wrists blades and try it again?"
Mia sweatdropped. 'He WOULD offer to let me use potentially lethal weapons... is he trying to act so condescending, or is it just ego?' She shook her head. "No, I think we're done here." She began to stretch herself, then moved to put on a jacket. "Follow me to the vault downstairs next. I think you'll find the full tour... very interesting."

Ranma scratched his head as he followed his superior officer out of the training room and down the hall. "Downstairs? But Core HQ is only one story high... right? Even if it's not, we're on the ground floor right now."
Mia merely nodded and kept walking down the hall.
Frowning, Ranma kept following her. "So, is there a basement, or what? And why would we have a vault? This is a military base, not a bank."
The brunette giggled. "Oh, don't worry yourself big boy. Just follow the leader, okay?"
Sweatdropping at the manner of address, Ranma followed the older woman to a small brown door along the hallway that sat between two briefing halls. As she opened it, Ranma blinked in surprise as he noted the long staircase that descended behind the doorway.
"Huh? What is this? I thought this door led to a broom closet or something."
"Most people make that assumption," Mia said smugly, descending the stairs and gesturing for her companion to follow. "In the event of an enemy incursion, they'll be less likely to notice this passageway, and once they do, they'll have to contend with defenses down here that they're likely not prepared for. Hopefully, these measures will give whatever national forces remain enough time to launch a counterstrike and take back HQ. Hopefully."
Ranma scratched his head as they reached the bottom of the stairs, which had an unreasonably complicated-looking computer display set up in front of what appeared to be a rickety wooden wall. "So, what's down here, exactly, that you need all this security? Nuclear bombs?"
Mia frowned as she began entering a complex code into the computer. "Well, no." Then she stuck her face down onto a chin rest sitting atop the computer, and hidden sensors scanned her eyes for optical recognition. "It's not really a bomb at all."
*Grrrrrrn!*
Ranma masked his surprise at the statement well, and turned quickly as a heavy grinding noise came from the wooden wall.
After a moment, it was apparent that the wooden barrier was merely camouflage, as a nearly imperceptible seam split apart, revealing that behind the wooden layer were thick metal doors that protected the underground facility.
Ranma stared as he followed Mia through the doors and into the area beyond. Everywhere he looked there were complex-looking computers and platforms with machines on them. Ammo belts and casings were scattered across most of the floor, along with oil spills, and plastic cones that said [Warning! Wet, and possibly radioactive, floor!]. Most interesting of all, however, was that beyond the main area that was bustling with scientists, there was a large hall with several large units sitting around to be worked on. One of which he recognized immediately.
"Hey! It's the Firestorm tank!" Ranma quickly pointed out the powerful war machine and jogged up to it, startling a few scientists who hadn't been expecting visitors.
Mia gave the men reassuring looks, then walked up behind Ranma. "Not quite. It's a Firestorm tank, but not the one that somehow fell into the DAPCs hands."
Ranma raised an eyebrow as he looked it over. "Ah. So they made more than one of 'em..." Then he scratched his head. "Actually, the armor on this one looks a lot different, now that I get a good look at it."
The Colonel shrugged. "The armor had to be replaced with a lower-cost substitute in order to be considered cost-effective. Despite the apparent success of the 'true' Firestorm back when Snake... or, I mean, the CLONE of... well, you know what I mean." She flushed slightly in embarrassment. That whole incident had been quite horrifying, disastrous, and rather confusing. "Anyway, at this point, the numerous innovations for the machine require too much maintenance and have too high a failure rate, so it's quite likely we'll have to scrap the entire design."
Ranma nodded in understanding, then began looking around the rest of the hall. "Wow, is that another rail gun?"
"It's a prototype improvement over the rail gun, actually. Still flawed, but more reliable than the weapon you were familiar with. It's called a Gauss rifle."
"Wow. Why do you have all this stuff down here, anyway?" The pigtailed man asked, looking over an electronic visor that was on a stand next to the rifle.
Mia smirked. "Core HQ is the single most well-defended structure in all of Japan. As the industrial sectors began to experience more activity among the terrorist networks, we decided it wasn't a good idea to have our scientists testing and storing cutting-edge technology right where it could be easily leaked and stolen." She waved a hand out down the hall, where flashes of light appeared periodically. "This underground facility acts as a storage and testing facility for the most lethal weapons of the modern age! With this arsenal, even if the entire city were to fall, Core will be able to remain on the offensive; as a last resort, many of these experimental technologies are kept at a minimal level of readiness in case they need to be used, for whatever reason."
