Southern Style Cornbread Dressing
Makes 6-8 cups, Serving 8-10
Prepare Texas Style Cornbread recipe then,
Break into 1-inch pieces (including crumbs), spread in even layer on a baking sheet and dry in 250º oven for 50-60 minutes.
1 pound bulk pork sausage, broken into 1-inch pieces
5 Tablespoons sweet butter
1 large onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1/2 cup red bell pepper
1 cup green bell pepper
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped or minced
1/4 cup fresh parsley
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves
1 tablespoon minced fresh sage leaves
2 tablespoons kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
1 cup chicken broth
1. Cook sausage until brown. With slotted spoon transfer sausage to medium size bowl.
2. Saute onion, celery, peppers and garlic in butter and cook stirring often until onions are transparent.
3. Break cornbread into a large bowl. The pieces should be about 1".
4. Add cornbread, parsley, and all herbs to sausage.
5.Add vegetables and toss until the ingredients are well blended.
6. Add chicken broth and gently fold to moisten mixture.
7. Turn into a shallow well buttered casserole dish and bake at 350º until brown on top.