Pictured above is the new historical marker, placed on the courthouse square downtown, next to the bored well pavilion, in April 2010.
Livingston was organized as County Seat of Sumter County in 1833. It was named in honor of Edward Livingston, a prominent American jurist and statesman of that day.
The first newspaper in the county was The Voice of Sumter. There were four schools, including Livingston Female Academy (now the University of West Alabama), and the original log courthouse, and the bored well.
The first log courthouse was replaced in 1839 by a frame structure. When it burned in 1901, the present courthouse was built.
Livingston experienced a declining population in this very rural county until the early 1960's. A project was begun to "revitalize" the town, and in 1972, Livingston was named by the Saturday Evening Post as a finalist in the All American Cities Contest.
Livingston is located where US Hwy 11 and AL Hwy 28 meet in Sumter County. The courthouse is on Hwy 11 downtown.