GLOBAL MISSION Ė FOREIGN TRAVEL
"I canít go to another country but I want to support global mission(s). What can I do? " We have members who want to support the global mission program(s), but are unable to travel due to health concerns, inability to get time off from school or work, or other constraints. Still, it is not necessary or practical for everyone to get on the plane anyway. Other ways to support the global mission goals of St. Mark Lutheran Church (ELCA) include the following twenty or so activities;
- Pray. Pray for the orphans. Pray for the Elim staff. Pray for the St. Mark mission participants.
- Write letters and send cards to the orphanage residents and staff.
- Donate educational materials and gifts to go to the orphanage.
- Attend a Global Mission Committee meeting to see what is happening and suggest ideas as well as observe what progress is being made.
- Encourage young people at St. Mark to get excited about participating in mission activities.
- Suggest ideas for gifts, crafts, or educational activities at the orphanage.
- Learn basic language phrases to improve communication skills in Bahasa Indonesia. (Add to letter writing and practice to make future Indonesian visitors feel more at home in Alaska.)
- Read about the northern Sumatra culture, or research it by using the internet to enhance your understanding of our mission partners in Indonesia.
- Make gifts to go to the orphanage.
- Contribute to development of the next Indonesian calendar.
- Translate photo titles and short phrases used in the guide, scrapbook or mission promotional materials.
- Learn to play an Indonesian musical instrument and play it with others at a gathering to promote mission activities. (Hasapi, Anklung, etc.)
- Assist in organizing a meal, music or entertainment event to increase awareness of Elim orphanage.
- Contribute a page or two to the travel guide prior to publication.
- Collect photos, art work, poems and articles/short stories to develop a scrap book about St. Mark for sharing with our friends in Pematangsiantar. (We received a similar book from them that is maintained in the Narthex).
- Make a new poster related to the mission project.
- Assist in making an exchange CD/DVD for viewing at the orphanage.
- Write an article or information pamphlet about the mission project.
- Distribute materials promoting and encouraging participation in the mission project(s) at St. Mark.
- Help pack boxes of materials being taken as checked baggage to Elim orphanage.
- View the Global Mission website and contribute ideas for improvement. (www.tobabatak.com).
- Help set up a post-visit presentation about the mission to Sumatra.
- Ask questions and talk about the mission, Elim orphanage, and how they relate Godís call to St. Mark.
For more information contact Clyde Pearce at 907-350-8076. You may also e-mail suggestions to email@example.com. Isaiah 6:8 ďAlso I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me.Ē Go in peace. Serve the Lord.