Ranma nodded absently. "Sounds good. Where are the grenades that go 'boink'?"
The Colonel sweatdropped. "What?"
"You know, those little metal cylinders that... uh..." Ranma tried to gesture with his hands as to their general shape. "You know, they collapse into a... a... neutral single... larity... and... uhm..." Seeing Mia's "what the hell is wrong with you?" expression, Ranma chuckled nervously and slapped the back of his head. "Ah... never mind."
Then he turned toward a cordoned-off section of the hall. "Hey, what's the green stuff?"
The Colonel turned to see where Ranma was looking, and then she grimaced. "That's one of the more... controversial stockpiles that are being held for possible weapons use."
Ranma nodded absently, staring at the large metal tower that stood alone in the hallway, an eerie green glow coming from its single viewing window.
"I personally don't approve of secretly stockpiling biochemical weapons, but apparently our government found a source of low-cost, yet deadly toxic weaponry being produced by a research facility somewhere, and it was easier to try and find a use for it than having it lying around a less secure location."
Ranma raised an eyebrow as he peeked through the viewing window. "Uh huh. Right." Then he turned toward the brunette. "Research facility my ass. This came from the Tendo Dojo, huh?"
Mia jerked back, startled. "Wh-What? How... How did you-?"
He shrugged it off. "I'd know Akane's attempt at alfredo sauce anywhere."
The Colonel managed to calm her surprise quickly enough. "You know Akane Tendo? She's one of the most lethal biochemists in the field!"
Ranma snorted. "The hell she is. Just because someone buys plastic-sealed lead containers rather than tupperware doesn't make her a scientist." He stared more critically into the sealed container. "Huh. Usually she tries to make meatballs with that sauce."
Despite her surprise, Mia managed to respond quickly. "She, uh, she did. They attacked one of our scientists and had to be put down."
Ranma sweatdropped. "Good call."
Mia turned away from the storage tower and looked back toward the tank, her hands clasped behind her back. "Saotome, I'm sure you must be wondering why I brought you here and showed you all this."
"Not really, no. I don't care at all," Ranma said bluntly, trying to get a good angle through the viewing glass in front of him to see the rest of the "food". "Hey, she tried to make lasagna again! I thought there was a federal order restricting her after what happened the first time!"
A vein popped up on Mia's head. 'Geez, what is WITH this guy?' "Well, regardless, it's crucial that I inform you. Information of this level cannot be disclosed to just anyone."
Ranma blinked, then turned away from the biochemical container. "Wait, you mean all this stuff is classified?"
Mia nodded, still looking away from him. "Highly classified. If I didn't personally feel that you were completely trustworthy, I wouldn't even think of showing you any of this."
'Classified, huh? I'll have to mention that when I tell the guys about all this stuff,' Ranma thought to himself.
Then the Colonel turned back toward him, grinning. "I also wouldn't have told you this if I wasn't planning on making you part of our elite special ops team."
Ranma blinked. "Huh? What's that?"
"It's Core's sabotage, espionage, and recon team. I've headed the division and taken part in several of its missions for a long time now. We take on special missions with defined objectives that require stealth and quick thinking rather than heavy guns and armor padding. Things like target painting, planting charges, rescue missions, that sort of thing."
"Ah," Ranma muttered, scratching his head. "And you want me to do that?"
Mia nodded. "Let's face it Saotome; your skills are wasted out on the front lines. Tromping about in protect-gear while spraying bullets with all the other grunts is below you. I've seen what you're capable of, and you're the perfect man for the job."
Ranma continued to consider it. "What about Kyle?"
"Oh, him?" Mia said, smiling brightly. "Tekai has all the skill and wit of rice pudding. I wouldn't even have thought of it if you hadn't brought it up."
Ranma sweatdropped. He couldn't really argue against that.
"So welcome to the team, Ranma!" Mia said brightly, clapping him on the shoulder.
The martial artist looked up in thought for a moment, then shook his head. "Eh... no thanks."
*Thud!* Mia fell straight down onto the floor. "Wh-Wh-What? What are you talking about?!"
Ranma shrugged apologetically. "The whole 'elite forces' thing... well, I'd rather not. Seems like a lot of work, you know? I think I'd rather stick to tromping about spraying bullets." Ranma turned around and strode toward the exit. "Besides, if I don't look out for Kyle, who knows how long he'll last? Gotta watch his back. But thanks again for the offer!"

