NOTES ON THE TAROT
by Frater S.R.M.D.
In the Tree of Life in the Tarot, each path forms the connecting link between two of the Sephiroth. The King and the Queen are the correlations of the Abba and the Aima in that suit; the Knight or Prince answers to Microprosopus, and the Knave or Princess which was anciently a female figure, is referred to the Bride, Kallah or Malkah.
Combining, then, the material attributions of the Sephiroth and the Path, it results that:
0. Fool=The Crown of Wisdom, the Primum Mobile acting through the Air on the Zodiac.
1. The Juggler=The Crown of Understanding, the beginning of material production, the Primurn Mobile acting through the Philosophic Mercury on Saturn.
2. High Priestess=The Crown of Beauty, the beginning of Sovereignty and Beauty, the Primum Mobile acting through the Moon on the Sun.
3. Empress=The Wisdom of Understanding, the Union of the powers of Origination and Production; the Sphere of the Zodiac acting through Venus upon Saturn.
4. Emperor=The Wisdom of Sovereignty and Beauty, and the originator of them; the Sphere of the Zodiac acting through Aries upon the Sun, and initiating Spring.
5. Hierophant=The Wisdom and fountain of Mercy, the Sphere of the Zodiac acting through Taurus upon Jupiter.
6. The Lovers=The Understanding of Beauty and Production of Beauty and Sovereignty. Saturn acting through Gemini upon Sol.
7. Chariot=Understanding acting upon Severity. Saturn acting through Cancer upon Mars.
8. Strength=Fortitude. Mercy tempering Severity. The Glory of Strength. Jupiter acting through Leo upon Mars.
9. Hermit=The Mercy of Beauty, the Magnificence of Sovereignty, Jupiter acting through Virgo upon Sol.
10. Wheel of Fortune=The Mercy and Magnificence of Victory. Jupiter acting through Jupiter direct upon Venus.
11. Justice=The Severity of Beauty and Sovereignty. Mars acting through Libra upon Sol.
12. The Hanged Man= The Severity of Splendour. Execution of Judgment. Mars acting through Water upon Mercury.
13. Death= The Sovereignty and result of Victory. Sol acting through Scorpio upon Venus, or Osiris under the destroying power of Typhon afflicting Isis.
14. Temperance=The Beauty of a firm Basis. The Sovereignty of Fundamental Power. Sol acting through Sagittarius upon Luna.
15. The Devil= The Sovereignty and Beauty of Material (and therefore false) splendour. Sol acting through Capricorn upon Mercury.
16. The Tower= The Victory over Splendour. Venus acting through Mars upon Mercury. Avenging force.
17. Star= The Victory of Fundamental Strength. Venus acting through Aquarius upon Lima. Hope.
18. Moon= The Victory of the Material. Venus acting through Pisces upon the Cosmic Elements, deceptive effect of the apparent power of Material Forces.
19. Sun= The Splendour of the Material World. Mercury acting through the Sun upon the Moon.
20. Judgment= The Splendour of the Material World. Mercury acting through Fire upon the Cosmic Elements.
21. Universe =The Foundation of the Cosmic Elements and of the Material World. Luna acting through Saturn upon the Elements.