The information on this site is taken from the book"Woods Prairie Cemetery". The history of Woods Prairie Cemetery goes back to the very beginning of the settlement of Texas. Zadock Woods came to Texas in 1823 and went back to Tray Missouri in 1824 and brought his family back to what would become Fayette County, Texas. He was married to Minerva Cottle and they had 5 children who came to Texas with them. Minerva, Montreville, Norman B., Henry Gonzales and Leander. He built a fort at Woods Prairie in 1828 on his son Montrevilles land. It was the settlers protection against the still marauding Indians. The last Indian threat was the Battle of Plum Creek in 1840. The next threat was from Mexico. Many of the men from Woods Prairie joined a company to fight the Mexicans had invaded Texas. Zadock Woods was an old man but joined anyway.He and 35 others were killed in the Dawson Creek Massacre. They were later buried on Monument Hill. TEXT OF THE DAWSON MASSACRE Occurred in this vicinity on September 18, 1842 when Captain Nicholas Mosey Dawson and 53 men from La Grange, in attempting to join Captain Matthew Caldwell (Old Paint) and his company of Texas Volunteers during the Battle of Salado, were surrounded by Mexican Forces and 36 slain, 15 were taken prisoner, only 3 escaped. The site of the fort is marked with a granite monument. It is about a quarter of a mile north of the Woods Prairie Cemetery. TEXT OF THE MONUMENT AT WOODS FORT. Site of Woods' Fort Used by colonist of this vicinity as a protection against Indian attacks 1828-1842 Fortified residence of Zadock Woods Veteran of the War of 1812 One of the Old "Three Hundred" of Austin's Colonists. Oldest man killed in the "Dawson Massacre" September 18, 1842 Another early settler was James and Azabuh (Cottle) Robinson. They lived about two tenths of a mile west of Woods Prairie Cemetery. Joseph Robinson lived there too. There is a granite marker at Robinson's Park, the first roadside park in Texas, a half mile west of Woods Prairie Cemetery Lane. An unknown man who worked for Joseph Robinson died and was the first grave opened in the shade of a giant oak tree, in what is now the northwest corner of the cemetery. The next graves were probably James and Azabuh Robinson, sites 35 & 36. The oldest tombstone is for Minerva Cottle Woods who died in 1839. In the southwest corner are several graves of Chinese and convict labors who probably died of yellow fever while they were working on the railroad. The Cemetery became official in October 1875 when I.P.B. Faison sold the land for fifty gold dollars.
Allen, Calley, Bush, Carlson, Carson, Craven, Darby, Eisenberg, Farris, Fleming, Greve, Green, Harrell, Haynie, Hays, Hazlewood, Hess, House, Huff, Langston, McClellan, McClure, McQueen, Michulka, Moore, Nichols, Norris, Reeves, Robinson, Scallorn, Shook, Shropshire, Smith, Stiles, Threadgill, Williams, Woods,Young
Surnames in Woods Prairie Cemetery:
INDEX OF WOODS PRAIRIE CEMETERY
For a full view of the cemetery placement of the graves go to the pages below. Page 1 Grave # 1 thru #50
Page 2 Grave # 51 thru #104
Page 3 Grave # 104 thru #169
Home Page Plot map of the Woods Prairie Cemetery Shows the placement of the graves in the cemetery 1830 Map Map shows the area of Woods Prairie Cemetery and location of early residents.