Without waiting around for the Colonel to get her bearings, Ranma walked through the entry vault and jogged up the stairs, eager to find Kyle and get back on patrol.
"Guess I should change into that armor first..." while he didn't relish the idea of wearing the protect-gear, he admitted that he was somewhat curious as to what it was like.
Entering the locker room, Ranma grimaced as he saw Yujikata standing in the middle, wearing his own protect-gear minus helmet.
'Great. Last time I ran into this dork we almost fought, and then I insulted him over the radio in a stolen car. Now this is gonna be all awkward.'
As if to confirm Ranma's severely underestimated worries, Yujikata grinned and pounded a fist into the palm of his other armored glove.
"Well, well, well. Look what we have here. All alone, and unarmored to boot. You got balls, scumwad, I'll give ya that."
"Hi Sarge," Ranma said, attempting to be nonchalant as he took off his jacket and tossed it onto a bench next to the other man's discarded jacket. Then he turned toward his locker.
"Hey, I'm talking to you, prick!"
Ranma sighed as he rummaged through his locker. "Yeah, I know. I'm listening. What is it?"
*Whomp!*
Ranma jerked his head to the side as Yujikata punched straight at his head, instead smashing his armored fist into the gear within the locker.
Backing away, the Sergeant grinned as Ranma turned around. "Hope you got some action with the Colonel today son, 'cause after I'm done with you, you're not gonna have the constitution to screw a woman!"
Ranma blinked. "What? What are you talking about?"
"Colonel bitch said I had to punish you myself," Yujikata explained, clenching his hands into fists. "Time for a spanking, pussy boy!"
Ranma sweatdropped. "'Pussy boy'?" Then he stepped quickly to the right, allowing Yujikata to sink his fist deeply into a nearby locker. "Is that the best taunt you can come up with? C'mon, put some thought into it!"
The sergeant growled, and then launched his other fist. "SHUT UP!!"
*Whang!* Ranma jumped up, and then deflected off the tower locker as Yujikata ruined its door with his fist.
Landing behind the petty officer (pun possibly intended), Ranma wagged a finger in the air condescendingly. "Now really, I think that, considering our last encounter, I'd be more of a 'smartass' or 'funny little man'. Of course, that's just if you can't think of something actually clever."
Ranma ducked under a backhand, then leaned back onto one of the lockers, rubbing his chin thoughtfully. "Granted, you don't know me that well, so you probably don't have much material to work with, but let's think this through, here."
Blocking a right hook, Ranma took hold of Yujikata's arm and then swung him to the side, throwing him into the middle of the room lightly enough that the sergeant didn't completely lose his footing.
"Now, for example, you could make fun of what I said about you the other day. Something like 'village idiot?! I've seen better lines at Disneyland!'"
Yujikata swayed slightly, then shook his head hard, gritting his teeth in anger. 'What the hell is wrong with this armor? I should be strong enough to smash this guy into paste!'
"Or maybe, since I was in the DAPC, you could say something like 'is that your face, or did a vamp clamp onto your head and die?'" Ranma offered, nodding to himself.
The sergeant's entire body shook, and he whirled around to face the source of his ire. "SHUT YOUR GODDAMN MOUTH OR I'LL RIP OFF THAT SISSY LITTLE PIGTAIL AND STUFF IT DOWN YOUR THROAT!!!"
Ranma blinked. Then he smiled. "THERE YOU GO!! Now THAT was a decent taunt! I'm properly offended now! Good night!"
Yujikata stopped, and blinked. "Huh? What're you-" *Thwack!* *Wham!*
The roundhouse kick came so swiftly and without warning that the man never saw it, even after it struck him in the side of the head and sent him crashing hard into the wall that was devoid of lockers.
Ranma snorted and shook his head as he lowered his leg. "Idiot. If he was going to rely on the armor to protect him, why didn't he wear the helmet too?"
The pigtailed man frowned at his locker, then looked down at his watch. "Huh. Looks like Kyle's shift is almost over. I guess I'll just catch him on his way back."
Closing his locker and picking up the jacket on the nearby bench, Ranma walked toward the exit, stepping gingerly over Yujikata's comatose body. "Guess that's another mark against me, even though he started it... man, I hate office politics." Grumbling sourly to himself, Ranma left the room to look for his friend.
__________________________________________________________________________________

