Building A: The Gaol Governor's Residence. It has an underground passage leading to the Chapel (M).
Building B: Men's cellblock.
Building C: Men's cellblock.
Building D: The Gaol Kitchen.
Building E: The Gaol Boiler House.
The Gaol Infirmary
Building F: The Gaol Infirmary. The bars have now been removed.
The Infirmary (Building F) now.
Building G: Small storage sheds.
Building H: This small sandstone building once provided facilities for the gaol's female warders.
Building J: Men's cellblock.
Building K: The Kennal Building, built later as a studio for Sir Bertram Mackennal, one of the many famous sculptors to work at East Sydney Technical College.
Building L: Women's cellblock, first used in 1841 (see picture). Now used as the Cell Block Theatre.
Building M: Circular building held the gaol bathhouse on the ground floor, and the chapel on the first floor. There was a mezzanine level of tiered seating above the chapel level, with bridges connecting to the upper levels of cellblocks L, B and C. The original stained glass windows are there proclaiming "...joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth...".
Building N: Containing the only remaining watchtower.
Building O & P: Not sure.
Building Q: The Gaol Morgue, now used (sob) as an electricity substation.
Building R: This Y-shaped 1866 building was a cellblock with gallows suspended in the fork of the Y (see picture). (See sketch of a hanging.) The archway leading to the condemned cell is now in the wall of the teachers' offices (see picture), and the staff toilets (gasp) have been built suspended in the fork of the Y. .
Building S: Built as part of the walls separating the exercise yards.
Building T: Gaol Workshops and Stores.
Return to Darlinghurst Gaol Page