Four Year Wait

Chapter 1

Disclaimer: Sadly, I do not own Dragonball Z…that is if you don't count the videos, manga, figurines,…anyway, r&r. Akira is a god.

Character ages:

Trunks – 26
Goten – 25
Pan – 22
Bra – 21

* * * * *

Trunks sat in the car, listening to his mother and sister babble in the backseat. His father sat in the passenger's seat grumbling something he couldn't hear despite his superior Saiyan hearing. Sighing, Trunks parked the car and opened the door. Bra and Bulma ran into the airport's main building. Vegeta and Trunks walked beside each other quietly.

When they reached the docking terminal, Bra and Bulma were already there, as well as the rest of the Z Warriors. Trunks smiled politely as they all greeted him, shaking the occasional hand. He then stood behind the crowd, crossing his arms like his father. The reason why he was there crept into his mind and he began to reminisce.


~Flashback~


"Trunks?" she asked, liquid green eyes trying to look into steel blue ones.

"Yeah? What?" he spat, annoyed and angry at her for not telling anyone she was leaving. He'd had a nagging feeling to go to the airport, so he did. And found her.

"Flight 301 for Europe is boarding now. Last call for flight 301." A tinny voice announced over the loudspeaker. Trunks' gaze shifted to glare angrily at her. She only gulped.

"Yeah? What is it?" he growled much like his father.

She leaned up and pressed her lips to his quickly, running down the corridor to the plane right after. He'd had a girlfriend then, and she'd known it. But she did it anyway. She kissed him. Overcoming shock, his eyes widened.

"Pan!" he shouted. But she didn't hear him. She was already gone.


~End Flashback~


Trunks frowned. In four years he hadn't had a girlfriend. After what had happened that day it seemed that he just couldn't commit. He'd made it very clear that he didn't want a relationship, but there were always the greed-struck bimbos who wanted a piece of his fame and fortune. Of course, they weren't easy to contend with. Especially with his mother wanting him to settle down. But that one kiss had thrown his whole world off its axis, leaving him spinning willy-nilly, trying to figure out what he was feeling.

"My baby!" Videl yelled, snapping Trunks from his thoughts.

"Hey Mom." A familiar, but different, voice replied.

There was a commotion afterwards, with people hugging, crying, and kissing. Trunks and Vegeta, however, remained where they were. They could have been statues for how much they moved. The two stared straight ahead, emotionless. Then she appeared.

Inwardly Trunks jumped. She was so beautiful. Her curves were more defined, she'd grown her hair down to her shoulder blades, her green eyes were sparkling with joy, and her smile was as bright as the sun. She looked so grown up.

It was then he realized just how much he'd missed her. At the same time, though, he absolutely hated her guts. How dare she leave without telling anyone! And how dare she give him something he'd trouble over for four whole years!!

A scowl twisted his face as he looked at her: the girl he'd known all this life; the girl next door. He mentally slapped himself. She wasn't a girl anymore. She was a woman—more sophisticated in every way. At least it appeared so.

Her smile fell when she saw him staring at her. Everyone turned to look at the two, even Vegeta. After a while Trunks snorted and headed for the exit, not stopping until he reached his car. He sat in the driver's seat with his arms folded across his chest, staring at the dashboard. Footsteps on the gravel caught his attention, but his eyes remained glued on the dashboard.

"What is it, Goten?" Trunks snapped at his best friend.

"Nothing. I just wanted to see if you were okay." Goten said defensively, leaning on the passenger's side door.

"I'm fine." Trunks grunted. Goten opened the door and sat down.

"No you're not. Don't pull this shit on me, dude. I know when you're upset." he said, leaning back and putting his hands behind his head. Trunks looked at him, annoyed. Seconds later, a smirk stretched across his lips and he looked ahead of him.

"Damn. You've known me too long." He said. His best friend nodded.

"Yeah." Goten said. After a few moments of silence, he took a deep breath. "Why'd you look at my niece like that?"

"Like what?" Trunks asked, genuinely curious.

"Duh! Like you hated her!" Goten shouted.

