THIS IS ALABAMA FOOTBALL
- It is Wallace Wade. It is Bear Bryant. It is not Bill Curry.
- It is the Rose Bowl.
- It is hearing Keith Jackson call an Alabama game.
- It is watching George Teague running down Lamar Thomas in the 1993 Sugar
Bowl then rewinding it and watching it again.
- It is hearing the first notes of Sweet Home Alabama.
- It is the desire to beat Auburn at any competitive event that exists.
- It is a houndstooth hat.
- It is having enough pride to fight for your school but having enough class not to.
- It is cheering the same amount for a first down on second and 6 as on fourth and 1.
- It is watching Cornelius Bennett give Notre Dame quarterback Steve
Beuerlein a concussion on that October day in Birmingham in 1986.
- It is determining who you are going to date & marry by which team they
swear allegiance to.
- It is watching The Bear on the jumbotron before a game in Bryant-Denny
Stadium and almost seeing him leaning against the goalpost in the end zone.
- It is spending a day at The Bryant Museum and still not seeing everything.
- It is cool crisp autumn Saturdays where you can smell football in the air
and feel it whenever there is a slight breeze.
- It is watching The Bear get number 315 against Auburn.
- It is watching The Bear get number 323 against Illinois.
- It is hearing Paul Kennedy do the play-by-play when Van Tiffin kicked the
52-yard field goal against Auburn in 1985.
- It is knowing how many days until the start of a season year around.
- It is driving down Colonial Drive to see Bryant-Denny Stadium not the sorority girls.
- It is getting chills up and down your entire body whenever you hear
anything about the 1993 Sugar Bowl and the pride you feel because that
night tradition ruled.
- It is hearing The Bear's voice and having all the hair on the back of your
neck stand straight up because you know no matter he said, it was
- It is hearing The Million Dollar Band play "Yea Alabama" and knowing it just does not get any better.
- It is imagining hearing Penn State Quarterback Chuck Fusina ask Alabama
linebacker Barry Krauss "How close is it?" and hearing Krauss say "About
an inch, you'd better pass" right before fourth down during The Goal Line
Stand in the 1979 Sugar Bowl.
- It is almost coming to tears whenever Alabama loses to Auburn or
- It is The Kick. It is The Goal Line Stand. It is The Desperation Block.
- It is purposely not wearing any clothes with the colors orange and blue.
- It is the Third Saturday in October.
- It is not needing an alarm clock on game days, you sit bolt upright in the
bed long before the alarm goes off because you know that it is a gameday,
you can sleep after the bowl game.
- It is walking into a stadium and knowing Alabama will win the game no
matter who they are playing because is just the way it is supposed to be.
- It is the saying "Offense wins games, Defense wins national titles."
- It is the Bear Bryant 'A'.
- It is getting to the stadium hours before the game just to be there.
- It is walking into another team's stadium and having those fans hate you because you are from Alabama.
- It is the pride that a father has when he brings his children to a game so
they may cherish the tradition.
- It is beating LSU in Baton Rouge.
- It is hearing the crunch as a linebacker dressed in crimson and white hits
a running back dressed in orange and blue.
- It is the pride you take in being every team's rival.
- It is pulling for any team that is playing Auburn.
- It is pulling for any team that is playing Tennessee.
- It is hoping for the stadium to blow up when Auburn plays Tennessee.
- It is knowing that the SEC Championship is a birthright.
- It is being respected and feared at the same time.
- It is holding up four fingers at the end of the third quarter.
- It is knowing what "Mama Called" means.
- It is whipping Auburn 31-7 in Jordan-Hare Stadium when nobody picked you to win.
- It is NOT "The Jungle"
- It is having 21 Southeastern Conference Titles.
- It is having 12 National Titles.
- It is more than I can ever mentioned in this list.
- It is class.
- It is tradition.
- It is Alabama Football.