HSH Projects and Plans
- The contruction of an east to north curve at Vorė was started in the late 1980's but has not been completed.
- A preliminary study was completed in late 1999 on a possible link between Rreshen and Prizren (Kosova) via Morine. The link would be involve 100km of new construction in difficult terrain (83km in Albania), and refurbishment of the abandoned section from Milot to Rreshen.
- Track refurbishment. Shkozet - Kashar completed in 1996; Kashar - Tiranë work was suspended between early 1997 and November 1997, but later resumed with a completion date in 1998. Shkozet - Rrogozhinë planned to start in 1998, for completion by 2000 (Progress on this currently unknown).
- Completed Project: Replacement track for the rails stolen during 1997 to the north of Shkodër. The Rubik - Rrëshen line has been closed to provide rails for north of Shkodër. The section from Bajze to Han-i-Hotit (Montenegro border) re-opened in April 2002. The section from Bajze to Shkodër has now been relayed and re-opened in March 2003.
- 58 second-hand passenger carriages are due to be delivered, but dates are not known.
- Talks at Government level have been made with Hungary for a project to the refurbish the system.
- Aquisition of further passenger carriages and possibly a diesel multiple unit are being investigated. A regular interval service between Durrës and Tiranë is planned.
- Trans-Balkan East-West Corridor plan includes a rail link from Qanë-e-Thanes to Kicevo. This will provide part of a link from the Adriatic to the Black Sea. In December 1998 talks were held to progress this plan.
- A link from Pogradec to Florina in Greece is planned.
- A freight branch line from Lezhë to Shengijn port. This plan had been abandoned in the early 1990's but has now been re-instated as part of the expansion of Shengijn port. No dates for start or completion of the work.
- In 2003 plans for a branch line to Rinas Airport (north of Tiranė) were announced as part of proposals submitted by General Electric. The proposals also include track and station building refurbishment.
- Completion of the line from Rreshen to Burrel and Klos - on hold; not economically viable at present.
- Electricification - not economically viable at present.
HSH Index Page
Mail address is nomail (at) yahoo(dot) co (dot) uk
To type the true address, remove spaces, replace nomail by gobytrainmail, replace (at) with the @ symbol and replace (dot) with the usual full-stop/period symbol (this is an anti-spam measure).
Please include the word Albania in the message subject line as this will help in seeing messages amongst the large amounts of spam I recieve