There’s an old saying that you don’t miss something until it’s gone
and this is certainly true of much-loved buildings.
There’s an old saying that you don’t miss something until it’s gone
and this is certainly true of much-loved buildings.
people have contacted the West Derby Society (WDS) about the disappearance of
the old Curzon cinema in Old Swan – one minute it was there, the next it had
picture was taken by WDS chairman Stephen Guy in 1962 as the Curzon was being
converted into shops. The first to open was the Fine Fare supermarket – the
face of shopping to come. Thankfully Old Swan’s many varied shops generally
continue to thrive. A new building now rises on the site of the splendid Art
Deco Curzon – sadly never listed – which closed in August 1960.
the road was the Regent, pictured on the same day, showing The Wizard of
Baghdad. The Regent closed in March 1967.
old glass bottles are found all over the West Derby area - the most prolific
provider was in Liverpool’s Paddington district, writes Alastair Caird.
were the “Codd” type invented by Hiram Codd, born 10 January 1838 in Bury St
Edmunds, Suffolk. He was the youngest child of a carpenter, Edwin Codd, who died
when his son was still young. Hiram married Jane Colebrooke on 5 February 1856
and his second wife Elizabeth Blundell in June 1885. At the age of 23 Codd
became a mechanical engineer, working for the British & Foreign Cork
was whilst he was employed here that he recognised that there was a need for
better machinery for filling bottles plus a different type of seal other than
registered his invention on 24 November 1870 with the British Patent Office for
a glass bottle with a marble stopper. His creation was to become standard
throughout Europe and the British Empire.
was in 1872, while living at 27 Queen Row, Grove Lane, Camberwell, Surrey, that
Codd - together with Richard Barrett of London, to whom he granted half of his
rights - filed a patent for “improvements in bottles containing aerated or
bottles could be used over and over again without the expense of buying new
corks. The bottle had in its neck a glass marble. They were filled upside down:
the pressure of gas in the bottle forced the marble against the vulcanized India
rubber washer at the top of the neck. This
an efficient seal for the liquid inside. It is said there are instances of such
bottles having remained sealed for over 100 years without the gas escaping.
1873 Codd perfected his glass marble-stoppered bottle. By the middled of that
year he had granted 20 licenses and received another 50 applications. In 1874
his licence became free to bottle manufacturers providing they used his groove-lipping
tool, marbles and sealed rings. Another proviso was that the firms they traded
with must already have a licence to use his bottles.
had two factories for the production of the marbles, one in Camberwell and the
other in Kennington, London. He licensed his patent to several manufacturers,
one being Ben Rylands. They formed a partnership and started Barnsley’s Hope
Glass Works. They remained business partners until Ben’s death in 1881.
Codd had the original patent his design was copied and there are many variations
of his design. These type of bottles were still in use some 60 years or more
after his invention. Indeed Codd’s patented globe stopper bottle is still
manufactured in India, by Khandelwal glass works.
designed a bottle-opener for inserting into the neck to push the marble down,
enabling enough gas to escape and release the marble from its seal. While this
was the most hygienic way to open the bottle, most people just pushed the marble
into the bottle with their finger when their hands were not always clean.
for this reason it was not widely used in the USA.
well as providing containers for soda and mineral water, Codd bottles also
supplied toys for children.
the content had been consumed children would smash the bottles
obtain the glass marble - known in Liverpool as an olly - to play games with.
big clear glass marble used to knock other marbles around in the improvised
game, was called a bolly washer.
Codd died, aged 49, on 18 February 1887 at his home in Suffolk Lodge, Brixton.
The cause of his death was chronic liver and kidney disease and congestion of
the brain. He is buried in Brompton Cemetery, London.
is said that the name “Codswallop” was used by beer drinkers as a derogatory
term for non-alcoholic drinks. This may be a load of old Codswallop but for
certain Codd was a very intelligent man. Today his bottles are prized the world
over by antique bottle collectors.
bottles similar to these late Victorian examples have been found during the
excavations of the Williamson Tunnels, Edge Hill.
1843 an Act for the Division of the Rectory of Walton-on-the-Hill provided for
the creation of a separate parish of West Derby, enabling a parish church to be
built there. Construction of the new West Derby parish church was begun in 1853
and completed three years later. The old chapel was demolished and the new
church, dedicated to St Mary the Virgin, consecrated on 6 November 1856.
was 35 years after the completion of St Mary’s before the chiming clocks were
installed. They were the gift of the Pemberton-Heywood family of Norris Green. A
special service took place on Advent Sunday 1888 to celebrate the installation
of both the two-faced clock and chimes.
the clock mechanism and chimes had to be wound by hand every day but now it is
Heywood 1753 – 1836 was a prosperous Liverpool banker and one-time Mayor of
Liverpool. He had a large house built for himself in Norris Green Park in 1830.