"I didn't do that." Trunks protested.

"Yes you did!" Goten said, turning to his best friend. "She's in there sulking around now. I don't need to tell you that Gohan's pretty pissed at you for doing that to her. Whatever you did, that is." Sounds above them interrupted their heated discussion. They looked up to see the fighters flying several miles up.

"Oh great. It's time for the 'reunion' at my house." Trunks growled, starting the car. They pulled out of the airport and onto the highway.

"Uh, don't you have to bring your mom home?" Goten asked.

"Dad'll take her." Trunks spat. "Now shut up."

"Yo, man. Why are you so pissed?" Goten asked.

"Cause she left everyone without telling us. That's why!" Trunks yelled.

"Left us or left you?" Goten asked. Trunks' eyes grew wide.

"Goten!" he shouted.

"What? It's true." Goten said, smiling the classic Son smile.

"No it's not!" Trunks objected.

"Yes it is. You know it is! Face it. All you've been doing for the past four years is moping around. You never even got a girl in bed, let alone a date." Goten pointed out.

"Look who's talking Mr. I Want My Best Friend's Sister." Trunks said, smirking devilishly. To his satisfaction, his best friend turned a lovely shade of cherry red.

"Shut up!" Goten snapped. He regained his composure and smirked smugly. "I think you like Pan." Trunks started visibly, then pulled over to the side of the road.

"No I don't." he growled.

"Yes you do!" Goten said, chuckling. "You've been turning down girls ever since she left. You like her. Face it."

"Well, I did see her before she left." Trunks whispered after a bit. Goten lifted an eyebrow and crossed his arms.

"Really?" he asked, interest mounting. "When?"

"I dunno. I had a feeling that I should go to the airport, so I did. I saw Pan when I got there and she…" Trunks trailed off.

"She what?" Goten probed. Trunks flashed him Vegeta's death glance and pulled back onto the road.

"She kissed you, didn't she?" Goten shouted after a few minutes of serious thought.

Trunks remained stolid but grunted a yes. His friend broke out into riotous laughter. Trunks only tensed, pushing back the urge to pull over to the side of the road and kill the idiot in the passenger's seat.

"Oh God! Trunks, you dog!" Goten yelled, laughing hysterically.

"Shut up." Trunks growled. "I didn't kiss her. She kissed me. I didn't even kiss back."

"Sure you didn't." Goten prodded. Trunks pulled into Capsule Corporation.

"Not a word, Goten. Not. A. Word." Trunks warned, giving him a look that would scare away an angry tiger. Goten nodded furiously and they walked inside.

For about an hour the two friends mingled. Well, not really. They more or less sat in a chair, bored out of their minds. Bra caught Goten's eye and he motioned for her to join them. Trunks stood up and left quietly, leaving the two alone.

"Hey, what's up?" Bra asked.

"Nothing." Goten answered. He looked over at Trunks, who was talking to Yamcha.

"Goten? Can I ask you something?" Bra said softly.

"Uh, sure." Goten said. She moved closer to him and his heart rate tripled. She put her mouth near his ear.

"Does Trunks like Pan?" Bra whispered. Goten relaxed, partially disappointed that she didn't kiss him, and partially relieved.

"Y-yes." He stuttered.

"I think we should play matchmaker." Bra said. "I'll bring Pan to the lake in the woods while you take Trunks. We'll go on opposite sides and lead them to each other, then slip out and hide. We'll play Silent Marco Polo to lure them together."

"I dunno if that's such a good idea." Goten whispered, remembering how mad Trunks was at Pan.

"Why? Come on. I wanted to show you my new bathing suit, anyway." Bra said with a wink. Goten gulped, convinced.

"Uh, okay. When do you want to meet?" he asked.

"Be there in an hour." Bra instructed. "On the west side. We'll meet on the most covered portion of the lake."

"Right." Goten agreed. Trunks' sister smiled and ran off, beaming. He sighed.

Damn I hope this works. Goten thought. I don't think I can stand another day of moping.




…Meanwhile…




"Pan, come on. Let's ditch this place. No one'll notice we're gone." Bra egged.

