Black Magic and Satanic Possession
My brother after returning from a trip starting acting very
strange. He would say weird things and now doesn't talk to anyone at all. He has
been sitting outside for 2 months now. He has even spit on our mother. At first
we thought there was something psychologically wrong with him. However when we
took him to a mental doctor he talks as if he is fine. We think he is either
possessed by a Jinn or some magic was done to him.
How can you tell if someone is possessed or if magic was
done to them?
How do you remove it? My mother is getting very sick over
Praise be to Allaah
People who have had experience with such situations have
related that the following are among the signs of a person who is possessed by
jinn (or Satan):
1. Strong repulsion when hearing Qur’aan or Aathaan (call
2. Episodes of losing consciousness and/or epileptic attacks, especially when Qur’aan is recited for the possessed person.
3. Frequent nightmares during sleep.
4. Tendency to avoid people accompanied by out-of-the-norm behavior.
5. The jinn who possesses him might speak when Qur’aan is recited for the possessed person.
6. Madness, as stated in the Qur’aan (interpretation of the meaning): “Those who devour usury will not stand except as stands one whom Satan by his touch hath driven to [epileptic] madness…” 2:275
As for a person struck by magic he might experience the
1. Dislike of one’s spouse, as indicated in the Qur’aan
by the following verse (interpretation of the meaning): “And from these
(angels) people learn that by which they cause separation between a man and his
wife...” (Al-Baqarah, 2:102).
2. Different attitude in the house from that which is outside the house. For example, a person will feel that he is missing his family when is outside the house but when he goes home, love changes quickly to extreme hatred.
3. Inability to have sexual intercourse with one’s spouse.
4. Frequent miscarriage for pregnant women.
5. Sudden change in behavior without obvious reason.
6. Complete loss of appetite for food.
7. Thinking or imagining one has done something when in reality one has not.
8. Sudden obedience and/or love for a particular person.
It should be noted that if a person experiences some of the
above symptoms this does not necessarily mean that he is either possessed by a
jinn or struck by black magic. It might be due to physiological or psychological
As for curing this condition the following steps are
1. Putting one’s trust in Allah with sincere belief that
He is the only cure for everything.
2. Reading Qur’aan and known supplications expressing seeking refuge, the most important and effective of which is sura 113 and 114, Al-Falaq and Al-Naas, which were used to cure the Prophet himself. Surah 112, Al-Ikhlaas, is recommended along with them, as well as the opening chapter of the Qur’aan, Al-Fatihah. To cure black magic some have successfully used seven lotus-tree leaves. The leaves should be crushed, then mixed them with water enough for taking a bath. The following verses from the Qur’aan are then recited: verse Al-Kursi (2:255), surah Al-Kafiroon (109), surah 112, 113, 114; the verses which mention magic, which are: in surah Al-Baqarah (2:102), Al-A’raaf (3:117-119), Yunus (10:79-82), and Taha (20:65-69). The possessed person drinks some of the water, and the rest is used to give him a bath.
3. Removing the elements of magic as was done by the Prophet when he was struck by black magic by a Jewish man called Lubaid Ben Al-‘Aasim.
4. Eating seven Aa’liya Al-Barniy dates (among the dates of Al-Madinah) first thing in the morning; if not possible, any dates will suffice, by the will of Allaah.
5. Cupping--removing excess blood.
And we ask Allaah to cure your brother and ease your hardship and his, as He is the One who cures and there is no one else who can cure.