Title: Poison
Author: Yami no Kaiba
Fandom: Batman/Red Robin
Rating: PG
Characters: Ivy, Red Robin
Length: 427 words

Summary: She gives voice to the voiceless.
Disclaimers: I do not own the characters or the concepts of Batman or Red Robin in any of its forms. Though I would love to write for DC Comics if they would ever want me to.

*---*---*---*---*

The Green was dying.

All of it - not a tree here and a bush there, not swatches of grass trampled under the uncaring soles of the vermin known as man - but every weed, root, twig, vine, leaf, flower, bud, fruit - it was all screaming and writhing and dying, and no one but she could hear.

There was no fire, no chemicals on the wind, but it was all dying just the same. In pain just the same and the Green was pleading, demanding, begging for relief, for her to save it all.

But she was screaming, too, overwhelmed and submerged by her babies - her babies - voiceless cries. Curled and writhing in the yellowing, withering grasses as the phenomenon reached ever farther into the park she'd taken for her own.

It wasn't until the screaming stopped, the utter silence of dead, wasted earth sunk into her mind that she realized she was being rolled onto her stomach, her arms wrenched behind her and bound together by familiar plastic bands. What little heat and sustenance she took from the full spectrum bulbs of the park's lamps had been swamped for a time she could not measure by the – familiar but not quite right - black shadow that covered her and the ground.

"Monster," she croaked, throat scratchy and sore as gauntlets and man's strength pulled her to her feet, and the decayed husks of the grass sifted to ash between her toes – her salmon colored toes.

What by all the Green...?

She wrenched her head to the side to glare beyond her shoulder, a look to emphasize her fury, rage, grief, and despair. To promise her future vengeance –

And faltered at the red within the black.

This was not the Bat. This was something else, something different but similar -

A pained, sympathetic smile. A barely noticeable tilt of the head, that sent a thin silver chain and its glowing white rock skittering against black cape and red armor. White lenses peered back from a black cowl.

She drew in a shaky breath, recognizing that guilty respect. The Boy. It had to be. He’d grown like a weed since last she’d seen him, and molted his feathers once more.

Hysterical laughter made her naked, salmon - the green, where was the green? - colored chest tremble and hitch, as he pushed her forwards over the barren earth, spreading and mixing ash in their wake as once lively green plants crumbled under the lightest of touch.

She'd known he'd grow to be poison one day.

--Fin.

Author's Note: For those who don't follow the Superman comics, the 'white rock' in the story was White Kryptonite, which kills any and all plant life with a range of 25 yards (if you want to picture that in meters, think the length of 8 and 1/3 meter sticks). As for how Tim would have gotten a hold of it, there was a story arc in the Superman/Batman monthlies that showed Batman having quite a stock of Kryptonite in the Bat Cave, including some of the differently colored isotopes.

Email: feedback