The five things that serve as pillars to this fulfilling and beautiful way of life.
Shahada - Affirmation
To affirm and believe the following:
There is no deity but Almighty Allah, and Muhammad is His servant and Messenger.
Salat - Prayer
Worship to Almighty Allah the way prescribed in the Holy Quran, and by the teachings of the Last Messenger Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him).
Zakat - Alms Giving
Giving a portion of ones earnings to the poor and needy.
Sawm - Fasting
Abstaining from food, drink, and certain demands of the flesh from before sunrise until after sunset during the holy month of Ramadan.
Hajj - Pilgrimage
Going on a journey to the holy city of Mecca to perform certain acts of worship.
The Seven Beliefs
I believe in Allah, in His Angels, His Scriptures, His Messengers, the Last Day, and that everything good and bad in the world is predestened by the Almighty Allah, and I believe in Resurrection after Death.
- Belief in Allah. Allah the Most Exalted is One. He is alone and none else is worthy of worship. He has no compeer. He has knowledge of everything, and nothing is beyond His knowledge. He has great power and potency. He alone created the sun, the moon, the earth, human beings, animals, the entire universe and all that is within. He gives and takes away life. He is the Provider to all His creations. He is Self-existant. No one has created Him. He has neither father nor sons, nor daughters, nor wives, nor any other relations. All depend on Him. He is Peerless, and free from all blimishes. He has no shape. He created the angels, and sent messengers for guidance for His creatures for them to follow the true religion.
- Belief in the Angels. Who are created from light, and are invisible to us. The Angels have no gender. They do not disobey the commands of Allah nor do they commit sin. They are many in number, and their exact number is only known to Allah.
- Belief in all of Allah's Books. Including the four famous Divine Books. First the Torah revealed to Hadrat Musa (Moses) peace be upon him. Second the Psalms revealed to Hadrat Dawud (David) peace be upon him. Third the New Testament revealed to Hadrat Isa (Jesus) peace be upon him. And Forth the Holy Quran, revealed to Hadrat Muhammad peace be upon him.
- Belief in all of Allah's Messengers peace be upon them. There is a great number of Messengers who were sent to this wold, including Hadrat Ibrahim (Abraham), Musa (Moses), Dawud (David), and Isa (Jesus) peace be upon them. Muslims accept all of the Messengers from Hadrat Adam (peace be upon him) the first, to Hadrat Muhammad peace be upon him the last.
- Belief in the Last Day. This day all living souls and everything in the universe shall perish. The stars, sky, and mountains will disintegrate and fall down. Everything will be reduced to nothingness by the will of Allah.
- Belief in Divine Decree. Everything in the entire universe and beyond was preditermined by Almighty Allah. Our birth, our death, our intelligence, our beauty, our livelihood, the length of the existence of the world, and everything that will ever be was determined by Almighty Allah before He created anything.
- Belief in the Resurrection. The Resurrection is when all things will again come to life. On this day all will be called to account for their good and bad deeds.
More about the Fundamentals of Islam
Table of Contents