"The promise of resurrection is not written in books alone

but in every leaf and petal in springtime."

 

 

Author: I’ve sort of exhausted my poetry muse, so I’ve turned to song lyrics. The verse at the beginning of the chapter fit Piccolo’s point of view. The verse in the middle of the chapter fits Piccolo and Kyloa. The verse at the end of the chapter fits Kyloa’s point of view. I took the verses from a song on the Final Fantasy Soundtrack.

 

 

Chapter 8

 

I wake from a nightmare now

In the day it haunts me

It slowly tears me apart

With dreams of a distant love

I’m a wandering satellite

 

The days and weeks passed slowly for Piccolo. He had begun to lose all concept of time altogether. He still continued to train but he had lost his focus. He meditated for hours, trying to regain that old focus. But more oftentimes than not he found himself struggling not to cry as he thought of Kyloa. Byrn was concerned but there was nothing he could do to raise Piccolo’s spirit.

Gohan found him like this one day, high on a mountain peak far from any sort of civilization. He was concerned about his mentor, having not seen him in so long. Piccolo did not open his eyes, staying motionless as Gohan approached him, giving no indication that he knew he was there.

"How have you been doing, Piccolo?" asked Gohan. Niko, seeing Byrn observing them from nearby, went to join him and exchange the news.

Piccolo’s eyes remained closed. "Leave, Gohan. I do not wish to speak to anyone right now." His voice sounded gravelly from its long disuse.

"You loved her, didn’t you?" said Gohan, being unusually blunt.

Piccolo cracked an eye open to stare at Gohan. Since when did he become so observant? "That’s none of your business, kid."

"It’s been nearly a year, Piccolo, since she and Dad died. I’ve moved on, why can’t you?"

Piccolo opened his other eye. Has it really been that long? He had thought he would get over this eventually. It seems he hasn’t. "You don’t understand, kid."

"So why don’t you tell me, so I can understand." Gohan sat down next to him, a patient look on his face. Piccolo sighed. "You’ve never been in love, Gohan. You don’t know what its like."

Gohan hid a smile, lest Piccolo see it. "Ah, so you admit you loved her."

Piccolo glared at him and it was Gohan’s turn to sigh. "I’m not completely ignorant Piccolo. I have an idea about what its like. After all, my parents were in love. Ever since Dad died, my mom has never been quite the same. Don’t believe you’re the only one who’s ever suffered."

"At least your parents knew they loved each other and had several years together. I never had that with Kyloa. She didn’t even know how I felt about her. I don’t even know if she cared about me at all."

"You never know, Piccolo. You never know."

Piccolo stood up and walked a few feet away. Talking about this was painful and he didn’t want Gohan to see him if he started crying. "I think I do know Gohan. And I think it’s time for you to go. You’re mother will be worried about you."

Gohan stood. Seeing his partner was ready to leave, Niko said goodbye to Byrn and returned to perch on Gohan’s shoulder. "Alright. I’ll go. I know when I’m not wanted. But at least come and visit once in a while. I miss sparring with you."

With that, Gohan left. "So do I, Gohan. So do I. But I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to get over this."

 

Somewhere in the wasteland

I see you smiling at me

A vision out of my dreams

Will everything change?

Take the pain away

Lead me with your light

 

Far from the lonely spot where Piccolo meditated, in a meadow where one hidden area of it was stripped of grass, the soil began shaking and rumbling slightly. Suddenly, a body rose from the ground. It was a young woman, with beautiful smooth skin and dark shiny forest green hair. Without warning, her eyes flew open, revealing that they were a bright leaf green. Lifting her hands to her face, she stared unblinkingly at them, as if bewildered by their existence. Suddenly she blinked and two tears rolled down her cheeks. Clasping her hands over her face, she sunk to the ground on her knees, sobbing as if her heart was broken in two.

 

My world spinning out of time

Won’t somebody stop me?

I may be losing my way

Will you make it right?

Take the pain away

Hear me as I cry

- From "Spirit Dreams Inside"

Final Fantasy Soundtrack


Go Back a Chapter
Go to Next Chapter
Return to THE FROZENA SAGA