Southern Colonies Fact Sheet
- What were the names of the Southern Colonies?
- Why did King Charles I give Lord Baltimore a charter to
start a new colony?
- Why was the colony named Maryland?
- Who started the colony of Carolina? This colony was
later divided into what two
- What was the last group of settlements to founded and in
- This area the English called the southern colonies was
home to several tribes of Native Americans.
Name the tribes.
- Which was the largest
- How was this tribe better able to protect their lands?
- Who was Chief Tomochichi? Where did he live? Was his
tribe part of the Creek Confederacy?
- Who was General James Oglethrope? What reasons did King
George II have for allowing Oglethorpe to
start the colony of Georgia?
- What did farmers find that the
red clay soil
Appalachian foothills was good for?
- How long did the growing season last along the Atlantic
Coastal Plain? What did planters in this region
- How did Chief Tomochichi help the colonists to
- By the 1750ís what had
changed in the Georgia colony?
Back to Web Quest Page