The mansion was set in 16 acres with landscaped gardens, orchards and stables.
The house was built to provide a sanctuary away from the pollution and disease
of overcrowded Liverpool town centre. The clean air of Norris Green would have
been much healthier than the smog of the city - the spread of typhus and flu was
deadly. Epidemics spread throughout the social classes leaving many thousands
Pemberton Heywood was one of his sons and also a banker. Anna Maria Heywood was
his wife who outlived her husband. When she died in 1887, the clock and chimes
were installed in her memory (above).
~ oOo ~
Patent of King John 28 August 1207: John, by the grace of God, King of England,
Lord of Ireland, Duke of Normandy and Aquitaine, Count of Anjou, to all his
who have desired to have Burgages in the township of Liverpool, greeting. Know
ye that we have granted to all our faithful people who have taken Burgages in
Liverpool that they may have all the liberties and free customs in the township
of Liverpool which any Free Borough on the sea has in our land. Therefore we
command you that securely and in our peace you come there to receive and inhabit
our Burgages. And in witness hereof we transmit to you these Letters Patent.
Witness Simon de Pateshill at Winchester on the 28th day of August in the ninth
year of our reign.
of Henry III (above): The traders in Liverpool soon wanted greater freedom. It
happened in 1229 when King Henry III was in great financial difficulties and he
was therefore very willing to sell further privileges. The inhabitants of
Liverpool raised ten marks to buy a new charter of a very extensive kind.
charter was of the greatest importance in the history of the borough because it
effectively remained the governing charter until the 17th century. It was much
more elaborate and detailed than King John’s. Henry’s included the
establishment of a borough independent of the shire or county especially for
judicial purposes. It increased trading privileges and power to establish a
merchant guild or association.
of Charles I: Liverpool was beginning to be increasingly prosperous. However,
the rights of the burgesses were somewhat uncertain and open to challenge.
applications for a new charter were made & eventually in 1626 Charles I
was the most important since Henry III’s because it authorised in more modern
terms the powers of the borough. It decided the vexed question of incorporation,
settled the borough’s constitution with a mayor, bailiffs and burgesses acting
as the supreme authority and bringing the legal system of the town into order.
of Liverpool 1729
17th to mid-19th centuries: Liverpool progressed and prospered, growing at an
astonishing rate. Further charters were obtained in 1677 (Charles II), 1685
(James II), 1691 (William & Mary), 1695 / 1698 (William III), 1709 (Anne),
1752 (George II), 1808 (George III), 1828 (George IV) and 1836 (William IV).
Victoria 1880 / 1893: The 1880 charter conferred upon Liverpool the title of
City, as opposed to a mere borough. It was closely linked with the foundation of
the Bishopric of Liverpool in that year.
1893 charter decreed that the title Lord Mayor of Liverpool could be used, as
opposed to plain Mayor.
~ oOo ~
Derby was one of the eight Hundreds of Lancashire – 15 townships came under
its jurisdiction. Over the centuries it was, in turn, inhabited by Danes and
Anglo Saxons. Until the 13th century it stood in a forest about 11 miles long
and two miles wide. It had a Norman fortress. King John transferred the
Wapentake court from West Derby when he granted the Charter to Liverpool in
1207. Ecclesiastically, West Derby was part of the Walton Parish for many years,
becoming independent in 1848. The present parish church, built in 1856, replaced
its predecessor the ancient Chapel of St Mary the Virgin.
Mr Spock take note …
Mr Spock take note …
of Southport made these track-driven Vulcans and tested them at Birkdale. This
is a 22.4hp Vulcan - the photo was taken at the local beach testing area in
has recently received two generous donations of historic deeds, photographs,
books, history notes and tapes.
collections were amassed by two local men who were not known to the Society.
We are very grateful to their families for letting us have this important
material. It helps our understanding of West Derby and Liverpool’s rich
first donation was a cache of about 50 documents from about 1850 to the early
are written in copperplate on parchment and some bear the signature of the
deputy steward of West Derby Courthouse. They relate to hearings at the manor
court where land issues were settled for centuries.
