Hearty Chili Con Carne
- 1 T. vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely grated carrots
- 1 T. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 2 lb. ground beef
- 3 (16 0z.)cans dark red kidney beans
- 1 large can tomatoes
- 1 - 16 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 T. taco sauce - mild, medium or hot - your preference
- grated cheddar cheese (optional)
In a medium skillet, saute vegetables in oil until tender. Set aside. In a
very large saucepan or dutch oven, brown ground beef. Drain off fat. Add seasonings. Mix well, simmer a minute or two then add
sauteed vegetables, canned tomatoes and tomato sauce. Bring to a very low
boil, reduce heat and simmer about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add kidney beans, stir, and simmer another 10 to 15 minutes.
Top individual servings with grated cheddar.