Meanwhile, across town, another former police officer was suffering the lash of authority, and sighed wearily as the lecture she was given stretched into its twelfth minute.
"The danger of terrorist invasion aside, NOT that I want to have to deal with workman's comp and lawsuits from you wandering off and hurting yourself, you CAN'T leave your post in the middle of your shift!" The manager of the general mall area said condescendingly, arms crossed over his chest.
"You're absolutely right, sir," Asuka muttered wearily. 'You imbecile. Like I'm going to worry about workplace rules when the city is being assaulted.'
"Our customers expect a certain level of service and assurance from my employees! What if a car had been stolen while you were out gallivanting about on the street."
"My apologies, sir. Won't happen again." 'Unless I see gunmen and mecha parading down the street in mobs. Safe cars won't be much good to dead customers.'
"Honestly, what were you thinking? Going out into the city with terrorists tearing up the place... awful!"
"Yes, it was very scary. I should have stayed at my post." 'I've killed things with my bare hands that would have you pissing yourself, you moron! You think you're so hot because you manage this run-down mall? Trying managing a gun squad, nitwit!'
"This kind of irresponsibility will not be tolerated! If you MUST save the city from enemy war machines, do it on your break! Do I make myself clear?"
'Yes sir, completely clear sir!' "Dumbass. Some things are more important than your damn parking garage."
When Asuka saw the man gape at her, she bit back another curse. 'Oops. I thought what I should have said, and said what I should have just thought.' "Uh, I meant that with all due respect, sir," Asuka tried, sweatdropping before the manager's furious expression.
"Get out of here! YOU'RE FIRED!!"
__________________________________________________________________________________

"Oh, hi Ranma!" Mizu said enthusiastically, stomping past Kyle quickly so that she could reach her good friend.
Ranma sweatdropped as the armored hulk approached him, a familiar greeting coming out of the mask in a scrambled, unidentified mess. "Uh... who...?"
Smacking herself in the side of her helmet for her foolishness, Mizu chuckled as she began to remove her helmet. "Sorry about that. Sometimes you forget that other people can't see your face when you're wearing this thing." She looked around hopefully. "So, uhm, what did the Colonel want?"
Ranma shrugged. "Eh, something about a promotion to be a spy and superweapons being under the base or whatever. I don't really remember." He peeked around Mizu's armor and spied another armored hulk walking carefully into the hall. "Hey, is that Kyle?"
Mizu nodded slowly. "Uh, yeah... what was that about superweapons?"
"Can't tell ya. The weapons facility below the base is supposed to be a secret, you know. Especially the biochemical weapons that are made by my ex-fiancee. All highly classified." Then the pigtailed man frowned. "Hey Kyle, what's with all the Raid?"
"Gotta stockpile bug killing stuff," Kyle explained, walking past his companion toward the locker room. "Worm invasion might come soon. Gotta be ready."
Ranma blinked. "You mean the worms with all the teeth?"
Kyle nodded, and then pushed his way into the locker room, preparing to distribute the canisters of spray to all the lockers.
"You know about those?" Mizu asked, one surprise momentarily overriding another.
"Sort of," Ranma said, scratching his head. "Damn things keep popping up outta nowhere. Don't know where they're from. They're man-eaters though, so it's good to kill 'em on sight."
"Ah... yeah..." The soldier shook her head to clear it, then recalled her initial train of thought. "So... the Colonel wanted to promote you? That's all?"
Ranma nodded. "Didn't take it though. Someone's gotta watch out for you and Kyle, you know?" He gave her a thumbs up, and the raven-haired woman found herself blushing.
'He gave up a promotion... so he could be in the field with me?' Okay, there had been mention of Kyle in there too, but with a small mental tweak, it was easy to filter that part out.
Mizu smiled. "Well, in that case... would you like to go out for dinner tonight?"
Ranma looked surprised. "Uh... no, sorry, no go."
"Why not?" Mizu made an effort not to look as devastated as she felt. 'Does he really want to keep things platonic between us?'
"It's just some stuff I've got to do with Kyle, that's all. And then I have to fix my door and punish my pet for breaking it. Both of which will take the better part of the evening and require heavy machinery."
"Oh... okay. How about tomorrow? We both have the day off, barring an enemy attack."
Ranma smiled brightly. "Sure! Tomorrow's good!"
Then the pigtailed man turned as Kyle emerged from the locker room, wearing his street clothes plus his Core jacket. "I'm ready. Go time?"
Ranma grinned and nodded.
"Uh, is something going on that I should be aware of?" Mizu asked suspiciously.
Ranma sweatdropped. "Nope. Actually, I'd appreciate it if you were less aware of it. Sergeant has it in for me as it is, you know?"
"I can see that," Kyle said wryly. "How long ago did you beat him up? He's still out cold."
"Not too long ago," Ranma murmured, walking over to the garage with the blond man in tow. "We should do this quick though, just in case. His head seemed pretty thick to me."

