Administered by the Collegiate Commissioners Association (CCA)
Do not sign prior to 8:00 a.m. on the following signing dates, or after the
final date listed for each sport.
1. Initial Enrollment in Four-Year Institution. This NLI is applicable
only to prospective student-athletes who will be entering four-year
institutions for the first time as fulltime students, except for 4-2-4
transfers who are graduating from junior college as outlined in
2. Financial Aid Requirement. I must receive in writing an award or
recommendation for athletics financial aid for the entire 2001
academic year from the institution named above at the time of my
signing for this NLI to be valid. A midyear junior college transfer
must receive athletics financial aid for the remainder of the 2001
academic year. The offer or recommendation shall list the terms and
condition of the award, including the amount and duration of the
financial aid. If such recommended financial aid is not approved
within the institution's normal time period for awarding financial
aid, this NLI shall be invalid.
2. a. Professional Sports Contract. If I sign a professional sports
contract I will remain bound by the provisions of this NLI even if
the institution named above is prohibited from making athletically
related financial aid available to me under NCAA rules.
3. Provisions of Letter Satisfied.
3. a. One-Year Attendance Requirement Met. The terms of this NLI shall be
satisfied if I attend the institution named on Page 4 for at least
one academic year.
3. b. Junior College Graduation. The terms of this NLI shall be satisfied
if I graduate from junior college after signing a NLI while in high
school or dring my first year in junior college.
4. Letter Becomes Null and Void. This NLI shall be declared null and void
if any of the following occurs:
4. a. Admissions and Eligibility Requirements. "This NLI shall be
declared null and void if the institution with which I signed
notifies me in writing that I have been denied admission, or if I
have not, by the institution's opening day of classes in the fall
of 1998 (or, for a mid-year junior college football signee, the
opening day of its classes of the winter or spring term of 1999),
met the institution's requirements for
4. a. admission, its academic requirements for financial aid to athletes,
and the NCAA requirement for freshman financial aid (NCAA Bylaw
14.3) or the NCAA junior college transfer rule." The student must
meet both of the first two requirements, and one of the last two.
4. a. (1) It is presumed that I am eligible for admission and financial
aid until information is submitted to the contrary. Thus, it
is mandatory for me, upon request, to provide a transcript of
my previous academic record and an application for admission
to the institution named above.
4. a. (2) If I am eligible for admission, but the institution named
above defers admission to a subsequent term, this HLI shall be
rendered null and void. However, if I defer my admission, the
NLI remains binding.
4. a. (3) If I become a nonqualifier or partial qualifier (per NCAA
14.3), this NLI shall be rendered null and void.
4. a. (4) If I am a Midyear Junior College Football Transfer signee, the
NLI remains binding for the following fall term if I was
eligible for admission and financial aid, and met the NCAA
junior college transfer requirements for competition, for the
winter or spring term, but chose to delay my admission.
4. b. One-Year Absence. This NLI shall be null and void if I have not
attended any institution (or attended an institution, including a
junior college, that does not participate in the NLI Program) for
at least one academic year after signing this NLI, provided my
request for athletics financial aid for a subsequent fall term is
not approved by the institution with which I signed. To receive
this waiver, I must file with the appropriate conference
commissioner a statement from the Director of Athletics at the
institution named above that such financial aid will not be
available to me for the requested fall term.
4. c. Service in the U.S. Armed Forces. Church Mission. This NLI shall be
null and void if I serve on active duty with the armed forces of
the United States or an official church mission for at least
eighteen (18) months.
4. d. Discontinued Sport. This NLI shall be null and void if my sport is
discontinued by the institution named on page 4.
4. e. Recruiting Rules Violation. If the institution (or a representative
of its athletic interests) named on page 4 violiated NCAA or
conference rules while recruiting me, as found through the NCAA or
conference enforcement process or acknowledged by the institution,
this NLI shall be declared null and void. Such declaration shall
not take place until all appeals to the NCAA or conference for
restoration of eligibility have been concluded.
5. Basic Penalty. I understand that if I do not attend the institution
named on Page 4 for one full academic year, and enroll in another
institution participating in the NLI program, I may not reptesent the
latter institution in intercollegiate athletics competition unitl I
have completed two full academic years of residence at the latter
institution. Further, I understand that I shall be charged with the
loss of two seasons of intercollegiate athletics eompetition in all
sports except as otherwise provided in this Letter. This is in addition
to any eligibility expended at the institution at which I initially
5. a. Early Signing Period Penalties. A prospective student-athlete who
signs a National Letter of Intent during the early signing period
(November 9-16, 2001) will be ineligible for practice and
competition in football for a two-year period and also shall be
charged with two seasons of competition in the sport of football.
