Chapter 1

 

The rushing water creates serenity

As gentle nature whispers in my ear

And I listen attentively.

 

It was a beautiful spot, hidden deep in the forest where no one could find it. The trees parted to reveal a majestic waterfall. At the bottom was a deep clear pool, perfect for drinking and swimming. Except for the roar of the waterfall, the place was peaceful and quiet. The only living creatures were birds, squirrels, and chipmunks.

That was why the strange young girl had chosen this place to live. She sat upon a rock outcropping just above the waterfall, eyes closed, just listening to the birds go about their business. Without warning her eyes opened wide in shock and fright. "No. It can’t be."

And as she quivered in fear, the earth around her began shaking as well. The tremors grew bigger, and with them came a strange roaring sound, almost like a moan. As it grew louder, it became overpowering, deafening her to all else. Clapping her hands over her ears, she screamed.


Elsewhere . . .


Piccolo was meditating high in the mountains when he first heard it. It was a sound unlike anything he had ever heard before and it was getting louder. Opening his eyes, he discovered the earth around him was shaking and trembling. The sound grew thunderous, causing his sensitive ears to hurt painfully.

Just when he didn’t think he could stand it anymore, the sound stopped and so did the shaking. The sudden silence was eerie. Alighting to the ground, Piccolo looked around him in wonder.

"What the hell was that?"

 

Something is trying to speak

To express its fear and spread a warning

With no language but a cry.


Go Back a Chapter
Go to Next Chapter
Return to THE SHIZEN SAGA