Mizu sweatdropped heavily as the two other soldiers exited the hall for the garage.
Then she sighed. "Why is it that everyone who works for the DAPC is either a loon or turns into a loon? Yeesh. Men."
__________________________________________________________________________________

Ranma peeked around the concrete pillar toward the red BMW at the end of the line of vehicles, near the outside entrance. "You're sure that's it? I don't want us messing this up."
Kyle nodded. "I'm sure that's Yujikata's ride. You see any other import cars around?"
Ranma frowned. "Uh...... There's that one over there, in the back," he said, pointing at a brown convertible.
"Whatever. My point is, let's set it on fire."
Then the blond man bit his lip. "Problem is, there's a security cam over there. I know we didn't bother to hide when we took the patrol car, but we probably shouldn't get on Colonel Tokima's bad side."
Ranma sighed and turned around to lean on the pillar. "Well, then how are we going to do this?"
Kyle looked frustrated as he scratched his head. "Curses! If only we had... you know... some kind of means to turn invisible, if only for a short time!"
"..............." Ranma held his silence for a long moment, then looked up at the blond soldier. "Hey Kyle, can I ask you something?"
"Eh? What?"
Ranma bit his lower lip as he considered how best to phrase his question. "If you knew of a technique that would help you perform a petty, childish prank, but you had sworn, on your honor as a martial artist, to seal it away and never use it again, would you use it?"
Kyle blinked, not having expected anything like that. "On your honor? As a martial artist?"
Ranma nodded.
"And you're considering violating that for a petty, childish prank?"
Ranma chuckled weakly. "Eh heh... well... yeah."
Kyle shrugged. "Well, obviously, it depends on the prank."
Ranma's expression darkened. "THIS one, dimwit."
"Oh, well, in that case, sure!"
Ranma nodded to himself and then turned away. "Okay then. I'll take care of this. Give me the gasoline."
The blond man handed over the can, his expression curious.
Ranma turned back toward the target vehicle, recalling skills long sealed away in his memory. "Oh, and if anyone asks, I did NOT turn to you for moral guidance, right?"
"Gotcha."
"Right. Here goes nothing." And with that, Ranma vanished, gas can and all.
__________________________________________________________________________________

