Writings of Imâm Ibn al-Qayyim on Treating Distress and Grief
this discussion of cures, we will pause to look briefly at the list written by
Imaam Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) in which he lists fifteen
kinds of remedies through which Allaah may alleviate distress and grief:
Tawheed al-Ruboobiyyah (Unity of Divine Lordship)
2. Tawheed al-Uloohiyyah (Unity of Divinity)
3. Unity of belief, i.e. Tawheed al-Asmaa’ wa’l-Sifaat (Unity of the Divine Names and Attributes).
4. To declare that Allaah is far above mistreating His slave or punishing him without any cause on the part of the slave himself.
5. Admission on the part of the slave that he is the wrongdoer.
6. Beseeching Allaah by the best of things, which are His Names and Attributes. Among the most comprehensive in meaning of His Names and Attributes are the Names al-Hayyu (the Ever-Living), al-Qayyoom (the Eternal).
7. Seeking the help of Allaah Alone.
8. Putting one’s hope in Allaah.
9. Putting one’s trust in Allaah and handing over all one’s affairs to Him, recognizing that one’s forelock is in His hand, that Allaah runs all one’s affairs as He wills, that His command is ever executed and that His decree is just.
10. Reading Qur’aan and pondering its meaning, seeking consolation in it for all disasters, and seeking a cure in it for all diseases of the heart (i.e., spiritual or psychological diseases) for it washes away grief and heals his distress and anxiety.
11. Seeking the forgiveness of Allaah.
13. Jihaad (striving for the sake of Allaah).
14. Salaat (prayer)
15. Admitting that one has no power or strength at all, and attributing them to the One Who holds them in His hand.
Table of Contents