“We stood upon a dark and rocky cliff that overhung the restless seas. In the sky above us was a certain glorious sun, encircled by that brilliant rainbow, which they of the Path of the Chamelion know.
“I beheld, until the heavens opened, and a form like unto the Mercury of the Greeks (1) descended, flashing like the lightning; and he hovered between the sky and the sea. In his hand was the staff (2) wherewith the eyes of mortals are closed in sleep, and wherewith he also, at will, re-awakeneth the sleeper; and terribly did the globe at its summit dart forth rays. And he bare a scroll whereon was written:
Lumen est in Deo,
Lux in homine factum,
Sive Stelloc errantes,
Omnia in Lux,
Lux in Lumine
Lumen in Centrum,
Centrum in Circulo,
Circulum ex Nihilo,
Quid scis, id ens. (3)
In fidelitate et veritate universas ab aeternitate. (8)
Omnia sunt Unum,
et Omnia in Omnibus.
Then Hermes cried aloud, and said:
“I am Hermes Mercurius, the Son of God, the messenger uniting Superiors and Inferiors. I exist not without them, and their union is in me. I bathe in the Ocean. I fill the expanse of Air. I penetrate the depths beneath.”
And the Frater who was with me, said unto me:
“Thus is the Balance of Nature maintained, for this Mercury is the beginning of all movement. This He, (10) this She, this IT, is in all things, but hath wings which thou canst not constrain. For when thou sayest ‘He is here’ he is not here, for by that time he is already away, for he is Eternal Motion and Vibration.”
Nevertheless in Mercury must thou seek all things. Therefore not without reason did our Ancient Fratres say that the Great Work was to “Fix the Volatile.” There is but one place where he can be fixed, and that is the Centre, a centre exact. “Centrum in trigono centri.” (11) The Centre in the triangle of the Centre.
If thine own soul be baseless how wilt thou find a standing point whence to fix the soul of the Universe?
“Christus de Christi,
Mercury de Mercurio,
Per viam crucis,
Per vitam Lucis
Deus te Adjutabitur!” (12)
TRANSLATION OF AND NOTES
ON DOCUMENT M
By C. H. FRATER, S.RM.D.
1. Hermes is Greek, Mercury is Roman.
2. Compare with v. 47 ODYSSEY: “Him promptly obeyed the active destroyer of Argus. Forth sped he, and under his feet he bound his ambrosial sandals. Then, taking his staff wherewith he the eyes of mortals closeth at will, and the sleeper at will reawakens.”
3. Translation: The Light is in God, the LVX hath been made into Man. Whether Sun, or Moon, or Wandering Stars, all are in Lux, the Lux in the Light, the Light in the Centre, the Centre in the Circle, the Circle from the Nothingness (Negative or Ain) What thou mayest be (i.e. what thou hast in thyself, the capability of being) that shalt thou be (or become).
4. Flatus. Ignis. Aqua. Terra. (Air. Fire. Water. Earth.)
5. Ether. Sal. Terrae. (Ether, the Salt of the Earth.)
6. Ether. Subtilis. Totius. Orbis. (The subtle Ether of the whole universe.)
7. Ether. Ruens. In. Terra. (The Ether rushing into the Earth.)
8. Let it be (or become). It is. Be it so. It shall be (or endure). In Universal faithfulness and truth from eternity. Now an hour, Now a day, Now a year, Now an age, all things are One, and All in All. ETERNITY.
9. These ten letters are Notaricons of: Ab Kether. Ex Chokmah. Tu Binah. Ex Chesed. Regina Geburah. Nunc Tiphareth. In Netzach. Totius Hod. Ad Yesod. Saeculorum Malkuth. (From the Crown, out of Wisdom—Thou, O Understanding art Mercy, Queen of Severity. Now the perfect Beauty, in the Victory, of all Splendour, for the Foundation, of the Ages of the Universe.)
10. Probably alludes to the Three Principles.
11. This was, I believe, but am not certain, the motto of our Frater Count Adrian a Meynsicht, otherwise known as Henricus Madathanus.
12. The Christ from the Christ. The Mercury from the Mercury, Through the Path of the Cross, Through the life of the Light, God shall be Thy Help.
In examining the number of Hebrew letters in the Sephirotic names on the Tree of Life, it will be observed that Kether consists of three letters whose equivalent then is the Triangle among the lineal figures. Chokmah and Binah each of four letters, as also Yesod; the actual lineal figure is then the Square. Gedulah, Geburah, Tiphareth and Malkuth have five letters each, equivalent to the Pentagram. While Chesed, Pachad, Netzach and Hod have each three like Kether, as also Daath.
The total number of letters in these names on the Tree will then be 50, the number of the Gates of the Understanding, as is laid down in the Qabalah.
Then in the ensuing translations of the Names of the Sephiroth into lineal symbols, what is at once evident is the absolutely harmonious balance of forms which results. Pachad is a correspondence of Geburah and means Fear. Gedulah is a correspondence of Chesed and means Magnificence.
The Supernal Triangle (Triad) will then be represented by a Triangle surmounting the two Squares.
The Sephiroth may thus be summed up in three classes, the Triangle, Square and Pentagram, the respective lineal equivalents of Chesed, Binah, and Geburah, six under the Triangle in Kether, Pachad, Chesed, Netzach, Hod and Daath. Three under the Square, Chokmah, Binah and Yesod. Four under the Pentagram: Gedulah, Geburah, Tiphareth, and Malkuth. Now, if as in the diagram, we draw lines connecting those Sephiroth which are represented by the same lineal equivalents, we shall find that the lines number Twenty
Two, that is, the number of the Paths in the Tree. For you require 13 lines to join initially those Sephiroth under the Triangle, 3 for those under the Square, and 6 for those under the Pentagram which adds to 22.
The letters of each Sephirotic Name may then be translated into the lineal symbols of the Sephiroth to which their numerical value is referred by the Qabalah of the Nine Chambers.
If these Letters be again translated into their Yetziratic attribution and this combined with the former, we shall obtain an analysis compounded of both scales of interpretation.
In the diagram, the lineal figures of the tens and hundreds are distinguished from those of the units by being encircled with either one or two rays, according as to tens or hundreds are implied. If these be further placed within the Lineal Figure of the Whole Name, a species of Hieroglyphic Form of each Sephirah will result; which may again be represented by a cognate Angelic form, as taught in the paper on the Formation of Sigils from the Rose.
We shall then find from the Qabalah of Nine Chambers that the numerical values of the 22 paths are thus allotted under the Sephiroth:
1, 10, 100
Air, Virgo, Pisces
2, 20, 200
Mercury, Jupiter, Sun
3, 30, 300
Moon, Libra, Fire
4, 40, 400
Venus, Water, Saturn
This classification may, then, be again referred to the lineal figures thus:
Air, Virgo, Pisces
Point within a circle
Mercury, Jupiter, Sun
Luna, Libra, Fire
Venus, Water, Saturn