Junko shook her head as she scooped another spoon of ice cream into her mouth, looking sympathetic. "Hey, hey, don't take it so hard. That guy had it coming, you know? Besides, that job was nothing to you, anyway. Who cares if you got fired as a security guard?"
"That's not the POINT," Asuka growled, massaging her head. "I don't have a job. I have a house and bills and an empty refrigerator. Getting fired like that from such a worthless position is going to look HORRIBLE during any future interviews! I might as well go out and start begging on a street corner right now!"
As Junko patted her former captain's shoulders, Sakura waved over to Snake, who was in his usual position behind the convenience store counter next to Tycho, who was typing away busily on a laptop computer.
"Hey, can we get some chocolate fudge ice cream over here?"
"Screw the fudge!" Asuka shouted, banging a fist onto the table sitting in the middle of the store. "Bring me something with alcohol in it!"
"Yes ma'am!" Snake said, snatching up a beer and jumping over the counter to bring it to the table.
Asuka snatched the bottle out of Snake's hand as soon as it was within arm's reach, and bit off the cap without hesitation. "Thanks." After taking a long drink, she sighed and slammed the bottle down. "And what a way to go, too. Bad mark against me for leaving my post, and then I insult the damn manager to his face. That was some real good thinking, there."
Snake nodded somberly. "Well, if it's any consolation, my life's great!" He grinned, planting his fists on his hips. "I sold the body armor I looted from HQ, and got enough cash to buy a new home speaker system! Plus, one of the customers I scared away dropped his credit card on the way out! Me and Tycho have been buying stuff on the internet nonstop ever since!"
The driver snickered. "After we landed this sweet notebook comp, that is!"
The women all sweatdropped.
"Well that's just frigging great," Asuka murmured, "now shut up and let me get back to feeling sorry for myself."
"Would a new computer help?" Tycho asked, waving the credit card in the air. "I think we've got just enough left on this thing to hook you up."
Asuka frowned. Then she sighed and shrugged. "Yeah, actually, that would help a lot. Here, let me help you find a good one..."
Sakura sweatropped as the blue-haired woman left for the front counter, and then she turned toward Snake. "You sold our old body armor? To who?"
Snake blinked, then chuckled. "Heh heh! Funny story! This guy hooks me up with some buyers who're interested in the goods, and arranges a meeting, right? Get this: I go to the meeting, and it turns out the buyers are Freedom's Angels! Ha! So, technically, I didn't 'sell' the body armor, persay."
Junko waited for him to continue, and then blinked when the man turned around and began to leave for the register. "Hey, wait! What happened?"
Snake turned around, confused. "What happened to what?"
"What happened to the terrorists?" Sakura clarified. "You said you didn't sell them the armor, right?"
Snake raised an eyebrow. "Of course not. I shot them all, took their money, and kept the armor. What did you think I did?"
Junko rolled her eyes. "Oh, I don't know. Maybe I'd just held some hope that there was a vestige of mercy and humanity left within you, and that you could escape the situation without killing anyone."
"*Snort* Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!" Snake burst out laughing, then stopped when he noticed Junko's expression. "Oh, wait. You're serious. Let me laugh even harder. BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!"
Turning away in exasperation, Junko turned toward the least vocal of the former officers that night. "Hey Tiro, you never told us where you got a job."
Tiro snapped out of his daydreaming and shook his head in confusion. "Wha-What are you asking me?"
Junko frowned. "Where'd you get a job? I mean, you DID find a job, didn't you?"
He nodded silently. "Yeah, I did. But... it's not the kind of thing I'm proud of, you know? I'd rather just not talk about it."
The redhead nodded slowly, then smiled. "Wanna go make out?"
Tiro blinked, then actually considered it, much to Junko's shock.
"Uh......... Nah. Not tonight." He caught the woman's surprised look, and then shrugged. "I'm trying to nail this chick at work, actually. Gotta stay strictly single for now, you know?"

Sakura ignored the largely random conversations around her, and let her mind wander. 'Even though we're not a team anymore, everyone still sticks together... it's so great to have friends!' Then she frowned. 'I wonder what Ranma and Kyle are up to though?' She thought on that for a few moments, then shook her head. 'I guess they're beyond our little group now. They're Core soldiers. The best of the best. They'll stay out of trouble.'
__________________________________________________________________________________

Ranma and Kyle whistled in unison as they walked down the street, hands in their pockets, sweating profusely. And although their perspiration wasn't due to heat, it was still quite related to the brightly blazing flames that danced atop Core headquarters. If anyone had bothered to make note of them, they would have immediately concluded that the two had set the fire that currently dominated pedestrians' attentions, and probably several other local disturbances as well.
"Well... I guess they DO explode when lit on fire," Kyle muttered, making sure to keep his voice low.
"I had no idea it would go up so FAST," Ranma said, swallowing nervously. "It's a good thing the internal sprinkler system worked so well, at least. It's only spreading on the outside. And I doubt anyone got hurt."
Kyle nodded quickly. "Yes, yes. Quite. As far as hideous accidents go, this really isn't that bad."
"No, not at all. Simple mistake."
"A somewhat harmless prank, gone horribly wrong! Not that bad at all!"
"Right!"
"Of course!"
"...................................."
"...................................."
The two walked alongside each other in silence, and then Ranma turned toward Kyle. "Hey, you remembered to check out ahead of time, right? So officially, you weren't in HQ?"
Kyle nodded. "Yup. Just like you told me."
"Good. You know, just in case."
"Oh, sure. Right."
"...................................."
"...................................."
"Okay, look, I'm going to start running now."
"I'll join you."

**********************************************************************************

End Chapter 15

Author's notes: You thought I was actually going to do a lemon?! Ha ha ha!! Serves you perverts right!