Site hosted by Build your free website today!

We are concerned with twenty-five pairs of wires in the splice.  These pairs of wires come from the central office on one of the fifteen hundred pair cables and leave on the other fifteen hundred and the six hundred pair cable.  The engineer is asking us to trim off the twenty-five pairs leaving on the fifteen hundred pair cable going to the field side of the splice.

Here I have opened the lead sleeve. The lead was 3/8" to 1/2" thick.  The splice was wrapped in the original muslin and here I have cut it open to expose the wirework.  It's a twist and sleeve splice.  The splicer stripped each wire of its' insulation.  He then placed a cotton sleeve over a wire and then twisted each of the wires together to make the connection.  He then folded the connection over and slipped the sleeve over the exposed conductor to insulate it.  I don't know the process but they would also soak paraffin into the splice.  I don't know why they did that.  Maybe it acted as glue to keep the sleeves from slipping.

This is a twisted pair connection.  A & C are three conductors of three pairs twisted together.  B & D are what is left of the pair I have cut off.  And what remains is the fifteen hundred and the six hundred pairs connected.  E is a cable pair.

I have a photo of my trainee seated to illustrate the size of this manhole.  By the time you get Larry, the tool bucket, junk bag, two seat boxes, supplies and my big ass in there, there isn't much room.  The manhole is so narrow and someone built a splice in front of a couple of cables that there isn't much space to swing a hammer without bumping your elbow. What you don't see is the ladder we used to get down there.  We had to push it up and place it on top of a splice case to get some workspace.

Here's a photo of Larry standing.  We had to work to the side of splice because the wasn't room in front of the splice.