"No thanks. I'll pass." Pan said, still bummed from earlier. "I don't really feel like going anywhere." Bra took Pan's wrist and pulled her up the stairs and into her room.

"Okay, girl. You're getting your bony ass out of here. Pronto." she said, sifting through a drawer of bathing suits. "Ah ha. Here we go." She threw a bathing suit at her best friend.

"Bra. I don't really wanna - "

"Do it." Bra interrupted, growing menacingly.

Pan gulped, shaking her head yes. With the combined tempers of her father and mother, Pan knew that Bra was a force to be reckoned with when angry. And she could be in serious trouble if she questioned further. Bra left and returned minutes later to see Pan in a skimpy navy blue two-piece bathing suit, nose crinkled.

"You look great!" Bra exclaimed, smiling widely and heading to her closet to look for a bathing suit for herself.

"I feel like a whore." Pan commented, frowning. "I refuse to wear it."

"Too bad. You are." Bra said, closing her closet door and changing into her skimpy silver two-piece. She exited and smiled at Pan. "Let's go!"




"Come on, Trunks. Let's get outta here." Goten whispered.

"Where would we go?" Trunks asked, interested. Goten sat still, giving Trunks the impression that he was thinking.

"How about the lake? We haven't gone swimming in a while." Goten suggested.

"Sounds good." Trunks said, getting up. The two men changed into their swim trunks (A/N: sorry, I couldn't help myself) and headed for the lake.




"Okay, Pan, now let's play Marco Polo without the sound. And no ki seeking." Bra offered. Her friend lifted an eyebrow.

"Wouldn't that just be Silent Tag with your eyes closed?" Pan asked.

"Uh, I guess so." Bra said. "In any event, you go first."

"But - "

"Go!" Bra commanded.

Grumbling obscenities under her breath, Pan dove under the water to count to ten. Lifting herself out of the water, Bra flew to the designated meeting place. Goten was already there, watching Trunks listen for any sign of noise.

"Ready?" Goten asked.

"Ready." Bra whispered.

"Great." Goten said, returning his attention to the lake.

"Now it's time to kick back and enjoy the show." Bra whispered, peering out of the bush with Goten.




Trunks stood perfectly still, listening for sounds that might betray where Goten was. A sneeze sounded in the distance and he chuckled, heading towards it.

I got you now, Goten.




Pan cursed at herself. Now Bra would know where she was. She shook her head as she heard a small chuckle, and headed towards the sound. Smirking, she heard the movement of water straight ahead of her. She was about to jump at it when it grabbed her itself, causing her eyes to fly open. She found herself staring up into the surprised baby blues of a demi-Saiyan.

"Trunks?!" Pan yelled, jumping apart.

"Pan." Trunks growled, eyes narrowing. "What are you doing here?"

"I was swimming with Bra. What're you doing here?"

"I was swimming with Goten." Both their faces lit up in shock.

"They what?" they both said at the same time.

"I'm gonna kill him. Bastard." Trunks growled.

"How could Bra do this? She knows I like him." Pan whispered. Trunks stopped dead in his tracks and turned around to look at her. She looked up, realizing that Trunks knew. "Shit."

"You what?" he asked.

"Nothing." Pan said. Trunks moved closer and pulled her towards him. Her large eyes looked into his and he smirked.

"You're not scared, Panny-chan, are ya?" he whispered, pressing his lips to hers lightly. He gave her time to object, but she didn't, only wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him back.

"Trunks?" Pan whispered when they parted. "I thought you hated me."

"How can I? You've been on my mind since you left. I haven't had a girlfriend since."

"You waited four years for me?" she asked, her voice barely a whisper.

"I would wait a lifetime for you." Trunks answered, kissing her again.




"Score!" Goten whispered loudly, smiling. He gave Bra a high-five and she smiled.

"We did it! Yes!!" she whispered, giggling lightly. Across the lake, Trunks and Pan looked at the bushes the two others were in.

"Should we get our revenge?" Trunks whispered. Pan chuckled, her eyes narrowing.

"Yeah. Let's do it."