Welcome to Alaska!
Interesting Facts About Alaska!
- Entered Union: Jan. 3, 1959, Purchased from Russia in 1867
- Population: 626,932 (As of December 2000 census)
With the U.S. population now at 284.8 million Alaska represents 0.22% of U.S. citizens.
- There are now three states with fewer people than Alaska: Wyoming, Vermont, and North Dakota.
The population density in Alaska is still about one person per square mile.
- Capital: Juneau
- Largest city: Anchorage (nearly half of Alaska's residents live in Anchorage - 271,000 (Y 2000))
- Size: 656,424 square miles, total area
- Glaciers: More than 5,000 (5% of Alaska, and more than the rest of the entire inhabited world)
- Lakes: More than 3,000,000 (three million)
- Rivers: More than 3,000- Yukon River extends nearly 2,000 miles, the third largest in North America.
- Shoreline: 47,000 miles, of which 6,640 is marine coastline.
- Volcanos: More than 70 are active (the last significant eruption was in May, 1999)
- Earthquakes: 5,000 a year, over 1,000 greater than 3.5 (The "Big One", magnitude 9.2, occurred March 27, 1964)
- Tides: Highest range in world except for the Bay of Fundy -From a high of +33 feet to low of -5 feet in Anchorage
- Alaska is the only U.S. state that borders TWO other countries -
ALASKA STATE SYMBOLS
- State Motto: North to the future
- State Nickname: The Last Frontier (Some use Land of the Midnight Sun)
- State Flower: Forget-Me-Not (1917)
- State Bird: Willow Ptarmigan (1955)
- State Tree: Sitka Spruce (1962)
- Song: Alaska's Flag (Designed by 13 year old Benny Benson in 1926)
- State Insect: Dragonfly (Four spot skimmer-1995)
- State Gem: Jade
- State Mineral: Gold (1968)
- State Sport: Dog Mushing (1972)
- State Mammal: Moose (1998)
- State Marine Animal: Bowhead Whale
- State Fossil: Woolly Mammoth (1986)
- State Fish: King (Chinnok) Salmon
- State Wine: "I wanna go to Hawaii (Whine)
- Highest mountain: Mt. McKinley (Denali) 20,320 feet (6,194 meters), tallest peak in North America
- The points in the U.S.A. farthest north, west and east are all in Alaska.
Map of Alaska
ROAD DISTANCES in SOUTH CENTRAL ALASKA SOUTH BOUND Anchorage to Girdwood 37 miles Anchorage to Portage Glacier 49 miles Anchorage to Hope 80 miles Anchorage to Seward 127 miles Anchorage to Kenai 137 miles Anchorage to Homer End of The Road 226 miles
NORTH BOUND Anchorage to Wasilla 45 miles Anchorage to Willow 85 miles Anchorage to Talkeetna 113 miles Anchorage to Denali NP 249 miles Anchorage to Fairbanks 359 miles Anchorage to Valdez 304 miles Anchorage to Tok 328 miles Anchorage to Skagway 832 miles Anchorage to Whitehorse, BC 724 miles Anchorage to Los Angeles 3712 miles Anchorage to Miami 5434 miles
Links to activities, sights, tours and etc.
Top Alaska Links - List of Contents
Anchorage - things to do! (See downtown Anchorage on camera..Live!)
Photos of Alaska
Nature Photos Alaska Outdoor Photos Crow Pass Creek Anchorage, from Hilltop Fire Island, winter