Molyneux family of Sefton and Croxteth Hall were hereditary stewards from the
of the deeds refer to Mercer Place, the Georgian hamlet off Deysbrook Lane. This
historic enclave of cottages and small holdings was flattened and replaced by
modern housing in the 1960s. No trace remains.
other collection was built up over a lifetime and includes research into
Liverpool’s Welsh churches, chapels and others.
are several scarce local history books. Some of the material is from the estate
of a family member, Glyn Hughes, a well-known journalist who died more than 40
years ago. He wrote many articles in local papers including the Liverpool Echo
and Daily Post.
tapes in original boxes include music, singing and discussions.
collection includes this rare early photograph of Christ Church, Tuebrook.
we have a lovely time …
day we went to Bangor.
we didn’t sing the 1970s Fiddlers Dram hit on the coach but we could have
done. The Society’s annual day
trip on 4 July took in the North Wales university city and nearby Penrhyn
again had a full coach and arrived
at Bangor quickly and smoothly along the A55 coast road. We stayed for an hour
or so – a few stayed there the whole time while most of us went to the castle.
We had free National Trust day passes thanks to Civic Voice , our national
dismissed by many as a folly, this impressive
late Georgian / early Victorian pile houses high-quality original
furnishings and exudes an air of calm.
grounds and gardens are equally stunning, with marvellous views over the sea and
we went home, a few of us watched in admiration as a group of young people
abseilled down one of grey stone towers.
the Liverpool Daily Post 13 June 1867:
Derby Manor Court: the annual court of the manor of West Derby was held at the
Courthouse, West Derby. Mr Spencely, steward of the Lord
of the Manor, presided. The business
was simply routine and void of interest."
now we know.
protests continue over builder Redrow’s plans to demolish historic Holly
Lodge, here is more information about family links.
member Terry Hutchinson Powell, a descendent of Hutchinsons who lived at Holly
Hutchinson, who died in the Lusitania sinking, was granddaughter of Edward
Hutchinson of Holly Lodge,
parents were Edward Mason and Isobel Lucy Martha Hutchinson (née Franks).
was born Kingsmead Road, Oxton.
was another area where the Hutchinsons were prominent.
1903 Hutchinson's bought out the firm of Walmsley and Smith, flour millers of
Hindpool Road, Barrow-in-Furness.
Mason Hutchinson, John Hutchinson and Francis Edgerton Hutchinson, directors and
managers, oversaw operations there from time to time. Francis Edgerton
Hutchinson lived at Monks Croft, Barrow. Now sadly demolished, it latterly
became the HQ of the regional health authority.
and Edward Mason Hutchinson travelled to and from the Lakes in respect of their
duties in Liverpool and Barrow. John lived at Aldingham Hall, Aldingham, while
Edward Mason lived at Woodcroft, Eleanor Road, Bidston, and Birket House,
Cartmel Fell in the Winster Valley near Windermere.
construction shed of B A E Shipbuilders is on the site of Barrow Corn Mill where
the Hutchinson family carried on business.
visited the Lady Lever Art Gallery recently and was brought up to date on the
exciting £1.2 million renovations due to open about May 2016.
art gallery stands in the centre of Port Sunlight, built for the workers by soap
king William Hesketh Lever, later 1st Viscount Leverhulme (his late wife was
Sunlight is a Victorian and Edwardian confection of mock-Tudor, Jacobean and
other styles. It faces the huge factory which has employed many generations of
original Lever Brothers grew into the giant Anglo-Dutch conglomerate Unilever,
one of the greatest business success stories.
has survived by diversifying and spreading its operations around the world.
the 1980s it acquired 80 companies in just four years. Back in 1986 it paid out
an eye-watering $3,000 million for the makers of Vaseline and Ragu pasta sauce.
A few years later it ditched 1,200 products to concentrate on its global
it is moving into the prestigious, high-priced skin care business, producing
luxury goods for the high end of the market.
around Port Sunlight, it is amusing to think that most of it was paid for by
Lord Leverhulme’s massive best-seller Sunlight Soap.
are similarities between West Derby Village and Port Sunlight. The environments
we see today were largely the visions of individuals – in West Derby’s case
the 4th Earl of Sefton, who redesigned and rebuilt much of the Village starting
in the 1850s.
Port Sunlight, it was paid for by old money, the product of centuries of land
and property acquisition started when William de Moulins took part in the Battle
It is of great concern that several listed buildings are empty in West Derby Village along with the former Co-op. It is hoped this and the empty lodge and houses will soon be re-occupied.