Job 38 (New International Version)
The LORD Speaks ...
- Then the LORD answered Job out of the storm. He said:
- Who is this that darkens my counsel
with words without knowledge?
- Brace yourself like a man;
I will question you,
and you shall answer me.
- Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation?
Tell me, if you understand.
- Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know!
Who stretched a measuring line across it?
- On what were its footings set,
or who laid its cornerstone-
- while the morning stars sang together
and all the angels shouted for joy?
- Who shut up the sea behind doors
when it burst forth from the womb,
- when I made the clouds its garment
and wrapped it in thick darkness,
- when I fixed limits for it
and set its doors and bars in place,
- when I said, 'This far you may come and no farther;
here is where your proud waves halt'?
- Have you ever given orders to the morning,
or shown the dawn its place,
- that it might take the earth by the edges
and shake the wicked out of it?
- The earth takes shape like clay under a seal;
its features stand out like those of a garment.
- The wicked are denied their light,
and their upraised arm is broken.
- Have you journeyed to the springs of the sea
or walked in the recesses of the deep?
- Have the gates of death been shown to you?
Have you seen the gates of the shadow of death?
- Have you comprehended the vast expanses of the earth?
Tell me, if you know all this.
- What is the way to the abode of light?
And where does darkness reside?
- Can you take them to their places?
Do you know the paths to their dwellings?
- Surely you know, for you were already born!
You have lived so many years!
- Have you entered the storehouses of the snow
or seen the storehouses of the hail,
- which I reserve for times of trouble,
for days of war and battle?
- What is the way to the place where the lightning is dispersed,
or the place where the east winds are scattered over the earth?
- Who cuts a channel for the torrents of rain,
and a path for the thunderstorm,
- to water a land where no man lives,
a desert with no one in it,
- to satisfy a desolate wasteland
and make it sprout with grass?
- Does the rain have a father?
Who fathers the drops of dew?
- From whose womb comes the ice?
Who gives birth to the frost from the heavens
- when the waters become hard as stone,
when the surface of the deep is frozen?
- Can you bind the beautiful Pleiades?
Can you loose the cords of Orion?
- Can you bring forth the constellations in their seasons
or lead out the Bear with its cubs?
- Do you know the laws of the heavens?
Can you set up God's dominion over the earth?
- Can you raise your voice to the clouds
and cover yourself with a flood of water?
- Do you send the lightning bolts on their way?
Do they report to you, 'Here we are'?
- Who endowed the heart with wisdom
or gave understanding to the mind?
- Who has the wisdom to count the clouds?
Who can tip over the water jars of the heavens
- when the dust becomes hard
and the clods of earth stick together?
- Do you hunt the prey for the lioness
and satisfy the hunger of the lions
- when they crouch in their dens
or lie in wait in a thicket?
- Who provides food for the raven
when its young cry out to God
and wander about for lack of food?