6. Mutual Release Agreement. A release procedure shall be provided in the
event the institution and I mutually agree to release each other from
any obligations to the NLI. If I receive a formal release, I shall not
be eligible for competition at a second institution during my first
academic year of residence there and shall lose one season of
competition. The form must be approved by me, my parent or legal
guardian, and the Director of Athletics of the insitution named above.
A copyof the release form shall be filed with the conference which
processes this NLI.
6. a. Authority to Release. A coach is not authorized to void, cancel or
give a release to this NLI.
6. b. Extent of Release. A release from this NLI shall apply to all
participating institutions and shall not be conditional or
selective by institution.
7. Appeal Process. I understand that the NLI Steering Committee has been
authorized to issue interpretations, settle disputes and consider
petition for release from the provisions of this NLI where there are
extenuating circumstances. I further understand its decision may be
appealed to the NLI Appeals Committee, whose decision shall be final
8. Only One Valid NLI Permitted. I understand that I may sign only one
valid NLI,except as listed below.
8. a. Subsequent Signing Year. If this NLI is rendered null and void
under Item 4, I remain free to enroll in any institution of my
choice where I am admissible and shall be permitted to sign another
NLI in a subsequent signing year.
8. b. Junior College Exception. If I signed a NLI while in high school or
during my first year in junior college, I may sign another NLI in
the signing year in which I am scheduled to graduate from junior
college. If I graduate, the second NLI shall be binding on me;
otherwise, the original NLI I signed shall remain valid.
9. Recruiting Ban After Signing. I understand that all participating
conference and institutions are obligated to respect my signing and
shall cease to recruit me upon my signing this NLI. I shall notify any
recruiter who contacts me that I have signed.
10. Institutional Signatures Required Prior to Submission. This NLI must
be signed and dated by the Director of Athletics or his/her authorized
representative before submission to me and my parents (or legal
guardian) for our signatures. This NLI may be mailed prior to the
initial signing date. When a NLI is issued prior to the initial
signing date, the "date of issuance" shall be considered to be the
initial signing date and not the date that the NLI was signed or
mailed by the institution.
11. Parent/Guardian Signature Required. My parent or legal guardian is
required to sign this NLI regardless of my age or marital status. If I
do not have a living parent or a legal guardian, this NLI may be
signed by the person who is acting in the capacity of a guardian. An
explanation of the circumstances shall accompany this NLI.
12. Falsification of NLI. If I falsigy any part of this NLI, or if I have
knowledge that my parent or guardian falsified any part of this NLI, I
understand that I shall forfeit the first two years of my eligibility
at any NLI participating institution as outlined in Item 5.
13. 14-Day Signing Deadline. If my parent or legal guardian and I fail to
sign this NLI within 14 days of issuance to me, it will be invalid. In
that event, another NLI may be issued withing the appropriate signing
period. (NOTE: This does not apply to the early signing period)
14. Institutional Filing Deadline. this NLI must be filed with the
appropriate conference by the institution named above within 21 days
after the date of final signature or it will be invalid. In that
event, another NLI may be issued.
15. No Additions or Deletions Allowed to NLI. No additions or deletions
may be made to this NLI or the Mutual Release Agreement.
16. Official Time for Validity. This NLI shall be considered to be
officially signed on the final date of signature by myself or my
parent (or guardian). If no time of day is listed, an 11:59 p.m. time
17. Statute of Limitations. This NLI shall carry a four-year statute of
18. Nullification of Other Agreements. My signature on this NLI nullifies
any agreements, oral or otherwise, which would release me from the
conditions stated on this NLI.
19. If Coach Leaves. I understand that I have signed this NLI with the
institution and not for a particular sport or individual. For
example, if the coach leaves the institution or the sports program, I
remain bound by the provisions of this NLI.
2001 NATIONAL LETTER OF INTENT (NLI)
Name of Prospect ________________________________________________________________________________
(Type Proper Name, Including Middle Name or Initial)
SIGNED___(Director of Athletics)_______(Date Issued to Prospect)__________________________
Sport (Men's)_________________________Sport (Women's)______________________________________
This is to certify my decision to enroll at _________________(Name of Institution)__________
I certify that I have read all terms and conditions included in the four
pages of this document, I have discussed them with the coach and/or other
staff representatives of the institution named above, and I fully
understand, accept and agree to be bound by them. (All three copies of this
NLI must be signed individually.)